Borobudur

Thanksgiving 5-days Weekend thread | BOSS: 42.2m, Napoleon: 32.75m, Wish: 31.6m, Trolls: 25.6m, Thanksgiving: 10.9m

21 minutes ago, grim22 said:

Disney seemed to run into live action remake fatigue, CBM fatigue and families deciding to wait for animated movies on streaming all at the same time. Not even going to get into the mess that is Star Wars.

Star Wars makes me so sad. Remembering how hyped i was for TFA in 2015 ... and now i actively avoid anything that Disney is putting out for it.

• Like 4

32 minutes ago, Eric Bonaparte said:

Thanks Charlie.

28 minutes ago, Eric Bonaparte said:

Ouch it's really bad for Wish , ok for Napoleon . Clearly I see :

1) : HG : 30M , 43-44M 5 days

2) : Wish : 28M, 41M 5 Days

3) : Trolls 3 : 22M , 32M 5 days

4) : Napoleon : 20M , 30M 5 days

• Like 1

11 hours ago, keysersoze123 said:

Just Wish and it seem to finish almost on par with Encanto opening wednesday. Actually fewer tickets but ATP is higher 2 years later and so its almost on par. So seeing 6m true wednesday and 8.3m with previews. Just meh considering where the presales were. Way worse walkups than Trolls last week. I think meh reviews had definite impact for sure. 

Well done on almost nailing the number for Wednesday.

17 minutes ago, VanillaSkies said:

Hunger Games actually has a good chance to come out on top. Will be fun to watch.

Would continue the tradition of the series coming out on top during both pre-Thanksgiving and Thanksgiving weekends.

• Like 2

All I can say is that I know the trailers for Gladiator 2 are going to be EPIC. Zimmer’s score fading in, some shots of some epic battle sequences.

However the movie turns out, I think we have the potential for one of the all-time great trailers.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Cappoedameron said:

Any weekend drop above 40% is looking almost impossible now. sub-35% drop ($29M or more) is actually starting to look reasonable? 

It's funny how Lionsgate rebooting both Hunger Games and Saw looked like desperate corporation Hail Marys by them, but they both ended up turning out installments that their respective fanbases have enthusiastically embraced.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Cappoedameron said:

Some people in the movie's thread talking about the RT score of it when the reviews came out seem to have forgotten that RT score is not the same as WOM.

Glad it's doing well.

Edited by Arlborn

5 hours ago, Hatebox said:

Great to see Disney continue to flounder. 

Re: Napoleon, I’ve actually heard a few people in Real Life talk about it, which is very rare for movies these days. Happy to eat crow if it finishes with a good total but it’s probably safe to say that isn’t happening. I want Scott to succeed as much as anyone but his storytelling instincts have been fuzzy for while. 

I think the problem with Ridley Scott for well over a decade now is that he's become extremely efficient as a filmmaker to the point where the quality of his movies becomes almost totally reliant on the quality of the scripts that hit his desk.  When you're averaging 1 movie per year(and sometimes 2) that doesn't leave you much time to breath in the pre-production phase to smooth out any kinks in the scripts or change them overall for the better.  Like, he's literally in pre-production on his next film after Gladiator 2 and Gladiator 2 isn't even done filming yet and he does this with many of his films.  Always at least 2-3 projects in the oven at once with divided attention. 

Over the past 15 years, many(including myself) would argue that Ridley Scott has only made 2 truly great films which are The Martian and The Last Duel.   What do both of those have in common?  They're both written by great and proven screenwriters.   Everything else hes made after American Gangster has either been just okay or shit(looking at you Exodus).

3 hours ago, DInky said:

:lol:

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

13 minutes ago, Arlborn said:

Some people in the movie's thread talking about the RT score of it when the reviews came out seem to have forgotten that RT score is not the same as WOM.

Glad it's doing well.

It did get a B+ cinemascore though.