Borobudur

Thanksgiving 5-days Weekend thread | BOSS: 42.2m, Napoleon: 32.75m, Wish: 31.6m, Trolls: 25.6m, Thanksgiving: 10.9m

So where can I read a balanced and spoiler free analysis of the Marvels flopping?

Context:

Although it looked more of the same to me (and almost like Shazam 2 with cheesy gods appearing) that never stopped Marvel before. And I also disagree with the Reddit/Blu-Ray.com sentiment that post-EG has been worse than pre-EG since I've never been a diehard fanboy but a casual watcher throughout the whole series there are many, many average films pre-EG. The bigger issue is that post-EG films don't seem linked to a bigger story (not that they need to be) but having EG happen just destabilises them fundamentally. I also don't know why Ant Man 3 was so badly received since it was like 1 and 2 which were decent/enjoyable. 

My feelings haven't really been similar to the masses re: MCU for most films so it is peculiar as to what straw broke the camel's back. Disney+? Endgame being the ending? More right wing Americans?

12 minutes ago, BK007 said:

So where can I read a balanced and spoiler free analysis of the Marvels flopping?

Context:

Although it looked more of the same to me (and almost like Shazam 2 with cheesy gods appearing) that never stopped Marvel before. And I also disagree with the Reddit/Blu-Ray.com sentiment that post-EG has been worse than pre-EG since I've never been a diehard fanboy but a casual watcher throughout the whole series there are many, many average films pre-EG. The bigger issue is that post-EG films don't seem linked to a bigger story (not that they need to be) but having EG happen just destabilises them fundamentally. I also don't know why Ant Man 3 was so badly received since it was like 1 and 2 which were decent/enjoyable. 

My feelings haven't really been similar to the masses re: MCU for most films so it is peculiar as to what straw broke the camel's back. Disney+? Endgame being the ending? More right wing Americans?

I don’t agree with everything on a personal level, but here are what seem to be  the main conclusions around here:

- Disney+(fatigue, feels like homework having to watch so many TV shows to get fully caught up),

- 2 main characters that were TV characters,

- Captain Marvel herself not being a character that attracts many people 

- Endgame feeling like an ending to many people,

- the big bad of this phase sucking(Kang),

-Ant-Man 3 deflating hype

- Thor 4 feeling like a parody for many people and devaluing the brand,

- this phase feeling directionless,

- MCU not feeling the same without Iron Man and/or Captain America,

- New superheroes in general just not hitting in the same way,

- Too many new superheroes and too little time spent on them,

- COVID changing habits and making people more demanding,

- Main audience for MCU getting older while younger audiences aren’t being pulled, 

- Weaker scripts

Etc etc etc

Or, as I like to call it, death by a thousand cuts. Some of those being bigger, some smaller, but it all added up.

Edited by Arlborn
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, jeffthehat said:

. I feel like a faithful Dragon Ball Z adaptation could do a billy. Live action anime in general feels untapped 

think an anime re-adaptation would be the way to go, with the best animation in the business and with lots of effort put into the dubbing;  there are 7 sagas between db and dbz, you could easily get 2 or 3 trilogies out of that 

Edited by interiorgatordecorator
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, BK007 said:

Context:

Here were my thoughts on OW

On 11/11/2023 at 7:39 PM, grim22 said:

The Marvels didn't bomb because of feminism backlash any more than Captain Marvel did well because of feminism support. They are both products of their time in the franchise despite being just 4 years apart.

Captain Marvel was released between Infinity War and just before Endgame and on International Women's day. It was released in a franchise which was about to hit it's absolute peak just 6 weeks later. At that moment, Marvel could literally release Howard the Duck and get it to 250M domestic. And on the second weekend, Marvel released a trailer for Endgame which focused a lot on Captain Marvel and then it coasted on the Endgame fumes for a while to ensure great late legs.

The Marvels meanwhile is releasing when people have been treated to substandard MCU movies, depends on people having watched the least viewed Disney+ show and remembering a character who barely featured in a different Disney+ show, and a third show which was the worst reviewed and received in the MCU of all time and isn't even named Captain Marvel 2. The franchise is facing a lot of suspicion on the part of the general audience after 5 movies of the last 7 having a B+ or lower Cinemascore. 

There's a feeling of no one knowing where anything is going in the MCU. Previously, the post credits stuff would be resolved within 2 movies at most or at least be continued within that time. Now we have had Captain Marvel, The Hulk and Wong show up in the post credits of Shang Chi without any follow-up in their next appearances (no one even knows when Shang Chi will show up next), Charlize Theron randomly show up at the end of Doctor Strange 2, Harry Styles show up at the end of Eternals, that random dead thing in the middle of the ocean in Eternals, not even getting into the Jonathan Majors of it all. The franchise is currently rudderless and directionless except for the fans saying "It's the multiverse?".

All of this has culminated in the rejection of this movie. Any movie released at this moment would have had the same result, it's not a Marvels specific thing, just that this is when the audience decided they had enough.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, TMP said:

I joined this site when I was 13, so it’s always so surreal for me to see people taking this stuff so seriously before I remember I was like that at one point too haha

I always end up amused when Eric and Cap pull out their famous "we are all adults here" to calm down a bout, mostly because it reminds me of at what age I began lurking these forums but also because it's not as if there's anything "kid-excluding" about a forum of "my cbm made more money than yours , lol xd" 

5 hours ago, TMP said:

I joined this site when I was 13, so it’s always so surreal for me to see people taking this stuff so seriously before I remember I was like that at one point too haha

I am so glad all the forums and accounts I made as a teenager have been nuked from existence. Y’all do not need to know my old cringe 😂 

• Like 4

People keep saying "video games are the next wave!"  Yeah I mean it's possible,  but Hollywood would have to be willing to go all in to make these work.  Here's some games that are potential hit movies.  

- Final Fantasy VII Live Action 

- Red Dead Redemption 

- Zelda 

- Elder Scrolls Skyrim 

- Metal Gear Solid 

- Fallout 

2 minutes ago, Johnny Tran said:

People keep saying "video games are the next wave!"  Yeah I mean it's possible,  but Hollywood would have to be willing to go all in to make these work.  Here's some games that are potential hit movies.  

- Final Fantasy VII Live Action 

- Red Dead Redemption 

- Zelda 

- Elder Scrolls Skyrim 

- Metal Gear Solid 

- Fallout 

Fallout is happening as a streaming show, as is (not listed here) God of War which I think could've been a hit film too.

1 hour ago, BK007 said:

Context:

The Marvels is a bomb of such unfathomable magnitude that it is impossible to explain why simply with "because it sucks". There has to be macro reasons that should be making people in Disney and Marvel shit their pants cause their entire brand is more permanently damaged than they want to admit. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, TMP said:

Mannnnn, I had some embarrassing moments on this site when I was younger and had all the time in the world.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

Mannnnn, I had some embarrassing moments on this site when I was younger and had all the time in the world.

Appreciate those moments. The older you get, the less chances you'll have at simple fun like this.

• Like 3