Borobudur

Thanksgiving 5-days Weekend thread | BOSS: 42.2m, Napoleon: 32.75m, Wish: 31.6m, Trolls: 25.6m, Thanksgiving: 10.9m

45 minutes ago, Noctis said:

Wasn't just Ant-Man 3. There had already been widespread fallout from the DCEU where the majority of their films have earned bad reputations. And with Marvel, since 2022 they have been on a downward spiral in audience and critical reception and then having massive bombs in 2023. Add to the fact the overwhelming over-saturation of Marvel TV shows, and it was inevitable that the genre would collapse since it was already so reliant on MCU

There were a good amount of Marvel TV shows during the Infinity Saga.

The mistake was trying to connect Disney+ shows with the movies. Disney+ should have created Marvel shows in the same way than Agents of Shield and Netflix shows (where the shows don't interfer with the movies).

It seems Disney/Marvel will try to remedy this with Marvel Spotlight.

It's funny because many fans wanted Agents of Shield or Netflix to be recognized by Marvel movies. However, the shows being disconnected from the movies was for the best.

Edited by Kon

22 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

2.6 ish I think. Yikes.

I guess people are just choosing to stay home instead of going to the movie theater with their kids. That sucks, honestly.

9 minutes ago, Blaze Heatnix said:

So, why Wish got a 200 million budget? Did half of that go to Chris Pine's pockets? 

No, but he would’ve deserved it.

8 hours ago, Cmasterclay said:

2019 had six Disney films hit over 400 domsetic. The fall of the mouse house is an asteroid to the global box office. 

I think they need a change in all leadership.

They have permanently lost theatrical audience.  I don't think that's in doubt anymore.  And like someone said in the "thousand cuts" discussion, they did it in a bunch of ways in a rapid spiral since 2020.  And, regardless of what way mattered most, they did it and are suffering enormously in this business arm.  And I can't see audiences returning in the 2019 and before way without a complete corporate personnel change from top to bottom.  Because without that overhaul, the direction doesn't change, so it keeps going down.

Will they have a random hit here or there if they don't change - sure (I mean, I have Inside Out 2 in my Top 2 for next year).  But not a hit like they used to, especially in INT numbers, where they have just been absolutely abandoned by audiences.

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, charlie Jatinder said:

Hunger 5.8

Dic 4.3

Wish 3.7

19 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

2.6 ish I think. Yikes.

Even Trolls having a nasty decline (-50% from Wednesday?!) has me hoping that there was just an abnormally high number of families that opted to stay in for the holiday itself and that perhaps the movies can still recover today. Regardless, Wish having a second day gross closer to Strange World ($2.5M) than Encanto ($5.8M) is still pretty disastrous, especially when WOM seems to be closer to the former than the latter. 

It is funny how seven years ago the first Trolls opened the same month as another original Disney film (Moana), which out-grossed Trolls domestically by nearly $100M. Now the third Trolls, following up a straight-to-VOD sequel no less, looks set to handedly outgross an original Disney animated film released within FIVE DAYS of it - and a Centennial themed release no less. Whodathunkit? 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, JonathanMB said:

, following up a straight-to-VOD sequel no less

you cant call a march 2020 release a straight-to-vod sequel

• Like 1

4 hours ago, CJohn said:

Universal must have insiders at Disney. They knew Wish was this massive dud. They had to know.

What gets me is that Disney didn't know they had a dud.  

Universal had Trolls advertised to kids all through the summer at $2 kid summer movies - they went for the market they wanted and have now gotten it - kids and families.

They wanted the holiday b/c they knew it would work for their movie...and they were right.  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, interiorgatordecorator said:

you cant call a march 2020 release a straight-to-vod sequel

Fair, I should have put an asterisk on that. Still, getting a sizable percentage of its audience back into theaters is pretty impressive - it's something Pixar has struggle to do :(

Edited by JonathanMB

29 minutes ago, Arlborn said:

I guess people are just choosing to stay home instead of going to the movie theater with their kids. That sucks, honestly.

No, but he would’ve deserved it.

It's too darn expensive.  I've said that over and over.  

I've written about the trampoline park deal.

Now, local ice skating is just $9 ($5 to go and $4 to get skates).  My daughter is now doing that every week.

When movies are $15-$20, and mom got new streaming (Peacock and Max have returned - spouse wanted Max, and Disney/Hulu were re-upped with Amazon and Netflix) on Black Friday, why not watch what's there.  It was $20 for Peacock's year, $18 for Max's 6 months and it could have been $36 for Hulu AND Disney's year (I paid more, but that's on me) - if you got all 3 new deals, you paid $74 for all that streaming, which is about the cost to take a family of 4 to a non-discounted holiday movie showing, WITHOUT the popcorn.

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Like 7

12 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

I think they need a change in all leadership.

They have permanently lost theatrical audience.  I don't think that's in doubt anymore.  And like someone said in the "thousand cuts" discussion, they did it in a bunch of ways in a rapid spiral since 2020.  And, regardless of what way mattered most, they did it and are suffering enormously in this business arm.  And I can't see audiences returning in the 2019 and before way without a complete corporate personnel change from top to bottom.  Because without that overhaul, the direction doesn't change, so it keeps going down.

Will they have a random hit here or there if they don't change - sure (I mean, I have Insides Out in my Top 2 for next year).  But not a hit like they used to, especially in INT numbers, where they have just been absolutely abandoned by audiences.

Disney is also in a weird place politically where both sides of the spectrum view them with suspicion. The right because culture wars and the Florida idiots, the left because of corporate cynicism and their hamfisted attempts at inclusion (the "first ever gay character" is a meme at this point).

Definitely not enough to sink movies on its own, but combine it with movies which play into that and don't look appealing and it's a recipe for disaster.

Like a lot of people on the right say Strange World bombed because the lead was gay, but there was never a universe where Strange World would have been anything but a bomb because it just looked unappealing and "template Disney" from the get go.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, grim22 said:

Disney is also in a weird place politically where both sides of the spectrum view them with suspicion. The right because culture wars and the Florida idiots, the left because of corporate cynicism and their hamfisted attempts at inclusion (the "first ever gay character" is a meme at this point).

Definitely not enough to sink movies on its own, but combine it with movies which play into that and don't look appealing and it's a recipe for disaster.

Like a lot of people on the right say Strange World bombed because the lead was gay, but there was never a universe where Strange World would have been anything but a bomb because it just looked unappealing and "template Disney" from the get go.

This isn't just limited to Disney tbh. The right hate all of Hollywood for being progressive, while maybe not all, but a decent portion of the left side-eyes the industry for not being progressive enough. The movies being a place that brings out everyone together just isn't possible in these politically fractured times we live in - you could rewrite the "men hate women, women hate women, etc." exchange from Barbie to include movies and modern politics and the point (everyone hates each other) would be pretty much the same.

Hunger Games really going to be the only $100M grosser of the month. What a terrible November.

Edited by filmlover
  • Like 1

Trolls having a terrible TG day too makes the Wish number seem less awful

Over last 2 years, 5 films* have seen a -25% or worse drop from Wed/TWed to TG Day, all but one had at least a 5.17x Weekend multi from Thursday. Of course that exception was Strange World (4.84x), but that film seemed to lack GA appeal and IMO was always DOA, and on the other end Clifford had a 6.9x TG Day (albeit in the semi-COVID year of 2021).

*One of these is Bones And All, for which I could not find a preview gross for its expansion, but unless it made more than 1/3 of its OD gross on Tuesday, would still qualify

3 minutes ago, The Panda said:

So Disney’s only real successes this year are likely TLM and GOTG3?

Feel Elemental is more of success than TLM due to lower budget and stronger Plus play.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, The Panda said:

So Disney’s only real successes this year are likely TLM and GOTG3?

Elemental more succesful than TLM. 

Their box offices was similar compared to their budgets. 567M for TLM (250M budget) v. 500M for Elemental (200M) budget. 

But elemental had a way smaller marketing campaign, way better WOM, from what i saw it sell way better in digital and physical media, and was a phenomenon on streaming that TLM wasn’t. 

Maybe TLM won in selling toys idk, hard to have data about this. 

But at least culturally, I feel Elemental was the one that sticks beyond GOTG3 for Disney this year.

• Like 2