Borobudur

Thanksgiving 5-days Weekend thread | BOSS: 42.2m, Napoleon: 32.75m, Wish: 31.6m, Trolls: 25.6m, Thanksgiving: 10.9m

32 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

When has disney actually created something new. Mostly its tried and tested territories. Either franchises for all their live action flicks or something based on theme park rides or their princess/fantasy stuff for animation. Pixar does  try something new but they have also floundered in the Disney+ era. Disney need new creative team and move from committee driven movies to Director driven ones. For now they are comfortable going in the opposite direction. 

Creativity doesnt necessarily mean something original or new. In the past Disney Animation managed to take old and tried storys and ideas and turn them into satiesfying experiences which didnt feel lazy at all. Movies like The Lion King, Aladdin, Lilo & Stitch or Beauty and the Beast werent "original" in their story formula at all, but it was the execution that made them feel special. The music and songs, the character writing and arcs, the settings and the animation were more than enough to carry the old-fashioned story formulas.

But in the last decade or so, Disney became lazy. Be it Marvel, Star Wars, their animated movies and especially their live-action remakes (which are the bane of my existence), they rehashed their own rehashing of these old story formulas without bothering to make anything about them feel special to compensate for it. For some time, audiences were going along with it. Now, they dont anymore.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MysteryMovieMogul said:

Except, online, these studios are marketing towards people who have kids. 

And parents WILL take their kids if their kids are bugging them to see a film. I bugged my parents to see films when I was a kid because I saw ads for them on Disney Channel, Cartoon Network, and Nickelodeon!

I think you missed my point though that today’s younger kids aren’t even thinking to beg their parents to go to the theater because they are so accustomed to streaming for movie consumption. Especially when the last 4 years has made it so nearly every animated film is on streaming extremely soon. 

• Like 1

Managed to catch Dream Scenario and May December over the weekend - great stuff. Cannot fucking wait for American Fiction though, I just really wish I never saw the trailer which gives away so much

2 hours ago, keysersoze123 said:

When has disney actually created something new. Mostly its tried and tested territories. Either franchises for all their live action flicks or something based on theme park rides or their princess/fantasy stuff for animation. Pixar does  try something new but they have also floundered in the Disney+ era. Disney need new creative team and move from committee driven movies to Director driven ones. For now they are comfortable going in the opposite direction. 

One year ago with "Strange World," and we all saw how that turned out.

3 hours ago, abracadabra1998 said:

Anyone had fun Black Friday plans? Actually went to the mall with the SO for the first time in a few years, and it actually felt nostalgic and fun. Also helped that it wasn’t as full as it would be like 10 or even 5 years ago, so it was a lot more pleasant. Ironically the digital age has made me crave these things more lol 

(no, we did not go to the mall of America, I’m crazy but not THAT crazy)

Well yesterday was my birthday. Wanted to try and catch Hunger Games, but like I said, was too tired to do so. But I did play Mario Kart with my siblings. That was nice.

• Heart 4

2 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Real question now is does Wish stop Marvels from being the biggest Hollywood bomb of all time? Their budgets are very similar no? So if Wish makes less, which certainly seems possible, I wonder if TM ends up spared that title after all? 

Wish is going to sell more merchandise than Marvels. No one is going to buy a Captain Marvel doll or anything related to the villian in the movie.

13 minutes ago, Mojoguy said:

Wish is going to sell more merchandise than Marvels. No one is going to buy a Captain Marvel doll or anything related to the villian in the movie.

Tom Hiddleston going to use his Loki money to buy every single toy of the villain.

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Mojoguy said:

And we still assume Disney cares as much about Box Office as we think they do. I mean, the amount of Tweets and comments on articles saying "I'm waiting until Disney+" makes me think about how many folks will watch both films when they hit streaming. Isn't the streaming service set to become profitable next year?

13 minutes ago, John Marston said:

but they’ll make Eternals 2 which did worse than Quantumania and when the Marvel brand is in even worse shape??

I'm one of those weirdoes that loved Eternals (I think it's their best post-endgame movie so far LMAO, so I'm really happy about this if it's true). I gave it a 9/10

But it's still confusing because the reason they stated contradicts itself. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Daxtreme said:

I'm one of those weirdoes that loved Eternals (I think it's their best post-endgame movie so far LMAO, so I'm really happy about this if it's true). I gave it a 9/10

But it's still confusing because the reason they stated contradicts itself. 

https://www.cbr.com/eternals-marvel-most-popular-disney-plus-movie-2022/

"An Unexpected Title Was Marvel's Most Popular Movie on Disney+ in 2022" is the title of the above article. Disney+ helps make more theatrical decisions than a Box Office sub wants to acknowledge... for obvious reasons.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, John Marston said:

but they’ll make Eternals 2 which did worse than Quantumania and when the Marvel brand is in even worse shape??

If Disney wants another bomb, let them release another loser. No one one going to watch it though.

7 minutes ago, Mojoguy said:

If Disney wants another bomb, let them release another loser. No one one going to watch it though.

Eternals 2 = Nut Job Never Again, a sequel doomed at the concept stage no matter what the concept is, b/c the audience already rejected the original material and characters.

I mean, MCU was still riding high at Eternals release...and it thudded.  So, there can't even be superhero fatigue to blame for that one.  

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, John Marston said:

if they make styles the main villian or something I guess I could understand why they might want to give it a shot, risky, but it makes some sense to try