Borobudur

Thanksgiving 5-days Weekend thread | BOSS: 42.2m, Napoleon: 32.75m, Wish: 31.6m, Trolls: 25.6m, Thanksgiving: 10.9m

4 minutes ago, Ozymandias said:

I think Napoleon is going to have very mixed WOM.  Unfortunate because with those previews I think it could've really blown up otherwise.

Yeah I'm worried that both the Critic and Audience scores could go rotten here soon. Audience score debuted at 69%. Critic score has dropped from 69% to 65% in like the most recent 20 reviews

6 minutes ago, Ozymandias said:

I think Napoleon is going to have very mixed WOM.  Unfortunate because with those previews I think it could've really blown up otherwise.

Idk, i think the humor works really well in its favour. The biggest complaint, one I have too, is that the whole thing moved way too fast. There’s a great movie that was chopped down into a pretty good one here

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, TMP said:

Idk, i think the humor works really well in its favour. The biggest complaint, one I have too, is that the whole thing moved way too fast. There’s a great movie that was chopped down into a pretty good one here

I wonder how many people are just going to skip the theaters and wait for the 4 hour cut release on Apple?

Just now, Mojoguy said:

I wonder how many people are just going to skip the theaters and wait for the 4 hour cut release on Apple?

I was going to but the set pieces really pop in IMAX. It’s the human element that feels short shifted, which is kind of a big deal for a movie that hinges almost entirely on a relationship but it still worked for me. Maybe not as well as I would have liked, but still.

Just comping Wish against past Disney Thanksgiving openers. Including EA and full previews as separate calculations:

Frozen ($1,200,000, 78.0): $179,381,575, $140,885,581 w/o EA
The Good Dinosaur ($1,300,000, 42.7): $98,113,908, $77,284,797
Moana ($2,600,000, 31.6): $72,609,473, $57,324,805
Coco ($2,300,000, 31.7): $72,908,930, $57,559,163
Ralph Breaks the Internet ($3,800,000, 22.3): $51,296,298, $40,644,929
Encanto ($1,500,000, 27.0): $62,203,152, $49,180,728
Strange World ($800,000, 23.6): $54,208,574, $42,924,101

I get a feeling Wish is going to be on the lower end here.

• Like 1

Napoleon numbers certainly proof that adult audiences can get hyped and turn out for a film - even if I feel the kind of dire WOM means it'll ultimately end at 85 instead of 120. Clearly the initial hype was there and something that can still be generated for movies like this, though.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

23 minutes ago, Pinacolada said:

Yeah I'm worried that both the Critic and Audience scores could go rotten here soon. Audience score debuted at 69%. Critic score has dropped from 69% to 65% in like the most recent 20 reviews

The biggest issue I had with Napoleon is, for a movie about a controversial figure against dark subject matter, the movie felt too funny and melodramatic. Whilst I agree that this approach to the story could please wider audience but sure to disappoint some segment of audience who is expecting a more prestigious serious interpretation of the history. 

The movie reminds me of Braveheart in a lot way. Wildly entertaining but failed as a historical storytelling.  At least Wallace is lesser known and therefore less nitpicking of historical accuracies when come to critical assessment. 

For what it's worth I feel pretty good to varying degrees about Migration, Wonka, Iron Claw, Color Purple, and Poor Things in addition to the great Nap/HG/Trolls/TG numbers. Aquaman, Marvels, and Wish........superhero movies and Disney animation is down astronomical.

Napoleon was the single 2023 movie that my dad was excited about (i think i'm seeing it with him next week). there always seems to only be one per year these days, last year it was top gun, i already know it's Gladiator 2 for next year.

• Like 10

Seeing this tonight in IMAX 

Watched Waterloo (1970) for the first time last night. First half of the movie is fairly glacial in pacing but the second half is a lot more invigorating with some stellar cinematography, sound, and staging for the battle itself.

Nothing quite like the days when you could borrow 15-20,000 soldiers to be extras in your battle scenes and have the Soviet government basically remodel an entire swath of land to fit your terrain needs

Edited by 4815162342
  • Like 2

49 minutes ago, TMP said:

Yeah I'm seeing it mid next week probably, but hopefully the 4 hour version fixes that.

11 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

Napoleon was the single 2023 movie that my dad was excited about (i think i'm seeing it with him next week). there always seems to only be one per year these days, last year it was top gun, i already know it's Gladiator 2 for next year.

This will be the second movie I see at the theater this year after Oppenheimer because I've become jaded cynical man with heart of coal

1 hour ago, DisposedData said:

Wish had so much potential. I cant believe they blew it like this. This is the most frustrating Disney performance of the year imo.

With Frozen marked the golden age of WDAS during 90th year of anniversary, Wish looks like has opened the dark ages of WDAS starting 100th anniversary. Surprised just how much things can change in just 10 years.

Wish was my one of the most anticipated movie. Initially I was planning for a big group trip to theater but that hype has pretty now gone down.