Issac Newton

Weekdays Thread | THU - TBOSS $1.7M, Napoleon $1.1M, Wish $567K, Trolls 3 $516K, Thanksgiving $347K, Saltburn $309K

5 hours ago, dudalb said:

Lionesgate show a lot of smarts in keeping the budget of TBOSS under 100 Million dollars.

They will make a good profit off this, but if they had spent the 150 they spent on previous HG movies, they would barely break even.

The huge drop since 2019 in theater attedneance means that studios need to cuts costs. The huge budgets ned to become an exception, not the rule.

According to the budget breakdown by Deadline, BOSS already covers most of its production budget by foreign sales and tax credit. 100M Budget, minus 65M foreign sales, 20M Germaby tax credits. So, this leaves only 15M left for domestic market to cover. 

I could be wrong but yeah, that's how I understand it.

18 minutes ago, grim22 said:

More executives on set is definitely the answer. Good job, Bob

More executive flown on set in first class seats, living in presidential suites and eating lavish company paid meals. That surely is the answer to add to your 200M budgets Iger.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, grim22 said:

That would also explain the lack of direction.

Most marvel work better because of the executives. They are not some auteur cinema.

This was marvels strategy during the first 10 years and this was the prime of the MCU. 

3 hours ago, eeetooki said:

More executive flown on set in first class seats, living in presidential suites and eating lavish company paid meals. That surely is the answer to add to your 200M budgets Iger.

I guess Iger's point that MCU movies need more control. I've understand people dislike the executives, but control in some movies isn't necessarily a bad thing.

Still, I don't see how more executives control could help The Marvels. I doubt they know how to increase the interest on The Marvels, which was the main problem from the start.

4 hours ago, nguyenkhoi282 said:

According to the budget breakdown by Deadline, BOSS already covers most of its production budget by foreign sales and tax credit. 100M Budget, minus 65M foreign sales, 20M Germaby tax credits. So, this leaves only 15M left for domestic market to cover. 

I could be wrong but yeah, that's how I understand it.

That’s not quite how the box office works though. The production company, Lionsgate, does not get 100% of the box office. When it comes to the overseas box office, Lionsgate could see anywhere from 35% to 45% of the box office depending in the country/market. Domestically, Lionsgate would see about 45% to 50% of the BO as the %’s are different from opening weekend to later in the movie’s run.  Usually for the sake of argument it’s just said that a movie gets about 50% of it’s WW total. 

On top of that the production budget does not include marketing, which for BOSS estimates are at another $75million to $100 million for the world wide marketing campaign, that puts the total cost for BOSS at roughly $175-$200 million. So before any of the tax credits, again roughly, the WW box office needs to be about $375 million for the movie to break even before dropping out of theaters. 

BOSS still has a little ways to go to hit profitability. I’m not going to try and predict if it will or not, last time I tried I failed miserably lmao. 

1 hour ago, Elden Lord said:

That’s not quite how the box office works though. The production company, Lionsgate, does not get 100% of the box office. When it comes to the overseas box office, Lionsgate could see anywhere from 35% to 45% of the box office depending in the country/market. Domestically, Lionsgate would see about 45% to 50% of the BO as the %’s are different from opening weekend to later in the movie’s run.  Usually for the sake of argument it’s just said that a movie gets about 50% of it’s WW total. 

On top of that the production budget does not include marketing, which for BOSS estimates are at another $75million to $100 million for the world wide marketing campaign, that puts the total cost for BOSS at roughly $175-$200 million. So before any of the tax credits, again roughly, the WW box office needs to be about $375 million for the movie to break even before dropping out of theaters. 

BOSS still has a little ways to go to hit profitability. I’m not going to try and predict if it will or not, last time I tried I failed miserably lmao. 

Lionsgate isn't getting anything from a lot of foreign markets because they sold it, They do the same thing with all their worldwide releases to cover expenses. 

Not necessarily, and at a $100M-plus production cost, 65% of which is funded by foreign sales, with another $20M+ in German tax credits, the Lionsgate Francis Lawrence-directed movie is structured completely differently financially than the $200M The Marvels. Lionsgate has largely covered their nut and exposure in foreign territory licensing, materially participating after their partners recover their costs. Songbirds & Snakes will be profitable, with a domestic end results between $120M-$130M. Still, there didn’t seem to be any kind of urgency here on behalf of fans to reignite new life into Hunger Games.

2 hours ago, Elden Lord said:

That’s not right at all, sorry. Not for a Lionsgate film where they sold most of the international territories and made money in advance. The original poster you quoted was actually more accurate.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, grim22 said:

Man who, as CEO, is responsible for Disneys creative downfall: I know the exact man who knows the answers to all our creative problems: Its me.

Edited by Brainbug

6 hours ago, grim22 said:

I mean that's exactly why the MCU succeeded. Executive control that tie every movie into a coherent 3 phase saga. One of the major criticisms lately is that  most movies/shows feel like there are not part of the same universe (e.g. the eternals) 

Edited by elothar
  • Like 2

which for BOSS estimates are at another $75million to $100 million for the world wide marketing campaign

I don't think that's true. When I saw the TV spending estimate on one of those weekend box office articles, it stood out as significantly below blockbuster levels ($8M instead of $15M-25M you'd expect). 

3 hours ago, Elden Lord said:

That’s not quite how the box office works though. The production company, Lionsgate, does not get 100% of the box office. When it comes to the overseas box office, Lionsgate could see anywhere from 35% to 45% of the box office depending in the country/market. Domestically, Lionsgate would see about 45% to 50% of the BO as the %’s are different from opening weekend to later in the movie’s run.

To illustrate this: I randomly poked around lionsgate corporate report search in recent weeks and created a rental rate estimate for recent films.

Re: international, for pure pedantry, Lionsgate UK is basically the only market they release in outside of US. 

From the table below you can see something like the Hitman's wife's bodyguard's post 2nd weekend averaging a ~35% rental rate while aggregate rates are a hair over 50%. 

FILM Domestic BO Lionsgate Theatrical rentals REAL rental rate %50 Rental
Fatale (2020) 2,388,133 1,800,000.00 0.75 1,194,066.50
Fatale (rest of run) 3,918,764.00   - 1,959,382.00
Fatale 6,306,897   - 3,153,448.50
Chaos Walking (q1 2021) 11,779,455     5,889,727.50
Chaos Walking (q2 2021) 1,508,453     754,226.50
Chaos Walking 13,287,908   - 6,643,954.00
Chaos Walking (q1 2021 + Fatale Q1 2021) 15,698,219 8,800,000.00 0.56 7,849,109.50
Voyagers 3,149,935 1,500,000.00 0.48 1,574,967.50
Spiral 23,216,862   - 11,608,431.00
The Hitman's Wife's Bodyguard (first 15 days) 27,769,227   - 13,884,613.50
The Hitman's Wife's Bodyguard (rest of run) 10,245,500      
The Hitman's Wife's Bodyguard 38,014,727   - 19,007,363.50
Spiral + Hitman's Wife's Bodyguard (first 2 weeks) + Chaos Walking Q2 2021 50,986,089.00 26,900,000.00 0.53  
------ ------ ------ ------ ------
The Protégé 7,446,823   - 3,723,411.50
The Protégé + The Hitman's Wife's Bodyguard (rest of run) 17,692,323.00 6,800,000.00 0.38 8,846,161.50
American Underdog (first 7 days) 10,870,624 5,100,000.00 0.47 5,435,312.00
American Underdog (rest of run) 15,644,190     7,822,095.00
American Underdog 26,514,814     13,257,407.00
Moonfall 19,060,660   - 9,530,330.00
Moonfall + second half of American Underdog 34,704,850 15,300,000.00 0.44 17,352,425.00
The Unbearable Weight of Massive Talent 20,300,157.00 10,300,000.00 0.51 10,150,078.50
Fall 7,240,521.00 4,200,000.00 0.58 3,620,260.50
Prey For the Devil 19,802,293 9,500,000.00 0.48 9,901,146.50
Edited by PlatnumRoyce
removed accidentally included MCU quote

I saw Saltburn yesterday knowing that it's about to leave soon (almost every theater around me is cutting it down 1-2 shows a day this weekend). I liked the movie, but I'm not surprised after seeing it why it failed to launch in theaters. It's a very dark satirical thriller that's bound to be polarizing. 

15 minutes ago, filmlover said:

I saw Saltburn yesterday knowing that it's about to leave soon (almost every theater around me is cutting it down 1-2 shows a day this weekend). I liked the movie, but I'm not surprised after seeing it why it failed to launch in theaters. It's a very dark satirical thriller that's bound to be polarizing. 

Actually the mid week holds are very solid after disaster thanksgiving long weekend. Should have a decent second weekend of expansion until it disappears in third. 

5 hours ago, Elden Lord said:

Been following Deadline yearly profit tournament for a while, I see that marketing & releasing costs are often cover by home entertainment revenue post theatrical. Most of the time, the end profit is very similar to: studio revenue (50% of total BO) minus production budget.

Just an observation, since if we also count marketing cost, most movies don't break even during theatrical run.