Issac Newton

Weekdays Thread | THU - TBOSS $1.7M, Napoleon $1.1M, Wish $567K, Trolls 3 $516K, Thanksgiving $347K, Saltburn $309K

4 minutes ago, MysteryMovieMogul said:

I never mentioned Avatar, and I only mentioned Barbie in that some might not like it simply because it's a movie about a brand. I know what Scorsese said.

Yeah? I mentioned Avatar. I'm just saying that what Scorsese is talking about is very specific and it's not hard to single out the films he's talking about. And yes, it is not just superhero films.

Edited by JustLurking

23 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Hollywood Reporter with more Christmas numbers besides Aquaman (reporting similar numbers though NRG is expecting $36-44M):

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-news/aquaman-lost-kingdom-tracking-box-office-migration-1235702120/

Migration: $13M 4-day (NRG expecting $11-15M, not great Bob)

The Color Purple: $7M on Christmas Day from NRG (WB expecting $9M, huh)

Changing the subject just a little, this four-day estimation for Migration seems worrisome for original Animated films going forward, and might show that Wish's failure isn't just a Disney failure, but a new normal for films aimed at kids and families.

3 hours ago, MysteryMovieMogul said:

Y'all realize that bombs like Indiana Jones help theaters more than hits like FNAF, because for theaters, budget has nothing to do with them.

You're right although FNAF being successful and thus a long running franchise is more valuable to theatres in the long run.

• Like 1

Disney's Wish grossed $591K on Wednesday (from 3,900 locations). domestic gross stands at $33.97M.

Universal / DreamWorks Animation's Trolls Band Together grossed $529K on Wednesday (from 3,893 locations). Total domestic gross stands at $66.72M.

Sony and Apple's Napoleon grossed an estimated $1.30M on Wednesday (from 3,500 locations). Estimated total domestic gross stands at $37.51M.

(All from Box Office Report.)

• Like 3

5 hours ago, TwoMisfits said:

After today, when HG: Boss passes Flash, there will only be 3 supers in the top 20 DOM (3, 4, and 7)...I don't think they are helping to pay the bills all that much in 2023, no matter how big their budgets were...

Those 3 supes movies added 953m to the domestic box office. 3 of the top ten domestic movies are still supers. They sure helped. 

1 hour ago, Jerri Blank-Diggler said:

Disney's Wish grossed $591K on Wednesday (from 3,900 locations). domestic gross stands at $33.97M.

Universal / DreamWorks Animation's Trolls Band Together grossed $529K on Wednesday (from 3,893 locations). Total domestic gross stands at $66.72M.

Sony and Apple's Napoleon grossed an estimated $1.30M on Wednesday (from 3,500 locations). Estimated total domestic gross stands at $37.51M.

Wow, Wish nearly caught by Trolls in the dailies already. Not a good sign of legs, but then again the Monday number already dispelled  any hope of legs.🤡

5 hours ago, MysteryMovieMogul said:

I mean, I know Scorsese and Foster are saying Superhero films, but if Video Game franchises took their place, they'd be complaining about those instead. This isn't actually about Superhero films. This is about films that don't challenge audiences making most of the money.

Since when are video game adaptations rinse and repeat?   'The Last of Us' is completely different than 'Super Mario Bros.' 

2 hours ago, Jerri Blank-Diggler said:

Wouldn't be surprised if Wish falls 65% this weekend. 60%+ is basically already locked, but I feel like this is just going to keep trending downwards. On the "bright" side, the multiplier off Wish's 3-day (1.72x) has officially passed that of The Marvels current running total (1.69x).

13 hours ago, Mojoguy said:

No single genre should be dominating so much. The superhero era is ending just as the western era ended.

In the end superhero movies have become a bit of a Dutch disease. More variety of movies ensure that if a genre goes out of fashion it's not such an existential crisis for the business.

13 hours ago, Maggie said:

If videogames or whatever are meant to replace CBMs, they better hurry up. This November is awful with The Marvels flopping. Theaters need successful content

A massive understatement. It's one of the worst box office bombs in history.

16 hours ago, Maggie said:

If videogames or whatever are meant to replace CBMs, they better hurry up. This November is awful with The Marvels flopping. Theaters need successful content

Well all the people that have been moaning abt CBM popularity should hop to it and boost their genre of choice then. This is the downfall everyone said would restore HW to it's former glory no?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, thedast said:

Well all the people that have been moaning abt CBM popularity should hop to it and boost their genre of choice then. This is the downfall everyone said would restore HW to it's former glory no?

I’m waiting for Hollywood to gorge itself on IPs, burst its belly, and make all cinemas go out of business. Then, after that, a few indies venues will pop up again, showing shoestring budget passion projects. If they look good, I might consider possibly maybe thinking about supporting the medium. 

Edited by Hatebox
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, thedast said:

This is what I keep saying. All you CBM haters got your wish. The bubble has burst. Now what?