Issac Newton

Weekdays Thread | THU - TBOSS $1.7M, Napoleon $1.1M, Wish $567K, Trolls 3 $516K, Thanksgiving $347K, Saltburn $309K

42 minutes ago, Cookson said:

Yeah it had a normal early access yesterday. Has showings today as well. 

But Toho may not necessarily report them. Many foreign-owned distributor don’t report their grosses. Like Indian film, only distributor Yash Raj has a regular BO report. I am not sure if Toho will follow standard practice in USA since they are extremely small here in UsA when come to film distribution. I am already surprised they can get Godzilla minus one in more than 1000 locations including imax. 

10 hours ago, grim22 said:

More executives on set is definitely the answer. Good job, Bob

This is the problem with most studios. They think making a movie by committee is the way to go. Disney is not fixing their problems. I am expecting even worse 2024 and beyond despite odd success or 2. 

33 minutes ago, Valencia said:

I guess nobody wants theaters to actually be able to pay their bills then.

Current Superhero movies are not paying the bills... Barbenheimer, Mario, Freddy Fazbear and Taylor Swift are doing that for them.

Edited by Boxx93

18 minutes ago, Boxx93 said:

Current Superhero movies are not paying the bills... Barbenheimer, Mario, Freddy Fazbear and Taylor Swift are doing that for them.

not really? both of these are flash-level grossers WW (and in the case of taylor swift...like half the tickets sold, which definitely makes a difference in terms of concessions sold for theaters)

and yes you can say that flash is a bomb and these films aren't but that has nothing to do with theaters

I also don't really get why so many people are after superhero films (which I also think are past their time) but then celebrate something like FNAF - the only difference is that they made the shit film for cheap

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, MysteryMovieMogul said:

Y'all realize that bombs like Indiana Jones help theaters more than hits like FNAF, because for theaters, budget has nothing to do with them.

After today, when HG: Boss passes Flash, there will only be 3 supers in the top 20 DOM (3, 4, and 7)...I don't think they are helping to pay the bills all that much in 2023, no matter how big their budgets were...

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

After today, when HG: Boss passes Flash, there will only be 3 supers in the top 20 DOM (3, 4, and 7)...I don't think they are helping to pay the bills all that much in 2023, no matter how big their budgets were...

I mean, I know Scorsese and Foster are saying Superhero films, but if Video Game franchises took their place, they'd be complaining about those instead. This isn't actually about Superhero films. This is about films that don't challenge audiences making most of the money.

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, MysteryMovieMogul said:

I mean, I know Scorsese and Foster are saying Superhero films, but if Video Game franchises took their place, they'd be complaining about those instead. This isn't actually about Superhero films. This is about films that don't challenge audiences making most of the money.

Now, now we don't know that Jodie Foster didn't find Five Nights at Freddy's to be life changing. Hopefully, in about 10 years when everyone is concerned that the WaLuigi spin off movie just bombed over Thanksgiving, she'll let us know!

I'm totally in agreement that we need less superhero films, but whatever fluff replaces it will get just as many side-eyes from the Elite. Using Foster as an example, her last film was Nyad, with Anette Benning. No offense to that film, but it was never going to be a box office draw, even if it hadn't been a Netflix exclusive.

When people like her or Scorsese are complaining about superhero films, they're lumping a whole bunch of genres together. They don't specifically mean only superhero films. They're talking about all films which are style over substance. That would include Super Mario and Five Night at Freddy. For some, it might even include Barbie, although at least that film was all Greta's doing.

4 minutes ago, MysteryMovieMogul said:

I'm totally in agreement that we need less superhero films, but whatever fluff replaces it will get just as many side-eyes from the Elite. Using Foster as an example, her last film was Nyad, with Anette Benning. No offense to that film, but it was never going to be a box office draw, even if it hadn't been a Netflix exclusive.

When people like her or Scorsese are complaining about superhero films, they're lumping a whole bunch of genres together. They don't specifically mean only superhero films. They're talking about all films which are style over substance. That would include Super Mario and Five Night at Freddy. For some, it might even include Barbie, although at least that film was all Greta's doing.

They aren't talking about style over substance (though Barbie had substance so I'm not sure what you're going on about here), they are talking about franchise and more specifically all the produced-by-committee blockbusters made in this day and age. He praised films like Barbie and Avatar.

Edited by JustLurking
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, JustLurking said:

They aren't talking about style over substance (though Barbie had substance so I'm not sure what you're going on about here), they are talking about franchise and more specifically all the produced-by-committee blockbusters made in this day and age. He praised films like Barbie and Avatar.

I never mentioned Avatar, and I only mentioned Barbie in that some might not like it simply because it's a movie about a brand. I know what Scorsese said.