Kon

NEW YEAR weekend

2 minutes ago, Boxofficerules said:

How come they never release movies over new years?

B/c you miss the 8-10 day previous corridor of "Saturdays every day", while normally contending with expansions of Oscar movies...while also dealing with the desire of everyone to "get in shape this year", so they spend the next few days at gyms and not movie theaters...

If you want to release New Years, you might as well wait for MLK day, when all the Christmas product is "old"...and folks are ready to watch something new...

• Like 3

1 hour ago, MightyDargon said:

No, it actually is a pretty big failure. People in this thread were just losing perspective because The Color Purple held worse. If it gets to say 275-300 mil that's still lower than Black Adam.

I can tell that you clearly have it in for Aqua. And yes its not going to make any money. We all know that… But that total number you think it will do are to low.. Maybe way to low. 
Im pretty sure that it will be around that number sometime next week..

Looks like 235+ mill by 1/1 plus Sat,sun,monday OS. Thats 265-275 mill WW on its way to a possible 2*Production budget with some luck.
Movies don`t stop making money after the holidays you know

• Like 9

49 minutes ago, Grand Cine said:

Saturday

1) : Wonka : 8,5M ( around 23M for the Weekend)

2) : Aquaman 2 : 7,45M ( around 19M for Weekend)

3) : Migration : 6,35M ( around 17,5M for the Weekend)

4) : TCP : 5,2M ( around 12,8M for the Weekend , finally a good day for the movie outside Christmas Day)

5) : Anyone But You : 3,7M ( around 9,5M for the Weekend , the best hold/jump of the weekend)

@keysersoze123 your prediction for the top 3 movies were good 

Unironically the most boring boxoffice in a long time. Nothing breaking out nor flopping super hard, eevrything doing average numbers. Fine runs are just fine, bad runs are bad but not abysmal. It's a very mediocre season showing that people won't show up in big numbers just because it's holidays. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MightyDargon said:

Aquaman DID objectively bomb, only got "saved" by the Christmas release, will still lose boatloads of money thanks to reshoots, and is only getting talked up here now because it's not The Marvels. 

It's a sequel to a billion dollar grosser that's struggling to outpace Migration. And it's eating up screens that could go to objectively better movies.

You're only upset about the discourse because it's outperforming 'The Marvels' so who is worse in this situation?  Nobody is really "talking it up..." 

Everyone knows it bombed.  But there are levels to bombs and it's not at the bottom. 

• Like 15

1 hour ago, MightyDargon said:

If you think Aquaman actually cost 205 mil with all the reshoots and reedits I have beachfront property in Kansas to sell you.

And this post proves my point even further.  You have nothing, no source or anything other than you WANTING it to have cost more.  

That's not how this works. If it's reported as costing more then we can go with the new number.  

• Like 8

7 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

Unironically the most boring boxoffice in a long time. Nothing breaking out nor flopping super hard, eevrything doing average numbers. Fine runs are just fine, bad runs are bad but not abysmal. It's a very mediocre season showing that people won't show up in big numbers just because it's holidays. 

I wouldn't say the situation with TCP box office is boring. That movie has been a roller coaster for our expectatives.

Edited by Kon
  • Like 1

Aquaman 2 is a failure and will lose a lot of money. But at least with the help of the holiday corridor it won't end up being on the same level as Flash or Marvels. This was always going to be the best case scenario for it. After the production drama and James Gunn's reboot announcement, and just by being the final leftover of a regime long gone, it was never going to be successful. At this point we should all be glad that this sick animal has finally been put to sleep, start looking to the future and see what Gunn brings to the table instead of arguing endlessly over how big of a failure Aquaman 2 is. Let's use that energy to lobby for a Wan cut of the movie in 20 or so years.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Kon said:

I wouldn't say the situation with TCP box office is boring. That movie has been a roller coaster for our expectatives.

It will end an average run so that's boring. After all the "from breakout to flop" 3-4 day excitement, it's now shaping up to be an average performer. Even Aquaman 2, although an undisputed flop, is gonna make more than The Marvels despite tracking that put it below that one. I guess as some said in previous pages, people like Momoa enough so that's the movie's saving grace. We saw that when audience rejects something holidays don't help (see Thanksgiving).

Edited by Valonqar

Unironically, the most exciting thing in film world rn is Saltburn blowing up on streaming. Everyone is talking about it, don't know why the studio wasted it in the platform release that couldn't reach the right audience. They geared it to Poor Things crowd whereas the movie proved a hit with TikTok one. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

The tradeoff is that everyone gets a fair piece of the pie instead of one megablockbuster sucking the air out of the room while everything else fails.

• Like 6

11 minutes ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

Aquaman 2 is a failure and will lose a lot of money. But at least with the help of the holiday corridor it won't end up being on the same level as Flash or Marvels. This was always going to be the best case scenario for it. After the production drama and James Gunn's reboot announcement, and just by being the final leftover of a regime long gone, it was never going to be successful. At this point we should all be glad that this sick animal has finally been put to sleep, start looking to the future and see what Gunn brings to the table instead of arguing endlessly over how big of a failure Aquaman 2 is. Let's use that energy to lobby for a Wan cut of the movie in 20 or so years.

This is the Wan cut he has talked about that many times. He just made a bad movie. 

6 minutes ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

The tradeoff is that everyone gets a fair piece of the pie instead of one megablockbuster sucking the air out of the room while everything else fails.

true and that's boring. I like a situation like when Jumanji overtook Star Wars cause that was a surprise. 

9 hours ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

Yeah, some of the stuff that I've read about the source material makes me wonder why Warner thought it'd make for a Christmas musical. Again, it really should've been pushed back to Black History Month of next year where it'd be a better fit. They also probably should've gone for a more modest budget, but I digress. I also wonder if a lot of black audiences are just sick and tired of black trauma movies and rejecting this as a result.

The 1985 Color Purple came out in December and made $94 million (adjusts to $268 million) and was 4th at the box office for the year. A big part of the first version's legacy is going 0-for-11 at the Oscars, often viewed as an all-time awards season injustice given the competition. The original Broadway run and the revival won Tonys. It's a "prestige" property and was always going to be an awards play. While it's not impossible for a movie to win Oscars if it's released in the 1st quarter of the year, it's not the easiest path and the awards campaign has to go on a lot longer, which isn't free.

It's already pointed out that Les Misérables was a Christmas release and the content isn't particularly upbeat. TCP was a hit Broadway musical, though not to the degree of Les Mis (maybe the most successful stage musical ever, or top 2-3). It's just that the budget is so high.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

The only thing I take issue with is that somehow Aquaman 2 be treated as "better" than Flash just because the real budget number hasn't leaked yet. It'll have a higher gross than Flash likely just because of the Christmas weekend but it's actually a bigger waste IMO because WB could have put out a movie that would have actually gone somewhere (i.e. gone over 200 mil US) in Aquaman 2's release slot. Put Aquaman 2 in the Marvels slot and it likely does what Marvels did considering how bad WB is at promoting things that aren't Barbie/Wonka.

• Knock It Off 1

15 minutes ago, Spidey Freak said:

I'm assuming TCP budget got inflated due to the pandemic and strikes? 

It filmed from March-July 2022 so Covid protocols were still likely a factor. The project was first reported about in November 2018 but it didn't even have a director until months into the pandemic, so it wasn't like a Dead Reckoning situation of sitting around and waiting for months.

• Like 1