Grand Cine

MLK Weekend Thread | 3-Day/4-Day Estimates: Mean Girls 28/32, Beekeeper 16.8/19.2, Wonka 8.4/10.9, Migration 6.2/8.3, Anyone 6.9/8.2

So like with Soul's release it arguably doesn't make a difference because people already saw the movie on Disney Plus. The point in releasing the movie in theaters was not to make a lot of money

At the same time $125,000 only is just frankly embarrasing for Friday.

9 minutes ago, grim22 said:

Why would people pay to watch a kids movie which is free on streaming?

Going to a kids movie is a lot of work, get the family ready to be there in time, find parking, get enough concessions for everyone, pay for 3-5 tickets. Versus just pressing play on Disney+

If Disney EVER supported the theater summer movie programs, this would be a $2 ticket for kids to see a summer movie with their mom or camp group.  But they don't...and they think they can command full price tickets for current tv product - and they can't.

I'm betting all "sold" tickets were "free" from AMC/Regal subscribers...neither of my Cinemarks even booked this b/c they knew no family was gonna pay and Cinemark subs don't really get "free" tickets b/c they are not unlimited...

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

If Disney EVER supported the theater summer movie programs, this would be a $2 ticket for kids to see a summer movie with their mom or camp group.  But they don't...and they think they can command full price tickets for current tv product - and they can't.

I'm betting all "sold" tickets were "free" from AMC/Regal subscribers...neither of my Cinemarks even booked this b/c they knew no family was gonna pay and Cinemark subs don't really get "free" tickets b/c they are not unlimited...

Soul is at the Cinemark closest to me... they even have a listing for Turning Red already.

• Like 1

Just now, cannastop said:

Soul is at the Cinemark closest to me... they even have a listing for Turning Red already.

Oh, the chain has it b/c they offered the 25% off forever tickets deal for these now...just MY 2 Cinemarks didn't book it.

I use mine as a gauge for how things go...with them not even booking, I knew the Soul number would be woeful...

It's kinda like if a foreign film gets 2 screens in presales at my locals, it's gonna be one of the big ones...

10 hours ago, keysersoze123 said:

I dont have anything concrete but if I have to take a guess Mean Girls should go higher and Beekeeper tad lower from early numbers. I am sure holdovers should do better as well. But its just instinct rather than anything concrete. 

Both came in under Deadlines early numbers and the holdovers are looking awful beside ABY.  Rough weekend.

21 minutes ago, Issac Newton said:

Considering The Color Purple lost more than 2000 theaters, the numbers for Friday shouldn't be surprising anymore.

Still, I wonder how much TCP will make at the DOM box office. 70M seems doubtful at its drops rates.

Edited by Kon

1 minute ago, Kon said:

Considering The Color Purple lost more than 2000 theaters, the numbers for Friday shouldn't be surprising anymore.

Still, I wonder how much TCP will make at the DOM box office. 70M seems doubtful at its drops rates.

Doubtful is more like it will definitely miss $70m even if it gets many oscar noms. However, PGAs snubbed it. $60M is my final prediction.

Meanwhile, ABY held well against the crummy weather and Mean Girls. Bodes well for $100m DOM.

• Like 1

- (-) All of Us Strangers Searchlight … $146,000 +224% -8% 120 $1,217 $1,205,678 22

Probably going to stall at $5M unless it gets a ton of Oscar nominations (unlikely at this point).

At the specialty box office, Cord Jefferson’s awards contender American Fiction is doing nice business as MGM and Amazon up its theater count to 625 locations. The critically acclaimed film is headed for a four-day holiday gross of $2 million.

‘Mean Girls’ Opens No. 1 at Box Office, ‘Beekeeper’ Follows at No. 2 – The Hollywood Reporter

Seems solid.

• Like 1

Yep people are really sleeping on the potential of Twisters. Sure Special effects disaster movie is the sell but you can bet Universal is going to go hard on selling Glen in this and if him and Daisy Edgar Jones have chemistry watch out. 

Edited by emoviefan
  • Like 1

Basically Film Twitter told Disney it's the right thing to do to finally release those Pixar movies in theaters but because Film Twitter is literally maybe 17 people and only 4 of them actually buy tickets. So these numbers are hardly surprising.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

19 minutes ago, Alexander said:

Basically Film Twitter told Disney it's the right thing to do to finally release those Pixar movies in theaters but because Film Twitter is literally maybe 17 people and only 4 of them actually buy tickets. So these numbers are hardly surprising.

I really doubt it was Film Twitter's influence. I think it was more Pete Docter or Pixar executives.

Edited by cannastop

Disney doesn't have any new movies scheduled through any of their studios until The First Omen in April, so filling in that gap with some re-releases didn't seem like a bad idea...unfortunately they didn't seem to try very hard and are face-planting as a result. The other two could do better with a strong push since they seem to have been bigger long-term hits on D+ than Soul, but who knows how they'll try after this.

The cost to promote them more probably wouldn't have been worth what extra interest they might've drummed up. It's by and large a PR move to please fans who demanded rereleases for them. Tbh I kinda wish they hadn't reported numbers at all since they didn't with those 100 releases.

Edited by AniNate
  • Like 1

Yeah, the Pixar re-releases probably wouldn't have happened if both Elio and Snow White hadn't punted from their original March release dates to 2025 (in an alternate universe Snow White would be opening the weekend Luca is). I'm surprised more studios didn't take advantage of the barren schedule to reissue old favorites like they did throughout much of COVID: the next two weeks have a couple of releases that will make pennies (I.S.S., Origin, Miller's Girl) followed by a February low on guaranteed heavy hitters before arriving in March, which has gone from packed to semi-empty to now packed again (Dune, Kung Fu Panda, Ghostbusters, Godzilla x Kong) following recent date changes.

• Like 2