Grand Cine

MLK Weekend Thread | 3-Day/4-Day Estimates: Mean Girls 28/32, Beekeeper 16.8/19.2, Wonka 8.4/10.9, Migration 6.2/8.3, Anyone 6.9/8.2

Wow, higher than expected for Beekeeper. Solid PostTrak stats as well. This will do better than I initially believed. What's the budget? Because that will determine whether it can be considered a success or a disappointment.

21 minutes ago, dallas said:

Wow, higher than expected for Beekeeper. Solid PostTrak stats as well. This will do better than I initially believed. What's the budget? Because that will determine whether it can be considered a success or a disappointment.

Edit: Correction - that was a different movie:).  Unknown but should be under $50M.

Edited by TwoMisfits

3 hours ago, Krissykins said:

Poor Things is awesome. Hope it keeps rolling. Looks like an easy #1 here on opening Friday. 

Surprisingly Searchlight didn't expand the location further this week after the GG win. In fact they drop another 170 locations when the hold is so good. 

1 hour ago, YM! said:

Solid OW for Mean Girls but suspect bad legs due to poor audience reception. Think the musical surprise hurt (I'm still reminded that my cousin my age lost all interest in Mean Girls when I told her it was a musical and my family didn't care for the stealth musical in Wonka makes me wonder if it'd leg stronger if they were honest)

Honestly, I don't think it would be a lot better if the studios were honest about the movies being a musical.

If the musical aspect alienate some people so much, they wouldn't give an opportunity to the movie from the beginning. So, less people would go to see the movie.

Edited by Kon
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

Surprisingly Searchlight didn't expand the location further this week after the GG win. In fact they drop another 170 locations when the hold is so good. 

They (and the other contenders) are waiting until 1/26 for the big expansion (Oscar nominations are the 23rd) when the only major release is dumped schlock (Miller's Girl).

Anyone But You is ahead of Beekeeper in total ticket sales in Canada today. Beekeeper ATP is higher however, which gives it a slight edge in $. Still, I’m thinking Deadline has underestimated its hold.

• Like 5
  • Astonished 6

I don't think it's possible for Mean Girls legs to be as bad as Color Purple legs, because Color Purple had the pay-it-forward factor and opened in the strongest box office period of the year.

Really enjoyed Beekeeper. One of Ayers better films, as well as Stathams.

It's very much in the Taken/Man On Fire/Equalizer mold. 

Fun breezy time. Straight forward revenge action flick. Not one of the best or anything, not reinventing the wheel. But a good time.

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, Speedorito said:

B Cinemascore for Mean Girls confirmed. Plus a 72% verified audience score. The original will remain iconic.

Ouch. The Batman v Superman of musicals has arrived. Do you all remember when that movie's huge drop was once in a lifetime? Now we get a bunch of those every year.