LegendaryBen

Weekend Thread - (January 26-28)

9 minutes ago, Juliet said:

Its a huge win. At the start of December people were thinking this would do Flash numbers

Oh it for sure overperformed people's expectations here. First the ceiling was $250M, then $300M, then $350M, then below Black Adam, so on and so forth. I'm sure WB is happy with its performance too. It's their 5th highest grossing movie Post-Covid and the highest grossing DCEU movie since Aquaman. Will probably end its run around $430-440M

• Like 1

Absolutely atrocious for The Holdovers. I was hoping it would reach 20M total.

Anatomy of a Fall is not back into theaters in wide release?

1 hour ago, 4815162342 said:

There's zero explicit material onscreen. No violence, etc.

I haven't seen the movie but I heard many describe the movie as unsettling and uncomfortable. I don't know Glazer direct the scene but that sound like some clever trick to incite horror without explicit materials. 

45 minutes ago, HummingLemon496 said:

$440M WW finish for Aquaman.

$125M DOM + $315M OS.

Aquaman managed to hold up like Avatar 2 last year during post-holiday is quite an impressive feat.  I never thought the movie can pass 400m comfortably given that all close comparison like NWH, RO, TROS  or first Aquaman all pointed 360-380m range. 

50 minutes ago, Juliet said:

You'd have to think that had it not been a narrative dead end the US total would have been more on a par with the international. But then, why was the Domestic audience so turned off by that when the international audience was not?

Considering this was sent to recoup as much cash as it reasonably could for as little outlay as possible its done staggeringly well. And with that in mind I would think there is a whole domestic audience waiting for VOD. This will break even for WB which is a big win considering their situation. 

Yeah I did not see it in a theater but will watch it on HBO Max when it comes in for sure.

27 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

I haven't seen the movie but I heard many describe the movie as unsettling and uncomfortable. I don't know Glazer direct the scene but that sound like some clever trick to incite horror without explicit materials. 

Aquaman managed to hold up like Avatar 2 last year during post-holiday is quite an impressive feat.  I never thought the movie can pass 400m comfortably given that all close comparison like NWH, RO, TROS  or first Aquaman all pointed 360-380m range. 

It was the only tentpole action type movie of the holidays so for people who really needed to scratch that itch it was the only option. This year won't have any thing like that based on the current schedule unless you count Sonic 3.  Come On James speed up Avatar 3 so it can be released this december. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, CJohn said:

Absolutely atrocious for The Holdovers. I was hoping it would reach 20M total.

Anatomy of a Fall is not back into theaters in wide release?

I mean, the Holdovers is already available on Peacock for a month. Once a movie hit streaming, there is no turning back unless you are EEAAO. It is actually performing on par with Banshees and the Fabelmans last year, meaning the 20m is still pretty much a given. 

Anatomy of Fall back to 400+ theaters this weekend. It is actually doing much better than triangle of sadness last year post-nomination. Now i think the movie will beat TOS after all.

Past Lives also come back but no numbers reported. I guess A24 will only report the actual later.  Hope this push past lives to over 11m. 

• Like 1

Oppenheimer is now about $1.7M away from reaching a 4.0x domestic multiplier. It will likely crawl to make it there but it is still a good 2-3 weeks away.

I wonder what sort of Valentine’s Day bounce Anyone But You will receive. Will it be enough to push the film over $90M domestic?

1 hour ago, Issac Newton said:

BEST PICTURE NOMS (TOP PTA*)

THE ZONE OF INTEREST ($3,421 per)

AMERICAN FICTION ($1,702 per)

POOR THINGS ($1,325 per)

OPPENHEIMER ($792 per)

ANATOMY OF A FALL ($557 per)

THE HOLDOVERS ($410 per)

KILLERS OF THE FLOWER MOON ($234 per)

*Per Theater Average

Beekeeper with better PTA than all Oscar nominees but Zone. Oscars 2025 here we come! :ohmygod:

• Haha 2

14 minutes ago, LonePirate said:

Oppenheimer is now about $1.7M away from reaching a 4.0x domestic multiplier. It will likely crawl to make it there but it is still a good 2-3 weeks away.

I wonder what sort of Valentine’s Day bounce Anyone But You will receive. Will it be enough to push the film over $90M domestic?

I'd love it to do a Titanic and have VD be the biggest day in its run

4 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

Beekeeper with better PTA than all Oscar nominees but Zone. Oscars 2025 here we come! :ohmygod:

Yeah like I said a few posts back the regular folk don't care about 95% of these movies and I am not going to be all high and mighty and say I do either. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, SchumacherFTW said:

I'd love it to do a Titanic and have VD be the biggest day in its run

Titanic craze on Feb 14 was also partially fueled by record-breaking Oscar nomination headline that took place 3 days earlier. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, John Marston said:

It's nice to see social media becoming more vocal about the need for rom after years of campainging against it. 

1 hour ago, dallas said:

Oh it for sure overperformed people's expectations here. First the ceiling was $250M, then $300M, then $350M, then below Black Adam, so on and so forth. I'm sure WB is happy with its performance too. It's their 5th highest grossing movie Post-Covid and the highest grossing DCEU movie since Aquaman. Will probably end its run around $430-440M

It really bounced back considering it opened under The Marvels and looked like it would end the worst bomb of 2023 and in history. But good release date (holidays legs matter) and likable star (post-holidays legs) and it's a W relative to rock bottom expectations. 

1 hour ago, Nanatri said:

the only thing that refuses to die are his cringe tweets. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, emoviefan said:

Yeah like I said a few posts back the regular folk don't care about 95% of these movies and I am not going to be all high and mighty and say I do either. 

Also: being interested in the Oscar movies isn’t “high and mighty”.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

Also: being interested in the Oscar movies isn’t “high and mighty”.

I was not taking a shot at people who are interested in those movies I was talking about just myself. Just meant i am not going to say GRR dumb regular unwashed masses why don't they like these Art House movies when I am not not either. for the most part. It would be hypocritical on my part. 

13 minutes ago, emoviefan said:

I will.