Porthos

Dune 2 Opening Weekend Thread [3/01/24 -3/03/24] [82.5m DOM OW]

51 minutes ago, stephanos13 said:

Third year in a row we have this situation.

Avatar The Way of Water, Oppenheimer and now Dune II.

We are probably going to see more of this happening in the future if the demand is bigger than what the theaters can offer.

I don't go to cinemas unless its a PLF TBH, standard just aint worth it. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Porthos said:

Couple of other semi-off the board recommendations:

(again, these aren't classicsper se, but they're fun/interesting watches)

Ladyhawke (1985)

MV5BZjhkMmFmMGMtZTIwMy00NGE0LThkZWQtOWNj

Want to know what Pop Culture in the early to mid 80s was really like?  Forget the glossy, meme-y stuff, it's hard to get more early/mid 80s than Ladyhawke, right down to the VERY MUCH OF ITS TIME (and reviled even then) synth score.

But, yes, I have more than a soft spot for it.  There's just something about it that makes me stop and watch it whenever I see it on TV while I was flipping through channels.

A Knight's Tale (2001)

MV5BMTE5OTE4OTE2Nl5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTYwMDkz

Another film that film snobs at the time absolutely HATED but I fucked loved to pieces.

Is it Art?  No.  Is it Cinema?  No.  Is it INCREDIBLY FUN? Oh, fuck yes. (also touching in a few unexpected spots)

The best way to describe that film is... "What if you crossed the WWE with Ye Old Fashioned England"?  Set to a Rock Sound Track.  If that doesn't sound like a Good Time?  Well, yeah.  better pass on it.  But, dammit, it's just so much fun!

Ladyhawke is great.

• Like 3

Dune 2 is basically repeating John Wick 4 from the posttrak scores, to the true Friday box office number.  

Dune 2 posttrak.

Last night’s Screen Engine/Comscore PostTrak exits were from another galaxy at 5 stars, 94% positive.

Dune 2 - A CinemaScore.

Dune 2 - 20.5m ish true Friday.

John Wick: Chapter 4 received its best grade ever from audiences, with a solid A CinemaScore and 5 Stars on Comscore/Screen Engine’s PostTrak.  More great exits on John Wick: Chapter 4 show 93% on PostTrak, an 82% definite recommend.

John Wick 4 pure Friday number 20.5m

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Scubasteve716 said:

I think some are underestimating that this is only the 2nd big movie in over 6 months. Legs should be better than normal 

it has a clear run till godzilla

10 minutes ago, JimmyB said:

Dune 2 is basically repeating John Wick 4 from the posttrak scores, to the true Friday box office number.  

Dune 2 posttrak.

Last night’s Screen Engine/Comscore PostTrak exits were from another galaxy at 5 stars, 94% positive.

Dune 2 - A CinemaScore.

Dune 2 - 20.5m ish true Friday.

John Wick: Chapter 4 received its best grade ever from audiences, with a solid A CinemaScore and 5 Stars on Comscore/Screen Engine’s PostTrak.  More great exits on John Wick: Chapter 4 show 93% on PostTrak, an 82% definite recommend.

John Wick 4 pure Friday number 20.5m

You can throw male percentage in also. JW4 has 69% male and look like Dune2 is somewhere there around 68%

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Porthos said:

Couple of other semi-off the board recommendations:

(again, these aren't classicsper se, but they're fun/interesting watches)

Ladyhawke (1985)

MV5BZjhkMmFmMGMtZTIwMy00NGE0LThkZWQtOWNj

Want to know what Pop Culture in the early to mid 80s was really like?  Forget the glossy, meme-y stuff, it's hard to get more early/mid 80s than Ladyhawke, right down to the VERY MUCH OF ITS TIME (and reviled even then) synth score.

But, yes, I have more than a soft spot for it.  There's just something about it that makes me stop and watch it whenever I see it on TV while I was flipping through channels.

A Knight's Tale (2001)

MV5BMTE5OTE4OTE2Nl5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTYwMDkz

Another film that film snobs at the time absolutely HATED but I fucked loved to pieces.

Is it Art?  No.  Is it Cinema?  No.  Is it INCREDIBLY FUN? Oh, fuck yes. (also touching in a few unexpected spots)

The best way to describe that film is... "What if you crossed the WWE with Ye Old Fashioned England"?  Set to a Rock Sound Track.  If that doesn't sound like a Good Time?  Well, yeah.  better pass on it.  But, dammit, it's just so much fun!

My memory about the reception of A Knights Tale was everyone raving about it. But then again, I was in school at the time and it was considered a "cool" movie

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Scubasteve716 said:

I think some are underestimating that this is only the 2nd big movie in over 6 months. Legs should be better than normal 

Better than average is a fine place to start, not with an outlier expectation. I’m thinking ~2.7x OW (~2.1x OWeek) for ~$205M

11 hours ago, M37 said:

If walk-ups today are anything like they were(n’t) last night, then I’d definitely be leaning towards the lower end of that Deadline range 

Fwiw, my working estimate has been:

($2)/$9/$20/$24.5/$19.5 = $75

Bump 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, wildphantom said:

PLF ratio is absurd from what I’m looking like in the UK.  Pre-sales rock solid in those screens all week and into the following week.  People want to see it the full premium way, and will wait if they have to. 

Yet again we have a movie that will prove multiplexes need to get more of these screens. It should be a priority for the business 

Yeah it’s just nuts. The Emagine near me has 4 PLF shows and 11 standard screenings scheduled for today. As of 8:30 a.m., 3 of the 4 PLFs are already 80-90% full. The fourth, the 9:45 p.m. show ( so you don’t get out until nearly 1 a.m.) has sold 42 tickets. Of the 11 standard shows, just one has sold more than that, by one ticket. The rest are mostly in the 0-20 range.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Boxofficerules said:

Imaginary is going to kill this next weekend.

Know your whole shtick is to stan for the most schlocky-looking horror movies but come on, even you don't believe this. :lol: