Porthos

Dune 2 Opening Weekend Thread [3/01/24 -3/03/24] [82.5m DOM OW]

For people don't know what dune is first part on plot side was too much an introduction. It's like when you have a GOT episode when the big things happens and people give to It 9.5/10, and they gave to the previous introductory episode 8/10.

But the episode is a 9.5/10 is that good cause the episode before even if inconsciously is important to let people being absorbed in the atmosfere, style etc...

Without that the next the next episode wouldn't be that good.

As someone said now the first part will be reevalutated cause you can see how was fondamental to set everything right for the second part.

And btw dune has 8.0 on imdb. This has a 9.0 right now. So It's not like the first part was hated and this loved.

In the first days of the first movie i remember very positive comments about It too. Infact he debuted at around 8.3-8.4 on IMDb. 

Edited by vale9001

1 minute ago, efialtes76 said:

KFP4 could be number 1 next weekend...

That seems headed for an opening in the $25-30M area, which Dune should have no problem surpassing even if it drops big next weekend. The weekend after that should also be another victory with the only openers being of the nonentity variety.

2 hours ago, Eric Atreides said:

Not sure why this is. I didn’t see much an evolution or difference between movies. I love both movies, so that’s fine, but it just seems odd to dislike Part 1 and then love Part 2.

The payoff will always hit harder than the setup even if both are equally important to the outcome

Also, the human element in this is just stronger (the use of Chani kind of grounds the story emotionally in a way that part 1 didn't). The characters are more compelling (Ferguson is amazing in this imo and of course Chalamet in the last act of the film). The ending even if still setting up for Messiah is actually an ending and hits strong in a way that Part 1 simply does not.

The craft is largely on the same level as it was in the first (which is by no means an insult as the first film has godly craft to begin with), but getting more action scenes will get people raving about it more than they did with part 1

Fwiw, I did not dislike Part 1 (in fact I consider it to be a very solid film) but I certainly did not leave the theater as buzzing about it as I did this one, not even remotely close

Edited by JustLurking
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, von Kenni said:

Dune 1 demos (Saturday AM PostTrak report):

Demo turnout were Men over 25 (44%), Females over 25 (26%), Men under 25 (17%), and Females under 25 (13%), with guys under 25 giving the pic its best grade of 87% on PostTrak. Older demo here at 21% over 45, but also the moviegoing demo of 18-34 at 55% showing up. Diversity demos were 55% Caucasian, 21% Hispanic and Latino, 9% African American and 9% Asian.

-‐---

I'm surprised that male-female skew was just 61-39. So Dune 2 isn't far off. The diversity demos for Dune 2 were more diverse, Caucasians dropping to 48% and especially African American going up. I don't see why Zendaya, more indepth human relationships, and other prominent women roles in Part 2 and in the promos couldn't increase at least slightly demos for female audiences. That 59% would already be great.

Well, the audience for Dune 2 isn't really more diverse according to BoxOfficePro. 

From @BoxOfficePro:

Demographically, Dune: Part Two skewed heavily on the men side with 59% Male and 41% Female, with 64% of the audience over age 25. Here’s the breakdown:

65% Caucasian

14% Hispanic

9% African‐American

8% Asian

4% Native‐American

I don't know why demos from BoxOfficePro and Postrack are so different, but it makes complicated to know if there was a real change from the audience.

Edited by Kon

1 hour ago, TJ327 said:

Not to be a party pooper on this one - I adored both films and Lanthimos is one of my favorite directors - but won’t Poot Things do roughly equal to The Favourite once adjusting for inflation? 

Maybe but consider how much the filmgoing landscape has changed since 2018, especially for that type of fall awards hopeful. Here's the box office of last year's arthouse/prestige Best Picture nominees (excluding EEAAO as it was a spring release launched without big Oscar aspirations):

Women Talking: $9.18m WW ($5.46m DOM)

Tár: $29.14m WW ($6.77m DOM)

Triangle of Sadness: $32.89m WW ($4.6m DOM)

The Fabelmans: $43.28m WW ($17.35m DOM)

The Banshees of Inisherin: $52.34m WW ($10.58m DOM)

For a film with the content/subject matter of Poor Things to make twice as much as last year's most successful fall prestige-y awards hopeful, as a 2023 movie, is IMO extremely impressive even if it doesn't end up matching The Favourite's admissions.

Edited by BoxOfficeFangrl
  • Like 4

5 minutes ago, BoxOfficeFangrl said:

Maybe but consider how much the filmgoing landscape has changed since 2018, especially for that type of fall awards hopeful. Here's the box office of last year's arthouse/prestige Best Picture nominees (excluding EEAAO as it was a spring release launched without big Oscar aspirations):

Women Talking: $9.18m WW ($5.46m DOM)

Tár: $29.14m WW ($6.77m DOM)

Triangle of Sadness: $32.89m WW ($4.6m DOM)

The Fabelmans: $43.28m WW ($17.35m DOM)

The Banshees of Inisherin: $52.34m WW ($10.58m DOM)

For a film with the content/subject matter of Poor Things to make twice as much as last year's most successful fall prestige-y awards hopeful, as a 2023 movie, is IMO extremely impressive even if it doesn't end up matching The Favourite's admissions.

Yeah Oscar movies have done way better this year. Holdovers, American Fiction, Poor Things (especially impressive considering borderline NC-17 subject matter) are grossing more domestically than Fabelmans directed by Steven Spielberg. And that is despite none of these movies really being thought of as the frontrunner, whereas Fablemans was thought by some as the frontrunner in the Fall.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Kon said:

Well, the audience for Dune 2 isn't really more diverse according to BoxOfficePro. 

From @BoxOfficePro:

Demographically, Dune: Part Two skewed heavily on the men side with 59% Male and 41% Female, with 64% of the audience over age 25. Here’s the breakdown:

65% Caucasian

14% Hispanic

9% African‐American

8% Asian

4% Native‐American

I don't know why demos from BoxOfficePro and Postrack are so different, but it makes complicated to know if there was a real change from the audience.

As I mentioned in my earlier post, these are skewed a lot from Deadline's PostTrak reporting from Friday:

Diversity demos were 48% Caucasian, 22% Hispanic and Latino, 13% Black, 10% Asian and 7% other.

The above numbers are more in line with Dune 1 and the BoxOfficePro numbers seem bonkers. I don't know if those numbers could be already from previews or something but maybe we'll have better clarity on this early in the week.

5 minutes ago, Bob Train said:

Yeah Oscar movies have done way better this year. Holdovers, American Fiction, Poor Things (especially impressive considering borderline NC-17 subject matter) are grossing more domestically than Fabelmans directed by Steven Spielberg. And that is despite none of these movies really being thought of as the frontrunner, whereas Fablemans was thought by some as the frontrunner in the Fall.

Let's be real, Spielberg's name does not really carry commercial power anymore. Hasn't for a while now.

• Sad 1

47 minutes ago, JustLurking said:

Let's be real, Spielberg's name does not really carry commercial power anymore. Hasn't for a while now.

Eh, really depends on the film he makes. If he makes another big blockbuster action flick, it's gonna probably make $500 mil minimum.

West Side Story was one of the hardest COVID casualties. In normal times, it would have done around La La Land numbers with a healthy awards/adult moviegoing market. If it came out in Christmas 2023, it would have still done a solid 70-90M, the typical modern Spielberg drama numbers, and people would have seen it as a solid hit. But it came out at the worst possible time, and hurt the talented cast big time (though hopefully Songbirds and Snakes can give Rachel Zegler some needed momentum). Just a pity.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Eric Atreides said:

West Side Story was one of the hardest COVID casualties. In normal times, it would have done around La La Land numbers with a healthy awards/adult moviegoing market. If it came out in Christmas 2023, it would have still done a solid 70-90M, the typical modern Spielberg drama numbers, and people would have seen it as a solid hit. But it came out at the worst possible time, and hurt the talented cast big time (though hopefully Songbirds and Snakes can give Rachel Zegler some needed momentum). Just a pity.

nah it would have bombed no matter what. Younger people don’t care and older people probably thought it was sacrilegious to remake a classic (like the Ben Hur remake)