Grand Cine

3/08-3/10 Weekend Estimates : KFP 4 : 58,3M , Dune 2 : 46,3M , Imaginary : 10M , Caprini : 7,6M

13 minutes ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

That's a fantastic result for Panda, and the opening weekend will be double what most, including I, expected. And no one had it on their radar, nor were they hyped for it. Those of you underestimating Ghostbusters 4 and Godzilla x Kong should keep this in mind going forward. You never know!

Yeah my feelings exactly on Ghostbusters FE and G &K NE  Less than a week ago most were  not even sure  KF 4 would even hit 40 for the weekend now 60 is possible. Maybe the walkups and late ticket crowds are returning. 

33 minutes ago, nguyenkhoi282 said:

Jokes aside, I'm expecting 21-24M Saturday for Dune, 70-95% jump. 

Weekend: 49-54M

Lol

Getting to 300m off an 82m OW in March without any summer or holiday weekdays never seemed that feasible for me for Dune - it would require not just great legs, but some of the best legs for a live action sequel EVER. It definitely has great legs though.

Predicted 55/180 for KFP4 in my 2024 predictions due to nostalgia and empty market and trailer views. I wavered a bit in recent weeks but I'm counting it as a W.

• Like 5

Just now, leoh said:

Lol

Honestly what is with you and Dune Part 2?  The movie is doing really well and all you can focus on and beat the dead horse of there were  people who said it would do much better because you have some  sort of axe to grind with those people. Move on. 

• Like 7

56 minutes ago, vafrow said:

So, with Dune coming in low and Panda coming in high, are we looking at two movies that could fall into the rare $225M-$325M chasm.

Hold that thought 🙃

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, emoviefan said:

Honestly what is with you and Dune Part 2?  The movie is doing really well and all you can focus on and beat the dead horse of there were  people who said it would do much better because you have some  sort of axe to grind with those people. Move on. 

No matter how was the expectation, dune part 2 is already a complete success. Critically acclaimed, A cinemascore/95% audience score , far higher than the first Dune and it is gonna be Oscar darling too. Haters’ failure is complete. Dune 2 is an Oscar blockbuster. Something that some all time highest grossing film can’t accomplish.

• Like 6
  • Knock It Off 1

1 minute ago, emoviefan said:

24M Saturday (a 100% increase from Friday)… haven’t you laughed as well? Lol

These box office numbers for KFP4, are finally going up for the franchise. 😎🤩🙆🏻‍♀️💁🏻‍♀️

Considering the previous two films didn’t increase with each entry.

Especially with KFP2 back in 2011. That film had lots of things going for it. Being the first animated film in the summer season, goodwill from the first film and being the one animated sequel that fans and families was excited for the most. And while that film was well-received by critics and became the highest grossing animated film that year in worldwide numbers ($665M), it somehow never got the numbers of the first film or even above it like a mini-“Shrek 2” kind of bump DOM-wise, just $165M. $50M less than the first film’s $215M.

And that film is arguably the one KFP-sequel that fans love the most. So what went wrong with that second film in the U.S at the time, box office-wise? 😢

• Knock It Off 1

2 minutes ago, leoh said:

24M Saturday (a 100% increase from Friday)… haven’t you laughed as well? Lol

Honestly don't care. Not going to make fun of overly optimistic people. But you do you and continue to alienate and irritate people around here. 

• Like 18

3 minutes ago, MrFanaticGuy34 said:

These box office numbers for KFP4, are finally going up for the franchise. 😎🤩🙆🏻‍♀️💁🏻‍♀️

Considering the previous two films didn’t increase with each entry.

Especially with KFP2 back in 2011. That film had lots of things going for it. Being the first animated film in the summer season, goodwill from the first film and being the one animated sequel that fans and families was excited for the most. And while that film was well-received by critics and became the highest grossing animated film that year in worldwide numbers ($665M), it somehow never got the numbers of the first film or even above it like a mini-“Shrek 2” kind of bump DOM-wise, just $165M. $50M less than the first film’s $215M.

And that film is arguably the one KFP-sequel that fans love the most. So what went wrong with that second film in the U.S at the time, box office-wise? 😢

Well, admissions here are still gonna be less than KFP2's opening, but given the current market handicaps it's definitely benefiting from renewed nostalgia.

26 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

No matter how was the expectation, dune part 2 is already a complete success. Critically acclaimed, A cinemascore/95% audience score , far higher than the first Dune and it is gonna be Oscar darling too. Haters’ failure is complete. Dune 2 is an Oscar blockbuster. Something that some all time highest grossing film can’t accomplish.

that is very much true.

It deserves every praise, and Oscar nominations should be higher than in 2022, specially because it seems there are not many high profile movies coming out this year, right now only Civil War seems to be the one that can face Dune in the Oscars (unless we have a big surprise till the end of the year).

I watched Dune Part Two in an IMAX dual Laser location. During the movie I kinda had a malaise. It’s a really strong movie. It’s in my top three best post pandemic movies along with Oppenheimer and my favorite one Killers of the Flower Moon.

Edited by leoh

Still great numbers for Dune, but I'm a bit disappointed because those terrific weekday holds pointed to a $50M+ weekend, and it probably won't reach that mark now. $250M finish is still likely but the $300M dream might be dead

:whosad:

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Daxtreme said:

leoh and others since Dune 2 released, summarized

52FGOD2.jpeg

lol

Some people get me wrong cuz I’m always trying to be realistic. But I really love Dune, the first and the second one even more.

Denis is highly influenced by French cinema and in one of his interviews he basically said he holds a Deleuzian view of cinema. Dune is arguably the greatest representation of Deleuzian cinema ever produced. People should just understand this kind of cinema is not for everyone’s taste. The fact that Dune is hitting 200M domestically should be seen as a great win. But when some people start talking about 1 billion/ 300M+ this just sets others for disappointment.

• Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, Minnale101 said:

Variety said 48% of kfp4 audience is 18-24 

2000s kids and Tik tok crowd carrying the movie 

Dang gentleminions strikes again...

So, it was a $35M OW family movie...and then college kids showed up...

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Starphanluke said:

Do we have any idea what international is looking like for Dune this weekend?

Internationally between 80M and 90M, Chinese release this weekend is projected to make ~20M

Edited by leoh
  • Like 1

Ugh, that’s way way better of an opening for KFP4 than it ever deserved. This is absolutely sending the wrong message to Hollywood that animation is only viable in sequel form now. The last stronghold for originality in the industry is caving, and once the floor falls out on all these sequels because eventually they will run out of ones people care about, then what?