kayumanggi

Weekend Numbers | actuals | 80.01M G×K: THE NEW EMPIRE | 11.35M DUNE II

GxK should sell a lot of merchandise because of the film. The new power glove Kong and Godzilla Funko Pop figures won't be back in stock for another 3 weeks on Amazon.

32 minutes ago, Mojoguy said:

GxK should sell a lot of merchandise because of the film. The new power glove Kong and Godzilla Funko Pop figures won't be back in stock for another 3 weeks on Amazon.

That's why they gave Godzilla a new look in the movie.

These Monsters sell like cupcakes for WB. 

Won't be surprised if Godzilla get new colors in next one and Kong gets some more gadgets.

1 hour ago, BoxOfficeZ said:

Won't it have trouble getting to 80m+ because of Easter Sunday? I think Mario had an almost 40% drop on Easter Sunday last year. 

Going with Charlie's 27.5 mil number, will be on the higher end but still possible depending on how much Saturday drops (if it does at all) from true Friday.

4 hours ago, Squire said:

I have to think Legendary is feeling vindicated about throwing a fit about WB’s day-and-date streaming strategy in 2021 after how Dune and Kong have performed in March. 

Legendary winning at the box office, Nolan winning at the box office, Oscars and knighthood... Everyone who threw a fit and accused WB of not knowing how to make money has just been winning.

• Like 7

3 hours ago, BoxOfficeZ said:

Won't it have trouble getting to 80m+ because of Easter Sunday? I think Mario had an almost 40% drop on Easter Sunday last year. 

Not necessarily. F8's easter Sunday of 2017 drop was 32% and RPO was just 29% in 2018. I don't know why certain easter Sunday drop are worse than others but there certainly are better holds out there.

• Like 1

GodzillaXKong: The New Empire with it’s OD ($38M) above it’s predecessor’s OW ($31M). Very impressive considering the first one came out in a time when the pandemic was still a thing.

So with a huge OW incoming and a pretty dead April for new movies, how fast might this film get to $200M+ DOM?

Edited by MrFanaticGuy34

1 hour ago, kayumanggi said:

I really hope this good box office in March continues thoughout the year. April is the first test. I want a breakout. Hoping it's MONKEY MAN.

I'd love if it happened, but April looks like a wasteland. Civil War probably has the chance to break out on opening, but it will be interesting to see how it holds up after, depending on how the discourse around it goes.

• Like 1

I hope Challengers overperforms for Zendaya's sake. Euphoria was marketed on HER popularity after all, something that's easy to forget with all the Elordi/Sweeney hype going around lately.

I mean, even if Challengers flops she'll be fine as Spider-Man 4 is around the corner but it would be great if she displayed some BO pull outside of the big franchise fare.

Edited by Spidey Freak
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Spidey Freak said:

I hope Challengers overperforms for Zendaya's sake. Euphoria was marketed on HER popularity after all, something that's easy to forget with all the Elordi/Sweeney hype going around lately.

I mean, even if Challengers flops she'll be fine as Spider-Man 4 is around the corner but it would be great if she displayed some BO pull outside of the big franchise fare.

Yeah, Zendaya's career is totally dead after Dune 2...

• Like 1

Monkey Man looks like the best superhero film of the year. I do think it will make the most money out of all April releases. I honestly don't think Civil War is gonna do very well compared to its budget, but we'll see. Hearing Challengers is great and I think it will do well for what type of film it is, but even that is probably something like $30-40 million.

This is surprising to me.  So many people I talked to felt that 'Godzilla x Kong' looked like it "jumped the shark" so I am pleased that it was only anecdotal evidence of the franchise slowing down.  Looks like the franchise is bigger than ever...  

Just now, Johnny Tran said:

This is surprising to me.  So many people I talked to felt that 'Godzilla x Kong' looked like it "jumped the shark" so I am pleased that it was only anecdotal evidence of the franchise slowing down.  Looks like the franchise is bigger than ever...  

What Internet calls jumping the shark is what general audience call craziness.

Also truth to be told there was not much jumping the shark here, People said all that because Godzlla and Kong were moving faster and jumping.

That's all. 

7 minutes ago, Johnny Tran said:

I would actually argue that with GxK and Minus One, were witnessing the most popular Godzilla has been - probably ever.

• Like 3

It would be cool if Monkey Man did well but it feels like it's ceiling is about $40M or so? Buzz does feel a bit on the quiet side despite the SXSW hype. 

Challengers only needs to clear $18M to become the biggest movie of Luca Guadagnino's career so even a $30M+ total could probably be attributed to Zendaya's power.

25 minutes ago, Johnny Tran said:

Oh, it DEFINITELY jumped the shark. It then grabbed the shark by the tail and swung it around like a club, hitting any number of if titans in its path. And it seems that's what audiences wanted.

• Like 1