MightyDargon

Weekend 4/19-21: ABIGAIL 1 mil previews

1 hour ago, emoviefan said:

Considering the reviews are not too bad and the WOM is pretty good it seems. If Lionsgate had put a decent  effort into marketing it it might have a been a solid hit ala the Beekeeper or something.

I don't know, maybe it just wasn't appealing to audiences, from what I saw they put some effort into marketing it. And I wonder if Ritchson's recent controversial posts on social media affected numbers a bit.

1 hour ago, Firepower said:

Henry can't catch a break.

He's had more chances than many and the general public keeps saying "I'm good, thanks."

Nobody made him quit The Witcher - the one role that actually clicked with audiences - like he did.

He'll never not get work. But he's not a victim here either.

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, filmnerdjamie said:

He's had more chances than many and the general public keeps saying "I'm good, thanks."

Nobody made him quit The Witcher - the one role that actually clicked with audiences - like he did.

Yeah it’s hard to feel bad for him, especially after leaving a big role to chase another one.

There are a LOT of more talented actors out there who don’t reach his level. He’s just a competent enough actor who managed to break through, even if he never reached full stardom. He’ll be fine.

as long as he can avoid falling off any horses he still pretty easily clears the best career for a Superman actor bar. attractive bland actors like him usually only get a couple years of real relevance he's doing pretty well by that standard.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2025 should be better than 2024 but not a great year or anything. I’m thinking all the superhero films flop/underperform and Avatar 3 if it comes out will make most of its gross in 2026

Edited by John Marston

Lucy and Uncharted feel like the only movies that have ever actually benefitted from having a superhero lead actor, and I think a lot of that had to do with positioning; they clearly slingshotted off the momentum of the MCU being a culturally dominant force. Considering superhero movies are passé, the DCEU is dead and the fact that most people haven’t even seen Cavill’s Superman, I really don’t know what kind of pull anyone was expecting him to have here. I think this speaks more to Ritchie’s core fanbase being more inclined to stay at home to see The Gentlemen on Netflix than anything else

edit: actually, add free guy to the list of superhero actor hits too; albeit another one which also benefitted to the “slingshot”

Edited by TMP
  • Like 2

Cavill will be fine for the next couple of years at least. The general audience likes him. He has made some terrible choices though. But nowadays there is not one actor, Cruise aside, that can sell a movie on name alone. Audiences are smart, even though studio seem to always forget that.

With Argylle his only fault was that he agreed to be in a terrible movie for 10 minutes that media sold as HIS movie. WOM was toxic and he could have easily avoided that.

I mean Warfare is only his second post-Witcher movie and is getting good wom out of the gate. Not his fault that Lionsgate just decided to dump it. 

IMO in the right role the audiences will be more than willing to watch his movies. Hopefully Highlander, which on paper sounds promising, will be it. And then there is a rumor that soon we will see him in a Marvel movie ? 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

as long as he can avoid falling off any horses he still pretty easily clears the best career for a Superman actor bar. attractive bland actors like him usually only get a couple years of real relevance he's doing pretty well by that standard.

That's the funny thing.

He technically beat the Superman curse because the public didn't click to him in the role or especially those films in the first place.

And he quickly turned the tide with Mission: Impossible - Fall Out and The Witcher... until he quit the latter... for Superman... again... to the exact same indifference/"Nah I'm good, bro" reactions from the public.

I'm open-minded on this. But Highlander has never been that... commerical?

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, TMP said:

Lucy and Uncharted feel like the only movies that have ever actually benefitted from having a superhero lead actor, and I think a lot of that had to do with positioning; they clearly slingshotted off the momentum of the MCU being a culturally dominant force. Considering superhero movies are passé, the DCEU is dead and the fact that most people haven’t even seen Cavill’s Superman, I really don’t know what kind of pull anyone was expecting him to have here. I think this speaks more to Ritchie’s core fanbase being more inclined to stay at home to see The Gentlemen on Netflix than anything else

edit: actually, add free guy to the list of superhero actor hits too; albeit another one which also benefitted to the “slingshot”

It’s like what Quentin Tarantino said: people don’t show up for the actors, they show up for the characters. Maybe no one could’ve played MCU Thor like Chris Hemsworth or DCEU Superman like Henry Cavill, but the main draw is those characters, not them. The characters overshadow the actors.

It also doesn’t help that stuff like Men in Black and Argylle are just way too weak for most actors to give those films a significant boost at the box office.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, filmnerdjamie said:

He believed in his own hype thanks to the Twitter trolls. The Witcher was actually the perfect role that managed to utilize his limited range to the fullest. 

• Thanks 1
  • ...wtf 1

That Shrek 5 is so inevitable. Thank God for DreamWorks. They really needed Kung Fu Panda 4. What a huge hit. Will eventually cross 500M on a 85M budget. That's like almost 6x its budget. 85 × 6 = 510M.

The trucks of money Shrek 5 will do is no joke.

Just now, justnumbers said:

That Shrek 5 is so inevitable. Thank God for DreamWorks. They really needed Kung Fu Panda 4. What a huge hit. Will eventually cross 500M on a 85M budget. That's like almost 6x its budget. 85 × 6 = 510M.

The trucks of money Shrek 5 will do is no joke.

I really wish Nintendo gave Universal and Dreamwork The Legend of Zelda.

7 minutes ago, ringedmortality said:

I really wish Nintendo gave Universal and Dreamwork The Legend of Zelda.

Yeah. But it seems they wanted to go live-action? Even then, Universal is still much better. What gives me hope is that the folks over at Nintendo will be involved.

Because Sony is probably the worst studio out there. They know how to control their budgets but they just make the most basic shit with their IPs. If it was AI generated, you would believe it. Always same formula:

Big lead actors + cheap budget + AI generated screenplay = the most generic project that at best CAN be passable because of the lead charisma but I'm not falling for that. And sometimes it just doesn't work. 

Edited by justnumbers

1 hour ago, TMP said:

Lucy and Uncharted feel like the only movies that have ever actually benefitted from having a superhero lead actor

Sherlock Holmes too. If we're counting streaming then Extraction as well.

I, Tonya on a smaller scale? Margot Robbie is an interesting one as I feel people being familiar with her as Harley Quinn did contribute to the successes of both Tonya and Barbie, even if that wasn't the only thing driving ticket sales, especially for Barbie.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Spidey Freak said:

Sherlock Holmes too. If we're counting streaming then Extraction as well.

I, Tonya on a smaller scale? Margot Robbie is an interesting one as I feel people being familiar with her as Harley Quinn did contribute to the successes of both Tonya and Barbie, even if that wasn't the only thing driving ticket sales, especially for Barbie.

Holmes is so long ago that I almost forgot RDJ did anything but MCU stuff 2008-2019, but you’re def right - maybe the best example of a mega hit being a “sling-shot” that helps another movie with the same actor. As for Robbie, I think she helped Quinn more than Quinn helped her - TWOWS feels like one of the definitive American movies of the century, and I think her having a big break there played a big role in her trajectory.

Streaming is iffy imo. I know Extraction was big, but how much of it had to do with it being the first big COVID streaming action film? 

I don't exactly find much reassurance in Nintendo being involved if the Mario film is what we get with their involvement, but I also don't think it matters much to either the audience or them. As long as "character does the thing" throughout the movie it won't really matter.