kayumanggi

Weekend Numbers [05.24 - 05.27, 2024] | 4-day actuals | 32.3M FURIOSA: A MAD MAX SAGA | 31.3M THE GARFIELD MOVIE | 22.3M IF | 17.6M KINGDOM OF THE PLANET OF THE APES

3 minutes ago, emoviefan said:

We can talk all we want about the inflated expectations for Furiosa but remember when some people around here thought Garfield was going to be some MIni Mario like breakout.  Never understood that and here we are. Of course it will be more profitable because it is cheap but still.

I can understand why some would thought Garfield could be surprise breakout, because that include myself. Almost all the surprise breakout or big hit in post-Covid, like TGM, Avatar, Barbieheimer and Mario, they all share a similarity rather than just simple nostalgic trope like someone claim. All this big hit carry name with high level of awareness but at the same time, still retaining some high level of novelty. These brand aren't highly exploited in recent years and well known by public. They are perfect example of the balance between fresh and familiarity.   

Garfield check off these boxes as something iconic and well known but is a brand didn't have much exposure in the cinematic space. That is why there was some ground for it to surprise but unfortunately it didn't. Twister, is another potential candidate. Disaster flick has not been in the public eyes for many years. Yes, it is outdated genre but we all know outdated trend come back alive in the circle of life throughout history.   

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

I can understand why some would thought Garfield could be surprise breakout, because that include myself. Almost all the surprise breakout or big hit in post-Covid, like TGM, Avatar, Barbieheimer and Mario, they all share a similarity rather than just simple nostalgic trope like someone claim. All this big hit carry name with high level of awareness but at the same time, still retaining some high level of novelty. These brand aren't highly exploited in recent years and well known by public. They are perfect example of the balance between fresh and familiarity.   

Garfield check off these boxes as something iconic and well known but is a brand didn't have much exposure in the cinematic space. That is why there was some ground for it to surprise but unfortunately it didn't. Twister, is another potential candidate. Disaster flick has not been in the public eyes for many years. Yes, it is outdated genre but we all know outdated trend come back alive in the circle of life throughout history.   

Good point on all that. I just feel that all those examples you gave all had a lot more going them then Garfield. The live action movies from 20 years ago are terrible and they are only remembered now as a joke for Bill Murray to tell in Zombieland. Sure Mario has the terrible live action movie from 30 years ago but it still was one of the most popular video game series all these years for all ages.  As some people pointed out kids are not interested in Garfield. It's more nostalgic adults that read it as a kid and maybe/probably still do. As for Twisters yeah I am bullish but yeah you never know. We will see in 7 weeks whether it can hit or not.

• Like 1

I was looking back at the summer of 2004 which was a pretty big summer for movies. Kind of funny that Troy was considered a box office disappointment at the time since it did a lot better than similar movies (King Arthur, Alexander, Kingdom of Heaven) and ridiculously better than similar recent movies (King Arthur: Legend of the Sword, The Northman, The Last Duel). Guessing it probably did really well on DVD as well since they spent money on a director's cut later.

Troy - Box Office Mojo

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, John Marston said:

I was looking back at the summer of 2004 which was a pretty big summer for movies. Kind of funny that Troy was considered a box office disappointment at the time of since it did a lot better than similar movies (King Arthur, Alexander, Kingdom of Heaven) and ridiculously better than similar recent movies (King Arthur: Legend of the Sword, The Northman, The Last Duel). Guessing it probably did really well on DVD as well since they spent money on a director's cut later.

Troy - Box Office Mojo

Troy’s such an underrated movie. It’s weird in that it kind of butchers so much of the characterization, but holy shit did it nail the images of war I had in my head when reading the Fagles translation of the Iliiad. Just some insanely bad-ass sequences, even with Pitt’s stilted/low-key awful performance. Wish we got a Sean Bean Odyssey movie too 😭😭😭

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, John Marston said:

I was looking back at the summer of 2004 which was a pretty big summer for movies. Kind of funny that Troy was considered a box office disappointment at the time since it did a lot better than similar movies (King Arthur, Alexander, Kingdom of Heaven) and ridiculously better than similar recent movies (King Arthur: Legend of the Sword, The Northman, The Last Duel). Guessing it probably did really well on DVD as well since they spent money on a director's cut later.

Troy - Box Office Mojo

I think the issue with a lot of films like Troy or even kingdom of Heaven is they usually get a lot more love after release. 

Kingdom of Heaven was trending a lot lately due to films lines alluding to current conflicts.

• Like 1

On 5/26/2024 at 6:33 AM, Potiki said:

Most of their shows have little staying power as well to be fair, those listed along with Bridgerton and Squid Game are really their heavy hitters.

The Dahmer show was a cultural phenomenom for better or worse.

6 minutes ago, eddyxx said:

The Dahmer show was a cultural phenomenom for better or worse.

Indeed. All those images of those kids going as him for Halloween that year were cringe and uncomfortable in equal measure.

10 minutes ago, Warmaster506 said:

Zaslav probably punched a hole in the wall of his mansion after the weekend numbers for Furiosa came out. 

I just assume Zaslav sits at home watching the Flash on loop. He’s not gonna pause the movie for this. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 8

Me watching Troy on AMC yesterday blissfully and then coming into the forums to see an appreciation discussion without me

cPLFuCK.gif

• Like 2
  • Heart 2

1 hour ago, John Marston said:

Troy - Box Office Mojo

Weren't they hoping it was another Gladiator? Especially with a few years of inflation to boost it. Troy did really well internationally but didn't have the same prestige/awards success.

One of the TVs at my gym is set to AMC and Troy was on yesterday. Hadn't thought about it in years until then.

21 minutes ago, BoxOfficeFangrl said:

Weren't they hoping it was another Gladiator? Especially with a few years of inflation to boost it. Troy did really well internationally but didn't have the same prestige/awards success.

Yep. After that movie struck gold there was a resurgence for a while of historical epics hoping to repeat its success but none were able to achieve either the box office or awards goals.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, ChipDerby said:

This is extremely subjective though

Not really? I mean, the “being good” part, yes — but for the “looking attractive to mass audiences” part the proof is kind of in the pudding

Edited by Legion Again

51 minutes ago, BoxOfficeFangrl said:

One of the TVs at my gym is set to AMC and Troy was on yesterday. Hadn't thought about it in years until then.

yeah when you look at it with those specific expectations it makes sense though when you look at it compares to all the similar movies I am thinking "wow those are pretty good numbers"

• Like 1

Loved Troy when it came out.  

As to its reputation at the time?  The best way I can explain it is: If Film Twitter existed at the time, they would have *HATED* the movie and ripped it to shreds.  I can say that because proto-Film Twitter (ie folks on forums and the like) ripped to shreds for not being "source accurate" amongst various other similar things.

But, damn, was it a great movie.  Loved it then, love it now.

• Like 2