ZeeSoh

Joker: Folie à Deux Weekend Thread

3 minutes ago, AMC Theaters Enjoyer said:

If this goes any lower than the low end there's a genuine chance it opens below the Wild Robots opening last weekend which would be insane. As much as I really do not like this film I want it to make some money at least and come out on the higher end. Theaters need the cash flow until Venom. Dismal really. 

Edited by wattage

Just now, wattage said:

If this goes any lower than the low end there's a genuine chance it opens below the Wild Robots opening last weekend which would be insane. As much as I really do not like this film I want it to make some money at least and come out on the higher end. Theaters need the cash flow until Venom. Dismal really. 

If it does barely above Wild Robot I will be so mad

Just now, Darth Lehnsherr said:

On the other hand, my beloved Wild Robot is doing well ❤️ unfortunate that it lost PLF and in a just world it would be able to share the screens with Joker next weekend. It was beautiful in Dolby.

3 minutes ago, MightyDargon said:

Wow, ONE movie from a 30 year old series that was literally viewed as the very last of its series (until they immediately announced a sequel afterwards because Hollywood).

There's plenty of cases post COVID where movies that got crummy reviews also crumbled because of inflation. "Critics hate it but I'm still seeing it" was a pre-COVID mindset.

Do I need to list every movie that was rotten on RT that became a hit since Covid? "And more," kid. 

9 minutes ago, Driver said:

So what's the prevailing theory here with Joker's failure? 

The first movie had a 3+ multiplier, indicating word of mouth was pretty good. So I don't buy the notion that this is a response to the first movie. Also, not a reflection of THIS movie's word of mouth cause that doesn't kick in until weekend two, or the first Saturday at the earliest in really extreme cases. Friday is too low to indicate fan-demand-esque frontloading. Audiences aren't typically swayed by bad reviews. So what's going on here? 

It was a combination of a lot of things that could go wrong (and they did). 

1. No one asked for it 

2. It's getting an awful reception 

3. The main demo for the first movie isn't into musicals and it wasn't the type of movie for musical lovers. 

4. A product of their time, social context matters for some things. 

5. DC has been damaged as a brand 

6. I know this discourse is exhausting, but the CBMs are just not the hot thing anymore. 

• Like 1

We'll see how Venom 3 and Kraven (pft) do I guess but this year has been another disastrous year for CBMs mostly. Only one big successful third film banking on beloved characters (Like GoTG Vol 3 before it last year) and a bunch of bombs, including a sequel to a previous billion dollar maker. The genre is absolutely in trouble and if Venom 3 also falls below Let There Be Carnage's numbers I think it's safe to say it's on the way out.