ZeeSoh

Joker: Folie à Deux Weekend Thread

Gaga stans being Todd Phillips's No.1 defenders was not on my 2024 bingo card

In all seriousness though, I don't see how you can call GA dumb just because they're rejecting your favu's vanity project when the best performing films from the last 2 years include Barbie, Oppenheimer, Across the Spider-Verse, Inside Out 2 and Dune 2, all films that would have been considered as "risque" and "overintellectual" for the masses in the 2000s and maybe even in the 2010s

• Like 6

57 minutes ago, Spidey Freak said:

Gaga stans being Todd Phillips's No.1 defenders was not on my 2024 bingo card

In all seriousness though, I don't see how you can call GA dumb just because they're rejecting your favu's vanity project when the best performing films from the last 2 years include Barbie, Oppenheimer, Across the Spider-Verse, Inside Out 2 and Dune 2, all films that would have been considered as "risque" and "overintellectual" for the masses in the 2000s and maybe even in the 2010s

Those movies being considered “overintellectual” sounds utterly terrifying.

• Like 4

34 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

Joker somehow increased from Friday to Saturday here in the UK lol. 

Minimally, but it went up. 

I’m just happy Smile 2 is guaranteed to open at #1 now :) 

i don't think in europe (but you're in an anglophone country so could be different) all the social discussion has the fast impact has in the Us. WOM of course exists but in the first weekend it's normal to see increases etc... i never saw here in italy a movie on saturday makes less than friday... doesn't matter how bad reviewed is or how toxic WOM is...on saturday a movie just makes more than friday. 

14 minutes ago, vale9001 said:

i don't think in europe (but you're in an anglophone country so could be different) all the social discussion has the fast impact has in the Us. WOM of course exists but in the first weekend it's normal to see increases etc... i never saw here in italy a movie on saturday makes less than friday... doesn't matter how bad reviewed is or how toxic WOM is...on saturday a movie just makes more than friday. 

Nah not here in the UK.

Fan rush/ frontloading is also a thing here too. For example, just in August both It Ends With Us and Alien Romulus decreased from Friday to Saturday. 

3 hours ago, eddyxx said:

I haven’t watched WWE regularly since the 2000s. Is the product any better now that McMahon is banished? I hear Triple H did some good stuff in the farm show they had but any time I tuned into Raw, the characters just never popped aside from a few like the guy who passed recently with the mask. (The fiend?)I miss the crazy gimmicks from the late 90s and the bad asses who didn’t give a fuck like Rock and Austin.

I stopped watching regularly for about 15 years until this year.

I didn't have rose coloured glasses for the thing. The WWE product being produced today is the best I've seen it be. They basically cycle through their roster, give a character a spotlight, and force the audience to actually care about what they do. So many characters being so supported properly makes for weekly shows that are far more consistently solid than what I remember. As a kid I would probably fast forward through most of the show - so it's actually shocking I don't feel much of a need to 15 years later.

The problem is highs of the past aren't there. They don't have any villains (just somewhat unlikeable people), they don't have as many big stunts, and there's one anchor story on the Monday show which is so poorly put together you wonder if WWE's reemergence was just a fluke.  

2 hours ago, ListenHunnyUrOver said:

Dune Part II didn't push any boundaries for science fiction, and Oppenheimer was a fairly conventional biopic. Joker 2 is expanding what a comic book sequel can be. They are not the same.

Batman used to dance in the 60's. Batman had to sing a Billie Holliday song to transform Wonder Woman back from a pig in the 2000's.  

These Joker people aren't doing anything that hasn't already been done.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Eric Quinn said:

Those movies being considered “overintellectual” sounds utterly terrifying.

I forget how young some of you guys are that you can't remember how bleak the 2000s really were 😭 Josie and the Pussycats walked so that Barbie could rollerblade at the BO

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ListenHunnyUrOver said:

I wouldn't use that word, but I am losing faith in the general audience more and more every year. Look at the top 10 highest grossing films in a calendar year from 30 years ago compared to today. I think the spirit of going into a cinema and letting a director and creative team take you on a journey for better or worse is just totally lost. People want a very particular formula from their movies, and any substantial deviation must be rejected.

Didn't audiences show up for Barbiehiemer last year?

Isn't Dune and Twisters both in the top 5 DOM this year?

Audiences can't reward movies that Hollywood doesn't produce.

The current top 10 adds up to like 40 in terms of sequels/remakes/reboots/spin offs of the same stories. We’ve already seen Hugh Jackman as Wolverine in like 8 different films by now. 

It usually/always is.

Can’t people just accept that those are what keeps the lights on in cinemas for you to see films you might find more interesting and original. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, ListenHunnyUrOver said:

Will audiences be upset that Elphaba isn't exactly like the L. Frank Baum version of the character or Margaret Hamilton portrayal when they see Wicked? Why do we have to be married to iterations of characters that are decades old?

It's a different case, because people expect Elphaba would be different from the Wicked promotionals.

Even people who don't know about Wicked musical could notice from the trailers that she won't be the villain she was in Wizard of Oz.