Shawn Robbins

May 4, 2012 Weekend (AVENGERS Opening Discussion): ACTUAL 207.4 mill!!!!

• Founder / Operator

We're going to be maintaining one topic for weekend numbers from here on for awhile. This is to help with archival purposes, including the possibility of linking them on each movie's BO.com movie page. It also prevents unnecessary clutter in the databases. Topic titles will be updated accordingly once a staff member sees a new thread has been made for a new weekend day's numbers, and then merged.

Care to post some calculations on that?

With a 52% 3D? Somebody calculated with a 60% 3D a pretty close call in admissions, yet TDK and SP having more. Isn't is logical that with a lower 3D % that TA actually has more admissions?

I don't have calculations but didn't someone figure out that assuming a 60% share it'd need about 210M to break the attendance record? 52% is considerably lower, so 200M would probably break the attendance record.

The 52% number is attendance rather than revenue if I'm not mistaken. 60% 3D share was based on the studio's report that 60% of the revenue from Friday came from 3D. With higher prices, that would mean lower admissions required to achieve the same percentage of revenue. In other words, 60% of the revenue in 3D would actually be lower than 60% of the admissions in 3D.

Wow, this has a decent chance at toppling DH2 worldwide. I'm gutted.

Well that 91OD and the 43.5MID record are some consolation.... Well until TDKR breaks that OD record in July potentially. The MID record is probably here to stay for some time now.

The 52% is for attendance. Since we all know 3D tickets cost more, the percentage of 3D will obviously be higher than that.

I was wondering how the hell it would make 200m with only a 52% 3D share... Edited by Hatebox

This is an amazing and ground breaking performance for The Avengers. Never thought it would be that big.I'm still shocked with Hunger Games opening to over 150m but having a film over 200m on its first 3 days is just jaw dropping. The thing is that The Avengers is unbelievably crowd pleasing. In a way that the first two Shrek were. It could be leggy even with a huge opening like that. I tried to stay conservative this whole time but there is a very strong possibility that it will make more than 500m domestic. Adding the huge OS numbers and this is a historic run.As far as The Dark Knight Rises goes i don't think that it will break the OW record. I'm not sure it will match The Avengers' total either. But it's way too early to know for sure. As far as quality, it also has a big obstacle to overcome since The Avengers were really fun and really good. Of course from what i've seen from Batman so far suggests that the quality battle will be an easier one than the OW and total gross.

• Founder / Operator

Well, theres pros and cons. The pros is that if you ever want to go back and experience all the insane atmosphere that happened on this historic weekend, you don't have to look for two or three threads, you can just start from page 1 of this thread. And this thread should be linked to the main avengers thread too so that next time, people who want to go back can easily find this opening weekend thread, which was of course mainly all about the Avengers.Cons are that for people who want to go to the start of when the news for 200 million OW estimate first came in, they won't find it so easily now (unless the title bookmarks it...) :)

Please feel free (this goes for everyone) to ask a staff member to post a link in the first post of the topic to the direct post announcing new estimates releases. This is something else that will really help with keeping the board more organized and allowing people to go back and find one single thread for each weekend.. :)

Well that 91OD and the 43.5MID record are some consolation.... Well until TDKR breaks that OD record in July potentially. The MID record is probably here to stay for some time now.

I agree, TDKr has both these totals in jeopardy after seeing this even without 3d

The 52% number is attendance rather than revenue if I'm not mistaken. 60% 3D share was based on the studio's report that 60% of the revenue from Friday came from 3D. With higher prices, that would mean lower admissions required to achieve the same percentage of revenue. In other words, 60% of the revenue in 3D would actually be lower than 60% of the admissions in 3D.

I remember wrong, I was under the assumption that the 60% figure was admissions not revenue. My bad.

With a 52% 3D? Somebody calculated with a 60% 3D a pretty close call in admissions, yet TDK and SP having more. Isn't is logical that with a lower 3D % that TA actually has more admissions?

No, the 60% number was based on revenue rather than admissions. 3D prices are higher, so the percentage of 3D revenue would be higher than the percentage of 3D tickets. The Saturday morning report was that 60% of the revenue was coming from 3D. It's safe to assume that quite a bit less than 60% of the tickets sold were 3D.