Shawn Robbins

May 4, 2012 Weekend (AVENGERS Opening Discussion): ACTUAL 207.4 mill!!!!

10 years ago, a comic book adaption released on the first weekend of May destroyed the OW record held by the first Harry Potter film by passing 100m for the first time.

There's something poetic about how another comic book adaption released on the first weekend of May destroyed the OW record held by the last Harry Potter film by passing 200m for the first time.

That's hilarious. Poor Potter. :lol:

Didn't most of us say the same about a 200M OW???

Can you at least try to make a relatable point? You could get to $200m OW with 3D and less frontloaded blockbusters much more easily than $100 OD for a film solely in 2D that doesn't lend itself to midnight records.

How is $40m midnights and $50m rest of day not possible after what we've seen this year with THG and TA. Even without 3d, this will be more frontloaded than TDK.

Because the Avengers only scored $18m midnight? Because superheroes in general (and mostly everything except teen blockbusters) have low midnight in general? Where's your $40m TDKR midnights coming from? Hopes? Wishes?The Hunger Games didn't come close to $80m, let alone $100m OD. Avengers still didn't beat Potter's OD and even with such strong day business and youth appeal it still didn't make it there, so what's your point?I get that it's May, but it's still a valid point. Much more point than yours based on what exactly?

You are so wrong it's not even funny, the industry has changed to event culture like hyping a big fight or sporting event. TDKr OD will be the place to be in July during the summer, the potential is there for $90m+

This I agree with.

DHII is pretty hollow. Characterised by the likes of the sterotypical 'the chosen one' and moustache twirling villains. Let's not pretend Potter is some deep movie.

Not that this determines a good movie anyway.

Posted Image

HOLY CRAP !!!200 Million !TA is making history.This si the Indiana Jones of its genration, the movie is just cool in every way, the tone is perfect, the enjoyment unbeatable .This is pure escapism gold made by brilliant people.The Avengers trilogy is going to make gazillion billions of dollars.This si the crown achievement of Joss Whedon's career,the godfather geek. :wave: :wave:

Yeah Avengers still hasn't reached the legendary fever pitch of Star Wars ANH when it was released but I think Indiana Jones is a fair comparison.

DHII is pretty hollow. Characterised by the likes of the sterotypical 'the chosen one' and moustache twirling villains. Let's not pretend Potter is some deep movie.Not that this determines a good movie anyway.

For adults, no question it is juvenile but I mean that's the point though right?

Didn't Potter make over 10% of its revenue from IMAX? Same thing would apply here.

Potter sold out every one of its IMAX showings and made 15.6M.Avengers should do 16-17M, i.e. 8% of the gross, not 8% of the tickets.Like I said previously, let's just wait for the actuals for exact IMAX and 3D gross.

I disagree - as much as I hate the title cards on the trailers I think it's masterstroke of marketing to contrive that aspect.

Don't watch trailers for movies I want to see so I'll take your word.

You are so wrong it's not even funny, the industry has changed to event culture like hyping a big fight or sporting event. TDKr OD will be the place to be in July during the summer, the potential is there for $90m+

LOL fanboy has no answer. Typical. You saying potential is there for $90m+ with nothing to back it up but hopes is funny.TDKR has a chance at $300m OW too then? $100m OD, but then it should sell out the same amount for the next 2 days because it's an event. Maybe even an increase on Saturday? It has potential. :rolleyes:

THG's BO story was still quite amazing. It just came out of nowhere. THe hype built up within a matter of weeks and the next thing we knew, we had a box office behemoth on ourhands that has now beaten all the twilight movies as well as DH2 domestic.But I would say TA's BO story is right up there too. Certainly the hype was alrady there. But before this, I think TDKR was front runner for OW record for 2012. Now, its got a massive bar to reach (which I Think it will fail).Both TA and THG's BO story are amazing. TA was the better known story though. A lot of people felt that it should do well already. But it has surpassed the expectations of a lot of people. :D