75Live

May 7 - 10, 2012 Weekday Numbers: AVENGERS 12.5 Thurs pg 61

Perhaps, but why should it? I think its more front loaded than that, remember its a modern event movie. Yes it appeals to many, but its also fanboi driven, its broader appeal is whats stopping it having Twilight/potter drops until after the second weekend. Its just a feeling, but i think it will drop hard after 10 days or so.I dont mind in the least if it does pass TDK, but i dont want it to pass Titanic.

I don't see how that differs from TDK.

I don't see how that differs from TDK.

TDK didnt have the build up this did. The previous film was ok, not stunning and TDKs anticipation was way lower, it was driven by the whole Ledger thing and WOM.I think it will be in the 525-565 range, but talk of $650-700M is madness. Its weekday drops will be too big for a 600+ total. Edited by Rovex

TDK adjusted for inflation and 3D is over $650m, so apparently it was appealing to pretty much everyone. Avengers has a shot to beat that adjusted number for sure, but it's not a lock. I'm in the $700m club, but it's going to need some amazing weekend holds to pull it off.

You can't deny that The Avengers has a far more wide range than TDK does. It just is what it is, regardless of box office numbers. Would you take your six year old nephew to see The Avengers or TDK? This is not a competition between them, I'm not favoring one or another, I'm just stating that very much like Star Wars and Spider-Man, The Avengers has wider range of appeal than TDK. And TDK numbers adjusted with inflation and 3D aren't the TDK numbers, they are fictional what if numbers, since TDK doesn't have 3D. I'm not in the $700M club, I think The Avengers has the potential to surpass $600M DOM, but I'm still not seeing it getting past $700M.

Perhaps, but why should it? I think its more front loaded than that, remember its a modern event movie. Yes it appeals to many, but its also fanboi driven, its broader appeal is whats stopping it having Twilight/potter drops until after the second weekend. Its just a feeling, but i think it will drop hard after 10 days or so.

TA hasn't shown this, yet. Thursday's number represents about a 94% drop from it's ridiculously high OW.IM1 dropped closer to 95% from its OW to 1st Thu and X2 dropped the same.

TDK didnt have the build up this did. The previous film was ok, not stunning and TDKs anticipation was way lower, it was driven by the whole Ledger thing and WOM.I think it will be in the 525-565 range, but talk of $650-700M is madness. Its weekday drops will be too big for a 600+ total.

I think Ledger's death made the anticipation for TDK insane, at least that's how I remember. And the biggest reason for TDK to score so big is exactly that, besides having a superb interpretation of the Joker. And I have a problem with people saying that "BB was ok". It was more than ok, it was the best Batman movie so far, I know it's all opinions, but the way people understimate BB and overrate TDK makes me sad.

You can't deny that The Avengers has a far more wide range than TDK does. It just is what it is, regardless of box office numbers. Would you take your six year old nephew to see The Avengers or TDK? This is not a competition between them, I'm not favoring one or another, I'm just stating that very much like Star Wars and Spider-Man, The Avengers has wider range of appeal than TDK.And TDK numbers adjusted with inflation and 3D aren't the TDK numbers, they are fictional what if numbers, since TDK doesn't have 3D. I'm not in the $700M club, I think The Avengers has the potential to surpass $600M DOM, but I'm still not seeing it getting past $700M.

My parents took me to see the likes of B89, T2, and Batman Returns all before the age of 7. I was 3.5 when I saw B89 in the theater. Loved the movies and don't see anything wrong with taking a kid to watch Nolan's Batflicks either. Hell, the 8 year old kid sitting next to me at the Avengers screening said "that was so cool" when the TDKR trailer ended.

• Founder / Operator

If Avengers sells a significantly higher number of tickets than TDK, then I think we can start arguing that it has a wider range of appeal. But, as is, Avengers is certainly no lock to reach $650 million (which is VERY roughly what it needs to do in order to sell the same approx. number of tickets as TDK).

Both have incredibly wide, 4-quad appeal. TDK may be dark, but its still freakin' Batman. I think we sometimes underestimate what kids -- especially boys -- are into from a very young age.

But, I can at least agree that very little kids are a little more apt to be interested in Avengers than Nolan's Batman. I don't think that crowd is much larger than the number of older audiences who aren't into Avengers and *are* into Nolan's Batman, though. They play to slightly different strengths, but that doesn't necessarily mean one has wider appeal than the other. Avengers skews a little younger, Batman skews a little older. Everyone in the middle -- generally speaking -- appreciates them both.

Edited by ShawnMR

Print media and traditional journalists will almost always err on the side of caution when it comes to predicting box-office, especially for weekends. If they low-ball, they can always say "Wow, that was amazing!" But if they overestimate, they come off looking like tools.

• Like 1

My parents took me to see the likes of B89, T2, and Batman Returns all before the age of 7. I was 3.5 when I saw B89 in the theater. Loved the movies and don't see anything wrong with taking a kid to watch Nolan's Batflicks either. Hell, the 8 year old kid sitting next to me at the Avengers screening said "that was so cool" when the TDKR trailer ended.

I was very young when I saw B89 too, but at least the way I see it, the audiences of The Avengers and TDK are similar, but not the same. I don't have problems with kids watching it, I just think it's less likely than with something like The Avengers or Amazing Spider-Man. It's like saying that Star Wars and Blade Runner could have the same audience back then.

It was more than ok, it was the best Batman movie so far, I know it's all opinions, but the way people understimate BB and overrate TDK makes me sad.

Agreed. I watched BB last night and there are so many iconic Batman moments in that movie, it's not even funny. It's not perfect by any means, but it is a great Batman movie.
  • Like 1

If Avengers sells a significantly higher number of tickets than TDK, then I think we can start arguing that it has a wider range of appeal. But, as is, Avengers is certainly no lock to reach $650 million (which is VERY roughly what it needs to do in order to sell the same approx. number of tickets as TDK).

Both have incredibly wide, 4-quad appeal. TDK may be dark, but its still freakin' Batman. I think we sometimes underestimate what kids -- especially boys -- are into from a very young age.

But, I can at least agree that very little kids are a little more apt to be interested in Avengers than Nolan's Batman. I don't think that crowd is much larger than the number of older audiences who aren't into Avengers and *are* into Nolan's Batman, though. They play to slightly different strengths, but that doesn't necessarily mean one has wider appeal than the other. Avengers skews a little younger, Batman skews a little older. Everyone in the middle -- generally speaking -- appreciates them both.

My point is that if I set my mind to think like a kid, the kid in me would look at The Avengers, Amazing Spider-Man and Batman and think that the first two are more cooler than the last. But that can be just me, so I don't know. I still not sold for people saying that TDKR has a wider appeal than The Avengers.

I was very young when I saw B89 too, but at least the way I see it, the audiences of The Avengers and TDK are similar, but not the same. I don't have problems with kids watching it, I just think it's less likely than with something like The Avengers or Amazing Spider-Man. It's like saying that Star Wars and Blade Runner could have the same audience back then.

Blade Runner? That was a flop at the box office. Not a good comparison to the likes of TDK or B89. Jaws is a better comparison to Star Wars if you want to talk about something that was hugely successful but doesn't seem "kid-friendly."

Perhaps, but why should it? I think its more front loaded than that, remember its a modern event movie. Yes it appeals to many, but its also fanboi driven, its broader appeal is whats stopping it having Twilight/potter drops until after the second weekend. Its just a feeling, but i think it will drop hard after 10 days or so.I dont mind in the least if it does pass TDK, but i dont want it to pass Titanic.

I know you can't lock much, but passing TDK is beyond locked. It's going to be at 350 mill absolute minimum this weekend, more than likely 370 and a slight chance, very slight at 400. TDK is done.
  • Like 1

I know you can't lock much, but passing TDK is beyond locked. It's going to be at 350 mill absolute minimum this weekend, more than likely 370 and a slight chance, very slight at 400. TDK is done.

So, 550m dom is currently the floor for TA ???