Corpse

JAPAN BOX OFFICE | Demon Slayer breaks all time record for OW

His point was that they didn't wait too long with the sequel so it held well, unlike those other films.

It was pointless movie so it dropped. Minimizing the drop is the only noteworthy thing it did.

I remember PotC4 was greatly helped by 3D and the exchange rate when it opened. That 108M would likely be equivalent to around 75/80M today.

Any reason why friday is the only weekday that decreased this week? 

Other than last Friday being inflated (already mentioned), T"A"SM2's opening today probably had at least a minor effect.

*5.6m to omni changing his avatar to the greatest actor of the last quarter century

So no more keanu reeves?

Anyone else?

9.1M. If I end up being disappointed, I'll blame it on you :P

.So no more keanu reeves?9.1M. If I end up being disappointed, I'll blame it on you :P

Keanu is the best! 25 years of tge most bodacious cinema. If you ever consider acting, you must attend his acting school.http://www.allvoices.com/news/8686729/video/76896242-mad-tv---the-keanu-reeves-school-of-actingIf it does 8.9m, that would like still be totally awesome! I'll FedEx you Pepto and cookies anyway, totally.

What's the likelihood of IM3 going down? 50%?

I'm slowly becoming a believer of that milestone. Would be the ultimate crown. And Elsa needs that damn crown.

I guess mfantin will say that it is a lock :P

The next two or three weeks are probably going to decide whether it will happen or not. It still has not begun to drop in a proper pattern so projecting where it might end up with any kind of precision is pretty hard (and the span between minimum and maximum is huge). But at least from how the coming weekend is developing i would assume it is more likely than not going to get that crown. I think the $190M it needs for that might not be the floor (harsh unforseen drops can happen anytime) but probably pretty close to it... would guess it would end up somewhere around $170M if everything goes completely wrong from here on out :)

• Like 1

What's the likelihood of IM3 going down? 50%? I'm slowly becoming a believer of that milestone. Would be the ultimate crown. And Elsa needs that damn crown.

I guess mfantin will say that it is a lock :P The next two or three weeks are probably going to decide whether it will happen or not. It still has not begun to drop in a proper pattern so projecting where it might end up with any kind of precision is pretty hard (and the span between minimum and maximum is huge). But at least from how the coming weekend is developing i would assume it is more likely than not going to get that crown. I think the $190M it needs for that might not be the floor (harsh unforseen drops can happen anytime) but probably pretty close to it... would guess it would end up somewhere around $170M if everything goes completely wrong from here on out :)

Your right chuck. 100% certifiably locked. Absurd I know, but here's whyOk box office nerds, the great ray subers calls us that, the biggest number of the run is coming up with S-A, 3Dd, GW and competition. Saturday Toho 1430 will tell us what's to come. Its rocket booster time thru the stratosphere and into spirited away orbit. Ciao Ponyo and HMCThe weekend should be 5 times the 1430 number. The following 14 days should be 5 times the weekend, +/-5% for both.Toho......we.....gw......tot 4/422-23k= 8m + 40m = 159m Worst case based on presales25-27k= 9m + 45m = 165m Probable28-31k= 10m+50m = 171m Possible33-36k= 11m+55m = 177m. Ya never know
  • Like 1

Corpse (WOKJ):

Weekend Forecast [04/26-27]

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

01 (01) ¥760 million ($7.4 million), Frozen (Disney) Week 7

02 (--) ¥545 million ($5.3 million), Thermae Romae II (Toho) NEW
03 (02) ¥480 million ($4.6 million), Detective Conan: The Sniper from Another Dimension (Toho) Week 2
04 (--) ¥450 million ($4.3 million), The Amazing Spider-Man 2 (Sony) NEW
05 (--) ¥340 million ($3.2 million), Partners the Movie 3 (Toei) NEW

06 (03) ¥225 million ($2.1 million), Crayon Shin-chan: Serious Battle! Robot Dad Strikes (Toho) Week 2
07 (04) ¥110 million ($1.0 million), Captain America: The Winter Soldier (Disney) Week 2
08 (05) ¥90 million ($880,000), Crows: Explode (Toho) Week 3
09 (06) ¥50 million ($480,000), L-DK (Toei) Week 3
10 (08) ¥35 million ($330,000), The Snow White Murder Case (Shochiku) Week 5
Projected Top 10 Total: ¥3.085 billion (#6 All-Time Weekend, #2-All Time non-July Weekend)

>Frozen has locked up a 7th-week on top as it's pretty far ahead of everything else so far this morning and when looking at its afternoon and evening ticket sales. Disney and whoever else that was responsible for releasing the sing-a-long and 3D dubbed version this weekend, right before Golden Week begins, too, was genius. If it manages a 6th-consecutive week grossing over 800 million ($8 million)... we'll be discussing the potential for ¥20 billion ($200 million), making it only the fifth film to ever reach that milestone (Spirited Away > Titanic > Howl's Moving Castle > Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone). 

After box-office grosses became more evenly distributed among many films around 2006 vs the top-heavy nature of the box-office of the late 90's and early 00's, the chances of seeing another ¥20 billion film occur were slim to say the least when a film reaching half that figure has become incredibly difficult in recent years, so this is tremendous. 

>Thermae Romae II looks like it's going to avoid the "WE DON"T WANT SEQUELS ANYMORE!" attitude that's been causing many sequels (that aren't annual) to disappoint or flatout bomb over the past year or two. 

But it also doesn't have huge ticket sales so far to suggest it's going to breakout beyond expectations, either. One thing to keep in mind regarding the film is that evening and night showings appear stronger than morning and afternoon showtimes, so there may be some potential there. 

>The Amazing Spider-Man 2 should have been a lock to open over ¥500 million, but that number is looking difficult. One positive is that its 3D showings aren't doing too bad so far at most locations helping to keep a debut of ¥500 million alive, but for now I don't think it has enough interest to beat enter the Top 3 over the weekend. 

>Partners the Movie 3 is doing well enough to open over a respectable ¥300 million, and may not trail far behind Spider-Man in admissions.

Corpse boarding the $200m+ train?  :lol: 

Edited by Rsyu
  • Like 2

It's a few days old, but I was curious how the chart of non-Japanese films looks at the moment. I trimmed this down from Corpse's chart of the top films of all time in Japan. Frozen is #17 on the list:

01 ¥26.20 billion - Titanic (1997)02 ¥20.30 billion - Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (2001)03 ¥17.30 billion - Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (2002)04 ¥15.60 billion - Avatar (2009)05 ¥13.70 billion - The Last Samurai (2003)06 ¥13.50 billion - Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (2004)06 ¥13.50 billion - E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial (1982)08 ¥13.40 billion - Armageddon (1998)09 ¥12.85 billion - Jurassic Park (1993)10 ¥12.70 billion - Star Wars: Episode I - The Phantom Menace (1999)11 ¥11.80 billion - Alice in Wonderland (2010)12 ¥11.00 billion - The Matrix Reloaded (2003)12 ¥11.00 billion - Finding Nemo (2003)12 ¥11.00 billion - Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (2005)15 ¥10.90 billion - Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End (2007)16 ¥10.80 billion - Toy Story 3 (2010)17 ¥10.73 billion - Frozen (2014) [6 weeks in release]

It probably cracks the top 10 next week?

• Like 1

¥20b would be tremendous!

Yes. I mostly wanted to check the list to see how likely it is that Frozen turns into the biggest non-Japanese film of all time. While I hope it can get there, the 26.2 billion that Titanic earned is a huge hurdle to cross.

If mfantin turns out to be right regarding the size of Golden Week, then I'll start to believe it's possible.

After box-office grosses became more evenly distributed among many films around 2006 vs the top-heavy nature of the box-office of the late 90's and early 00's,

Why did this happen exactly? Edited by lab276