Corpse

JAPAN BOX OFFICE | Demon Slayer breaks all time record for OW

Yes!!!  Possible ¥10 billion player?  Would be the first animated film since Frozen two years ago I believe and the only animated film to pass that mark that is not associated with Disney/Pixar/Ghibli.  I truly hope so since it would truly mark the beginning of a new golden age for director Shinkai.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, SchumacherFTW said:

Deadline is claiming Pets is number 1 for a 3rd week :lol: ばか。

They're probably talking about imported films exclusively, they often forget acknowledge to mention that Japan makes films too...  In all seriousness, Deadline's criteria for what constitutes as a, "Number one film" in the foreign markets is convoluted as is for a majority of these box office reports as studios can easily mend the headlines.  They sometimes manipulate the numbers to satisfy their own agenda such as reporting a film as being number based on admissions one week, but then changing it to gross in Yen another, and somehow using USD again on another week...  It often happens since they rarely count the local films and only write about the American imported ones.

Edited by CelestialFairyIX
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, CelestialFairyIX said:

Yes!!!  Possible ¥10 billion player?  Would be the first animated film since Frozen two years ago I believe and the only animated film to pass that mark that is not associated with Disney/Pixar/Ghibli.  I truly hope so since it would truly mark the beginning of a new golden age for director Shinkai.

I've been wanting to say ¥10 billion ($100 million) contender all day, but I'm going to hold off.  An ~11.5 multiplier, while not impossible, will be very, very difficult to achieve with a late-August release.  Once the third weekend of September finishes (holiday weekend), the box office is usually in a dead period until December.  Now, that doesn't mean a film can't still pull in stellar numbers in the Fall, but it is the weakest time of the year.  

• Like 4

Just now, Corpse said:

I've been wanting to say ¥10 billion ($100 million) contender all day, but I'm going to hold off.  An ~11.5 multiplier, while not impossible, will be very, very difficult to achieve with a late-August release.  Once the third weekend of September finishes (holiday weekend), the box office is usually in a dead period until December.  Now, that doesn't mean a film can't still pull in stellar numbers in the Fall, but it is the weakest time of the year.  

Even that slight possibility tingles my senses!  It would be a HISTORIC achievement to say the least!

It was corrected, @Cookson

I believe Your Name. may have just delivered the most impressive opening weekend ever.  It's very hard to find a film that's comparable to it.  It's bigger than any Ghibli film, except for Miyazaki's last four films, and every Pixar film as well (though second to Nemo in admissions).   

However, it earned its huge opening on fewer screens (301 versus the typical 400+) and came from a studio and director that has never had a box office success, so to speak, since they were always limited releases.  Makato Shinkai is a well-known name, no doubt, and people have been looking to him to succeed Miyazaki, but he went into the weekend with no past box office hits.  And let's not forget about the release date; late-August is generally not a strong period, while basically every other major opener had the luxury of a prime Spring/Summer/Winter slot.

I'll post the Weekend Actuals shortly. 

• Like 2

One of the biggest takeaways for me was its avg. ticket price - 1,351.  That number suggests it's appealing to a very diverse crowd, which is key for it to sustain its momentum going forward.  If it had been under 1,300, we'd know that teens/young adults were the driving force behind its success, and that legs would probably only be average/slighly above average with school starting back this week.  But since it's comfortably above 1,300, that means it's attracting a lot of adults as well.  

Edited by Corpse
  • Like 2

On 8/28/2016 at 6:05 PM, Cynosure said:

Why did they go with such a release date though ? Seems odd to release your blockbuster potential movie a few weeks prior to the weakest time of the year and right after Obon, the biggest week of the year.

So it just surpassed Godzilla (1998) in attendance. Good.

169395_1.jpg
(C) 2016「君の名は。」製作委員会

Weekend Actuals (08/27-28)
01 (---) ¥930,058,800 ($9.2 million), 0, ¥1,277,958,800 ($12.6 million), Your Name. (Toho) NEW
02 (01) ¥360,182,100 ($3.6 million), -06%, ¥5,302,014,700 ($51.7 million), Shin Godzilla (Toho) WK5
03 (02) ¥299,150,700 ($2.9 million), -18%, ¥3,145,938,300 ($31.0 million), The Secret Life of Pets (Toho-Towa) WK3
04 (---) ¥214,965,500 ($2.1 million), 0, ¥214,965,500 ($2.1 million), Black Widow Business (Toho) NEW
05 (03) ¥155,497,800 ($1.5 million), -35%, ¥815,666,500 ($8.0 million), Ghostbusters (Sony) WK2
06 (05) ¥147,964,200 ($1.4 million), -25%, ¥607,717,600 ($6.0 million), Yell for the Blue Sky (Toho) WK2
07 (06) ¥132,717,000 ($1.3 million), -31%, ¥6,428,128,000 ($62.3 million), Finding Dory (Disney) WK7
08 (04) ¥131,005,400 ($1.3 million), -37%, ¥1,775,075,800 ($17.6 million), The Jungle Book (Disney) WK3
09 (07) ¥120,079,300 ($1.2 million), -23%, ¥4,778,855,700 ($46.0 million), One Piece Film Gold (Toei) WK6
10 (---) ¥119,989,500 ($1.1 million), 0, ¥162,241,700 ($1.6 million), Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Out of the Shadows (Paramount) NEW

>Your Name. experiences a blockbuster opening weekend, nearly an uber-blockbuster start, eclipsing even the highest of expectations prior to the weekend, delivering what I consider possibly the most impressive opening weekend of all-time in the market.  There was zero precedent for this film to debut with such impressive results. 

Acclaimed director Makoto Shinkai's first wide release sold a staggering 688,079 admissions over the weekend frame on 301 screens.  And since opening on Friday, it sold an even more impressive 959,834 admissions after three days in release.  Shinkai is viewed as a candidate to succeed Hayao Miyazaki's in Japan as the country's top film director, and he delivered in every way imaginable with his first wide release this weekend.  He is no stranger to critically-acclaimed films; he's been releasing acclaimed limited releases since 2004.  But well-received, award-winning films are only half of the battle to achieving the title critics and audiences are bestowing upon him.  And through the immense reputation he's built with his limited releases, he hit it out of the park at the box office this weekend with his first wide release this weekend. 

The critically-acclaimed film shattered the August opening weekend record, and eclipsed the opening record for an original animated title from a non-established studio.  And, it also came in above almost every Studio Ghibli film and Disney/Pixar film.  In terms of admissions, it only trailed Miyazaki's last four films and Finding Nemo.  And it achieved this feat on far fewer screens, too, on just 301 versus the typical 400/500+ that established studio releases receive.

Toho is projecting the film will reach a total of ¥6 billion ($60 million), a projection that's already almost 100% certain.  However, when you factor in that it sold through nearly 50% of its weekend admissions (helping to boost the holdovers in the process via sellouts), and just how well-received it's been so far, I highly doubt it finishes below ¥7 billion ($70 million).  And if audiences truly recognize Shinkai as Miyazaki's true successor, and this weekend is a strong indication that they have, then we could be looking at a potential run of much more than ¥7 billion ($70 million).

In holdover news...

>Shin-Godzilla experiences another incredible hold, and earned its best hold-to-date - barely dropping at all compared to last weekend.  It has easily exceeded the ¥5 billion ($50 million) blockbuster milestone after just five weeks in release, and is also going to cruise right past the ¥6 billion ($60 million) mark as well - and when it does, it'll likely have sold enough admissions to have become the most-attended Godzilla film since 1966!  There seems to be no slowing down for this WOM monster, so don't be surprised if it's still in the top 10 when we head into October.

>Black Widow Business managed a solid fourth place debut, selling 182,555 admissions across 318 screens over the weekend.  Prior to going into the weekend, pre-sales were suggesting it may only sell just over 100,000 admissions, and it outperformed that figure decidedly well.

>Finding Dory continues to its struggle to post great/excellent holds, and not simply "good" holds.  It's fallen further behind Monsters University after seven weeks in release, and is now trailing it by 17%.  There's really no chance it'll make a recovery at this stage of its release, so it's going to finish just over the ¥7 billion ($70 million) milestone.  That's an impressive result, sure, but fairly disappointing for Pixar and it's down a hefty 35% compared to its predecessor.   

>One Piece Film Gold enjoys a healthy weekend hold in its sixth weekend, and is just shy of outgrossing 2009's One Piece Film Strong World (¥4.8 billion).  It likely surpassed it on Monday, and should either be very, very close to the ¥5 billion ($50 million) blockbuster milestone after next weekend, or just over it.  It's going to end up down around 25% compared to its predecessor, 2012's One Piece Film Z, though.

>Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Out of the Shadows is a bomb, faily to even reach 100,000 admissions over the weekend frame.  Although, it did crawl past that number since opening on Friday, selling 107,483 admissions after three days in relase on 542 screens.  It's down a significant   53% compared to its predecessor.

• Like 6