Neo

It | Sept. 8, 2017 | Warner Brothers | Andy Muschietti directing. Trailer on Page 12 NO SPOILER DISCUSSION. Certified Fresh on Rotten Tomatoes

1 hour ago, jandrew said:

Most horror movies today are all about demons and evil spirit glorification. Like Baumer said, the 70s seemed to have a fetish with human on human violence. Nothing has gotten darker, Hollywood just moved on from serial killers to the Devil. And todays movies are definitely less bloody, everyone just gets their bodies contorted now.

In large part, this is because young filmmakers were really disturbed about the state of the world -- for the first time, news journalism was broadcasting daily war footage and many people were realizing what terrible atrocities were being committed by both sides. "True horror", for these up-and-coming directors -- Craven, Hooper, Carpenter, Romero... etc -- was the dark depths people can descend into and the violence and degradation they can inflict on fellow humans.

• Like 8

49 minutes ago, UrosepsisFace said:

The best part of the movie industry is its ability to appeal to different tastes. While IT might be too dark for you, though I'm not seeing that from the trailers, you've got popular PG-13 horror movies like last year's Lights Out. Also, there are a ton of other genres that have lighter fair. Heck, the number one studio last year, Disney, caters to family-fun, bright colors, and jokes/happiness/heart! The top two movies this week features a war between babies and puppies and a musical featuring a talking teacup...I'd say the movie industry is too bright and gay! A decade ago, we had such films like Saw IV and Hostel...

I'm not saying the industry isn't well-rounded. I'm saying it shouldn't stop being well rounded just because darkness sells well.

The world's creative minds shouldn't feel forced to jump ship from wholehearted dramas, comedies, and family films, towards raunchy language-infused 'comedies' or psychological/paranormal horror concepts; these things are bad for the health of the filmgoer.

I'm seeing the effects of this trend in the critics' review scores and box office numbers. What is the majority of wide-release films have begun to hoarde the accolades and garner the success? Horror like Get Out and It, R-rated superhero flicks like Deadpool and Logan (don't deny that these have had the highest score of all recent superhero films from 2015 to now), a plague of red-band 'comedies' such as Trainwreck and Sausage Party.

Things used to be different. There used to be an even dispersion of quality between the lighter films and the darker films. And it's fine if these darker films are made, but lighter films need to offset the darker films.

My bottom line is, I just don't want every great filmmaker caving in to what's easy and catering to the darkness that's currently being spoon-fed to people.

The only thing that'll convince me that everything is fine is if The Mummy is a hardcore flop.

And I'm sorry for ranting.

• Like 1

• Community Manager
1 minute ago, slambros said:

I'm not saying the industry isn't well-rounded. I'm saying it shouldn't stop being well rounded just because darkness sells well.

The world's creative minds shouldn't feel forced to jump ship from wholehearted dramas, comedies, and family films, towards raunchy language-infused 'comedies' or psychological/paranormal horror concepts; these things are bad for the health of the filmgoer.

I'm seeing the effects of this trend in the critics' review scores and box office numbers. What is the majority of wide-release films have begun to hoarde the accolades and garner the success? Horror like Get Out and It, R-rated superhero flicks like Deadpool and Logan (don't deny that these have had the highest score of all recent superhero films from 2015 to now), a plague of red-band 'comedies' such as Trainwreck and Sausage Party.

Things used to be different. There used to be an even dispersion of quality between the lighter films and the darker films. And it's fine if these darker films are made, but lighter films need to offset the darker films.

My bottom line is, I just don't want every great filmmaker caving in to what's easy and catering to the darkness that's currently being spoon-fed to people.

The only thing that'll convince me that everything is fine is if The Mummy is a hardcore flop.

Wow. Only dark films are finding huge critical success now?

Damn. And here i was thinking the Lego Batman movie was light family fun. I guess Moana was dark as hell as well since the reviews for that were glowing. I guess Dr. Strange was also dark and brooding.

• Like 8

2 minutes ago, slambros said:

Filmmakers don't really cater to anyone but themselves and their own tastes. A producer or studio exec might want to capitalize on what they think is a trend -- in which case they'll simply hire talent that already focuses on whatever theme or trend they're targeting.

Of all movies, why would THE MUMMY be so definitive for you?

• Like 5

1 minute ago, slambros said:

In term of accolade and success, uplifting fun movie like Hidden Figures, Guardian of the galaxy, Zootopia, La la land, finding dory, Kubo, Moana, Beauty and the beast, Force Awaken still often do very well.

• Like 5

18 hours ago, baumer said:

Started reading the book again.

Yep, the film makers are going to have their work cut out for them....hope they can breathe life into the characters the way King did.

I will do the same this week :sparta:

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, slambros said:

Darkness tends to do the opposite. I'm not seeing the trend your'e seeing. Sure, Deadpool and Logan have done very well as rated-R super-heroes, but the brighter and less violent heroes have had the most success of late. The widest mass appeal horror movies might best be represented by the Conjuring series, and much more violent and darker films make a small fraction compared to that series.

16 minutes ago, slambros said:

The vast majority of the major hits are wholehearted dramas,comedies, and family films. Disney has been breaking records with that.

17 minutes ago, slambros said:

Deadpool did worse than Captain America: Civil War. Due to their content, Deadpool and Suicide Squad lost China, and those both made less money than BvS. Horror has almost always been rated R and violent, overt-nudity, and  displaying the vices of the world. Modern horrors like the Conjuring and PG-13 Lights Out which were both huge successes last year made sure to emphasize family and heart. Sausage Party didn't make 100m; Trolls and Kung Fu Panda 3 and Boss Baby this year will. In the 80s, most comedies were filled with R-rated material. Try watching Tom Hanks in Bachelor Party. Trainwreck and Sausage Party are lame in comparison.

22 minutes ago, slambros said:

I don't know how old you are, but having grown up in the 80s, I have no idea what you're talking about. For me, Hollywood lost its edge 30 years ago and just a select few films come even close to the shadow of what some movies have done in the past. It 2017 or Mummy 2017? There's nothing in these films that come close to the horrors of narcotics addiction of 1990s drama Trainspotting, lol...

The popularity of Pixar and Marvel will assure bright and colorful fun. Fox might be targeting rated R because many of their properties fits that better (Aliens/Predators born that way in the 70s/80s) and they can't match the Disney's family-fun material. Disney's BatB after its 3rd weekend has already made more than Deadpool's full run...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Water Bottle said:

Wow. Only dark films are finding huge critical success now?

Damn. And here i was thinking the Lego Batman movie was light family fun. I guess Moana was dark as hell as well since the reviews for that were glowing. I guess Dr. Strange was also dark and brooding.

By no means am I saying dark movies are the only movies getting critical success. I'm just saying that dark movies shouldn't be hogging all of the true filmmaking talent and hogging all of the critical acclaim. I'm grateful for Lego Batman, but I want stuff like Nine Lives and Norm of the North to be written and made with the same care and creativity as Get Out and It. There's no reason why it shouldn't be the case.

3 hours ago, Telerian said:

Of all movies, why would THE MUMMY be so definitive for you?

The Mummy is a reboot of the first three Mummy films, films which were accessible to everyone. Now, this reboot is devoid of humor according to the first teaser, and showcases a dark color palette and disturbing images (did you see the one girl's eye thing?!?!). Surely, the filmmakers didn't deviate from the source material so drastically for no reason at all, so if audiences want no part of such a downturn, then I'll be happy.

3 hours ago, Barnack said:

In term of accolade and success, uplifting fun movie like Hidden Figures, Guardian of the galaxy, Zootopia, La la land, finding dory, Kubo, Moana, Beauty and the beast, Force Awaken still often do very well.

3 hours ago, UrosepsisFace said:

Darkness tends to do the opposite. I'm not seeing the trend your'e seeing. Sure, Deadpool and Logan have done very well as rated-R super-heroes, but the brighter and less violent heroes have had the most success of late. The widest mass appeal horror movies might best be represented by the Conjuring series, and much more violent and darker films make a small fraction compared to that series.

The vast majority of the major hits are wholehearted dramas,comedies, and family films. Disney has been breaking records with that.

Deadpool did worse than Captain America: Civil War. Due to their content, Deadpool and Suicide Squad lost China, and those both made less money than BvS. Horror has almost always been rated R and violent, overt-nudity, and  displaying the vices of the world. Modern horrors like the Conjuring and PG-13 Lights Out which were both huge successes last year made sure to emphasize family and heart. Sausage Party didn't make 100m; Trolls and Kung Fu Panda 3 and Boss Baby this year will. In the 80s, most comedies were filled with R-rated material. Try watching Tom Hanks in Bachelor Party. Trainwreck and Sausage Party are lame in comparison.

I don't know how old you are, but having grown up in the 80s, I have no idea what you're talking about. For me, Hollywood lost its edge 30 years ago and just a select few films come even close to the shadow of what some movies have done in the past. It 2017 or Mummy 2017? There's nothing in these films that come close to the horrors of narcotics addiction of 1990s drama Trainspotting, lol...

The popularity of Pixar and Marvel will assure bright and colorful fun. Fox might be targeting rated R because many of their properties fits that better (Aliens/Predators born that way in the 70s/80s) and they can't match the Disney's family-fun material. Disney's BatB after its 3rd weekend has already made more than Deadpool's full run...

These are all good things that really put me at ease... But I still don't want darkness to take over cinema as a whole. Thankfully, no many other people do either.

Maybe this rant was unwarranted. But I do still stand for a proper balance.

(I'm pretty young by the way. Not twenty yet.)

Edited by slambros
  • Like 1

• Community Manager
1 hour ago, slambros said:

By no means am I saying dark movies are the only movies getting critical success. I'm just saying that dark movies shouldn't be hogging all of the true filmmaking talent and hogging all of the critical acclaim. I'm grateful for Lego Batman, but I want stuff like Nine Lives and Norm of the North to be written and made with the same care and creativity as Get Out and It. There's no reason why it shouldn't be the case.

Well stuff like Nine Lives and Norm of the North ARE written with the same care/creativity as Get Out/It. Not those two specifically, but a lot of very talented filmmakers do make lighter fare. There's a lot of good and bad light films just like there's a lot of good and bad dark films. ;)

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Water Bottle said:

Well stuff like Nine Lives and Norm of the North ARE written with the same care/creativity as Get Out/It. Not those two specifically, but a lot of very talented filmmakers do make lighter fare. There's a lot of good and bad light films just like there's a lot of good and bad dark films. ;)

I just don't want that to change, is all.

Holy cow! That was one creepy and, dare I say, frightening trailer. I didn't know what trailer I was watching and it looked like some typical kid film at the beginning and then bam! This trailer is going to scare audiences like no other this year, especially given the numerous scary clown sightings last year. Kudos to the marketing and editing team for a masterful job with that trailer.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, slambros said:

Oh, that old chestnut? And let me guess, violent video games make people murderers, right? Please. You're literally telling your entire fellow human race what they can and can't go see. Delusion much?

Garnering success? BATB is the highest grossing film of 2017, by a very wide margin. Wow, what a violent and "darkness filled" horror film.

You can bitch about adult films getting better reviews all you want, the fact is films that deal with real issues and are not artistically limited by family ratings are almost always going to be superior films.

Edited by PDC1987
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, slambros said:

The Mummy is a reboot of the first three Mummy films, films which were accessible to everyone. Now, this reboot is devoid of humor according to the first teaser, and showcases a dark color palette and disturbing images (did you see the one girl's eye thing?!?!). Surely, the filmmakers didn't deviate from the source material so drastically for no reason at all, so if audiences want no part of such a downturn, then I'll be happy.

Universal's classic monsters do not originate in 1999.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, slambros said:

By the way I get what you are saying (people wanting all superheroes to be dark and gritty or considering them automatically has the best is a bit misleading, let the kids have their movies, most movie are R-rated and for adults), but the Mummy films is one of the oldest cinematic franchise, with tens of entry and is root are in Boris Karloff pre-code horror genre:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Mummy_(1932_film)

Not really on the comedy side. Disney Indiana Jones reboot will probably be more like the 90's Mummy reboot.

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 1

On 3/30/2017 at 11:11 AM, Hiccup21 said:

Trailer View Count - 24 hours since launch

Facebook- 85.3 million views (+19.8 million) 

Youtube Sites

Warner Brothers - 10.4 million (+3.8 million)

Kino-Check International- 3.9 million (+1.9 million)

MovieClip Trailers- 978k (+213k)

Entertainment Access- 971k (+589k)

New Trailer Buzz- 517k (+170k)

FilmSelect Trailer- 692k (+299k)

One Media- 433K (+163k)

IGN- 328K (+115k)

Twitter- 137k likes and 108k retweets

Trailer View Count 

Facebook- 114.3 million views

Youtube Sites

Warner Brothers - 21.0 million 

Kino-Check International- 7.5 million