Neo

It | Sept. 8, 2017 | Warner Brothers | Andy Muschietti directing. Trailer on Page 12 NO SPOILER DISCUSSION. Certified Fresh on Rotten Tomatoes

20 minutes ago, Stutterng baumer Denbrough said:

I think you guys are getting really carried away now. In my opinion there is not a chance in the world this will open to 100 million. When is the last original film to open to 100 million? It's incredibly difficult for any film that isn't part of a property to open up to those kinds of figures.

I wouldn't call it an original movie. It's part of something that's known. Get Out was original.

• Like 1

You guys do realize this is first and foremost a horror movie. Now I thought I was going overboard by saying it would open to around 70. But a hundred million for a Stephen King book and a horror movie is just kind of insane in my opinion

• Like 1

No guts not glory. I'm going with 80mil now. Now that doesn't mean I'll be disappointed with a 50 to 60 million opening because I would be very happy with that opening. I would like to say that it's interesting someone brings up Wonder Woman because I had the same thought. That silly 65 million tracking meant nothing. Is 100 million opening possible? Was American Sniper's opening weekend in the deadzone known as January possible? Was Deadpool's massive opening in February possible? Anything is Possible.

• Like 6

35 minutes ago, Stutterng baumer Denbrough said:

Not anymore than any book is.

Book and mini-series.   You might not like the mini-series, but there are plenty of fans of it.  

36 minutes ago, Stutterng baumer Denbrough said:

You guys do realize this is first and foremost a horror movie. 

Exactly!  It is first and foremost a horror movie and yet you think it can do between 3-3.5x!  How many horror movies have done that after opening to more than $50m?

I think it has a better chance of opening to $100m than it does legging it out to 3x after a $70m opening.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Boner Omega said:

Book and mini-series.   You might not like the mini-series, but there are plenty of fans of it.  

Exactly!  It is first and foremost a horror movie and yet you think it can do between 3-3.5x!  How many horror movies have done that after opening to more than $50m?

I think it has a better chance of opening to $100m than it does legging it out to 3x after a $70m opening.

Fair enough.  You're right.  I guess it is an existing property.

And I already said it would have to buck the trend and against all odds, do something that a horror film hasn't done before.

But what is your feeling on this?  Do you think it has a chance to open to 100M?

I just can't believe that we're even talking about an $100m OW being possible for a HORROR movie, especially when we consider where the genre was two years ago, this is insane. I just want to see that PA3 going down, anything above this is madness.

I'm gonna start reading the book next week, I hope I'll finish it before the movie release.

3 hours ago, Mockingjay Raphael said:

I just can't believe that we're even talking about an $100m OW being possible for a HORROR movie, especially when we consider where the genre was two years ago, this is insane. I just want to see that PA3 going down, anything above this is madness.

I'm gonna start reading the book next week, I hope I'll finish it before the movie release.

You better be prepared to want to read it at every moment you can spare.  It'll grab hold of you.  You might be in the "bathroom" for quite a while.  :sparta:

26 minutes ago, Stutterng baumer Denbrough said:

Fair enough.  You're right.  I guess it is an existing property.

And I already said it would have to buck the trend and against all odds, do something that a horror film hasn't done before.

But what is your feeling on this?  Do you think it has a chance to open to 100M?

No, I'm not on the $100m train yet, but I think that everything is pointing to a monster opening.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Stutterng baumer Denbrough said:

But when it was first announced we were just hoping for a 25 million dollar opening weekend.

You were hoping 😉 This always had the nostalgia factor. It was going to be huge from the beginning.

1 hour ago, Stutterng baumer Denbrough said:

Not anymore than any book is.

Quite a bit more, not only it is a book with a long history of adaptation, but the evil clown trope is also a strong already established american meme (a bit like a giant ape movie is)

A classic Stephen King is not any book either in the state (it is not A Girl on a train or Life of Pi level either, but above the any book level).

It should play much more like a franchise entry than an original movie.

Has for what is the last original movie to open at 100m, never happened I think.

American Sniper is the closest thing: $89,269,066m but the hero and the book it was based on were really popular and was not really an original movie and used a platform release to build momentum before the wide release.

I am legend could be a good comparable (a book but not that much of a big deal), did 77m ow in 2007, that how big Will Smith was. (90m in today dollar)

Avatar is the biggest truly in all the sense original movie first weekend, it did 77m in 2009 (87m today), for a december release during a snowstorm limiting some region performance that would be close to the equivalent of 100m today in the summer I imagine.

Edited by Barnack

41 minutes ago, Barnack said:

Quite a bit more, not only it is a book with a long history of adaptation, but the evil clown trope is also a strong already established american meme (a bit like a giant ape movie is)

A classic Stephen King is not any book either in the state (it is not A Girl on a train or Life of Pi level either, but above the any book level).

It should play much more like a franchise entry than an original movie.

Has for what is the last original movie to open at 100m, never happened I think.

American Sniper is the closest thing: $89,269,066m but the hero and the book it was based on were really popular and was not really an original movie and used a platform release to build momentum before the wide release.

I am legend could be a good comparable (a book but not that much of a big deal), did 77m ow in 2007, that how big Will Smith was. (90m in today dollar)

Avatar is the biggest truly in all the sense original movie first weekend, it did 77m in 2009 (87m today), for a december release during a snowstorm limiting some region performance that would be close to the equivalent of 100m today in the summer I imagine.

If we're including animation, The Secret Life of Pets holds this record with its $104 million opening. 

2 minutes ago, Sterling said:

If we're including animation, The Secret Life of Pets holds this record with its $104 million opening. 

True the giant budget colorful animation genre is such a big the draw in itself (a bit like MCU brand) and can open original story/concept really high, I just tend to remove it by how much different the genre is currently on that aspect.

Horror Movie Opening Weekends:

$70M +

I Am Legend $77,200,000

$60M +
World War Z $66,400,000

Signs $60,100,000

$50M +

Hannibal $58,000,000
Paranormal Activity 3 $52,600,000
The Village $50,700,000

$40M +

The Conjuring $41,900,000
Shutter Island $41,000,000
Paranormal Activity 2 $40,700,000
Friday the 13th $40,600,000
The Conjuring 2 $40,400,000
Insidious Chapter 2 $40,300,000
Cloverfield $40,000,000
Split $40,000,000

$30M +

The Grudge $39,100,000
AVP $38,300,000
Annabelle $37,100,000
Red Dragon $36,500,000
Freddy vs Jason $36,400,000
Interview with the Vampire $36,400,000
Alien Covenant $36,100,000
The Ring Two $35,000,000
Annabelle Creation $35,000,000
Scream 3 $34,700,000
The Purge $34,000,000
The Devil Inside $33,700,000
Saw 3 $33,600,000
The Haunting $33,400,000
Scream 2 $32,900,000
A Nightmare on Elm Street $32,900,000
Saw 4 $31,800,000
Saw 2 $31,700,000
The Purge 3 $31,500,000
The Wolfman $31,400,000
Bram Stoker's Dracula $30,500,000
The Happening $30,500,000
Sleepy Hollow $30,000,000
The Exorcism of Emily Rose $30,000,000
Saw 5 $30,000,000

Edited by Krissykins
  • Like 2

Just a reminder that only 14 horror films have ever opened over $40m.

$40M is still a big deal for horror.

People need to be reasonable here. IT is an R rated horror film about an evil entity dressed as a clown killing children.

Not everyone likes to be scared either, lol. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Harley said:

You were hoping 😉 This always had the nostalgia factor. It was going to be huge from the beginning.

No it wasn't.  This was never going to be any bigger than a mid level horror film AT THE BEGINNING.  The trailer views is what got us crazy.