Neo

It | Sept. 8, 2017 | Warner Brothers | Andy Muschietti directing. Trailer on Page 12 NO SPOILER DISCUSSION. Certified Fresh on Rotten Tomatoes

• Community Manager

@Stutterng baumer Denbrough

I think I might be able to make it to the opening of a art exhibit on IT.

Hype for this movie is really high. 

I really think this will be a huge hit. Like $200 million DOM big. This seems to be hitting the sweet spot.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Water Bottle said:

@Stutterng baumer Denbrough

I think I might be able to make it to the opening of a art exhibit on IT.

Hype for this movie is really high. 

I really think this will be a huge hit. Like $200 million DOM big. This seems to be hitting the sweet spot.

I don't think it'll hit the heights of American Sniper either in OW or domestic but a $60-75m OW wouldn't surprise me. I thought it could do $55-60m which would still be a September record breaker but it look like it's going to more than that.

WB, never know, could be the week of release even with greats reviews (MadMax, Wonder Woman were both less than 48 hours before the first market opened I think), with that studio dangerous to read anything about embargo date.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, slambros said:

I'm beginning to change my mind about Warner Bros. I thought that they became like a bad company after those DCEU misfires they released, they've really been making up for it. Good for them!

WB was never a bad company and every studios has misfires. I'm sure Sony and Paramount would love to be WB's position. 

• Like 6

25 minutes ago, slambros said:

I'm beginning to change my mind about Warner Bros. I thought that they became like a bad company after those DCEU misfires they released, they've really been making up for it. Good for them!

WB is one of the most successful studios last 20 years. And, "bad company" sounds very strange in this case.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Barnack said:

WB, never know, could be the week of release even with greats reviews (MadMax, Wonder Woman were both less than 48 hours before the first market opened I think), with that studio dangerous to read anything about embargo date.

It is basically impossible to read anything into their late embargos. Anyway, I'm feeling good about IT's reviews. I think it's going to review well for a horror movie.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

It is basically impossible to read anything into their late embargos. Anyway, I'm feeling good about IT's reviews. I think it's going to review well for a horror movie.

The only time you can is when the embargo is Thursday evening like it was with The House. Reviews are part of WBs final marketing plan which is why their movie embargos lift the week of release. Final marketing is "Look at this trailer + critic quotes"

• Like 3

1 hour ago, slambros said:

See @WeneedtotalkaboutKevin, take notes: THIS is how you get rid of your Warner hate boner.

• Like 4

Just now, That One Guy said:

See @WeneedtotalkaboutKevin, take notes: THIS is how you get rid of your Warner hate boner.

Then he wouldn't be WeneedtotalkaboutKevin if he didn't hate WB and stanning against Wonder Woman and Dunkirk made them more successful! 

5 minutes ago, grim22 said:

The only time you can is when the embargo is Thursday evening like it was with The House. Reviews are part of WBs final marketing plan which is why their movie embargos lift the week of release. Final marketing is "Look at this trailer + critic quotes"

Releasing the embargo early can backfire as was the case with War for the Planet of the Apes. 

5 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

Releasing the embargo early can backfire as was the case with War for the Planet of the Apes. 

True, I think I mentioned this in one of the weekend threads, the smart play is to keep building the hype. Final trailer 5-6 weeks from release, start releasing final posters the week after that, tv spots roll out with 3 weeks to go, then critic screenings with pictures of said screening allowed  but no reactions, social media embargo lift 2 weeks before release and finally review embargo lift the week of release. Each phase feeds into the next and starts a buildup of hype all the way to release.

With Apes, the final reviews came in too early, I think more than 2 weeks before release. The final push could not be sustained due to the reviews being lost among the SMH reviews and OW buzz and then the reviews not being as fresh (in terms of time) for building the public buzz.

• Like 6