Neo

Mortal Kombat | April 23 2021 | Warner Bros. | James Wan producing

It boggles my mind that streaming numbers for these movies aren't at least three times larger on OW. Unlike Netflix, HBO Max actually ensures every subscriber is aware of the movies debuting there. Unless I'm forgetting something...is SAMBA TV only for certain households? 

Edited by tonytr87

15 minutes ago, tonytr87 said:

It boggles my mind that streaming numbers for these movies aren't at least three times larger on OW. Unlike Netflix, HBO Max actually ensures every subscriber is aware of the movies debuting there. Unless I'm forgetting something...is SAMBA TV only for certain households? 

• Like 1

I've been absent from the boards awhile. No movies to attend in person I just drifted away. Movies, in the theater, are coming back and last weekend so did I. 

I'm not remotely a Gamer. Haven't owned a console in 20yrs, but I did grow up in the age of Mortal Kombat so when a friend asked if the wife would let me go I wasn't letting the movie selection stop me if the wife wasn't. 

Grade: B

I thoroughly enjoyed myself. Solid action scenes which is what I expected at the very least. A coherent and competent enough plot made for things to come together well. 

My next for certain film in the theater will be Black Widow. Not sure about till then but I've got that film locked down.

As an aside I think the Covid rule of 3 empty seats between parties should stick around! Hahaha!!

Didn't care much for this movie, but the best part is that this adds to Taslim's relatively successful Hollywood career. He had a great supporting role in F&F 6 and in Warrior, and now he's in a successful video game movie playing an iconic character. Really hoping he becomes what Iko Uwais didn't really manage to (Uwais really deserved better roles in better movies).

• Like 1

6 hours ago, lorddemaxus said:

Didn't care much for this movie, but the best part is that this adds to Taslim's relatively successful Hollywood career. He had a great supporting role in F&F 6 and in Warrior, and now he's in a successful video game movie playing an iconic character. Really hoping he becomes what Iko Uwais didn't really manage to (Uwais really deserved better roles in better movies).

Weird thing about Iko is he's still young enough to get big roles in Hollywood, but either he chooses not to or...I don't know. Speaking of, why wasn't he cast in this movie? 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, tonytr87 said:

Weird thing about Iko is he's still young enough to get big roles in Hollywood, but either he chooses not to or...I don't know. Speaking of, why wasn't he cast in this movie? 

His english is very limited; similar to Tony Jaa. They also seem to be not picky about scripts; and it seems that once Hollywood knows that - they offer them small roles / roles with limited dialogue or screentime everytime. Does not help that they are are willing to take roles that only allow then to appear for mere minutes without proper dialogue.. just for the exposure. People get typecast easily...

On the opposite end; we see people like Donnie Yen (Rogue One / Mulan / xXx 3) and Daniel Wu (Tomb Raider / Into the Badlands) who are known in Asia to be very strict with their script selection and do lots of behind-the-scenes work like producing / directing; now these 2 in terms of HLW movie counts may not be a lot as they are picky and known to turndown roles - but it seems they are always at least 2nd / 3rd billing in HLW films they appear in. Also helps that Donnie and Daniel both speak perfect english.

Edited by TigerPaw

I just HBO Maxed it...I agree with a lot of the criticisms...a little underwhelming. Sub-Zero was awesome though. 

One thing that bugs me in movies...a guy will get cast, and he has a deep foreign accent. The guy that played Kano is Australian or South African? If you got a deep accent, talk SLOWER 🙂.  He's firing off lines and destroying it with that accent, and you're like, what did he say? 

Oh well, on to Wonder Woman 1984. 150 minutes, whoa...

9 hours ago, OdinSon2k14 said:

I just HBO Maxed it...I agree with a lot of the criticisms...a little underwhelming. Sub-Zero was awesome though. 

One thing that bugs me in movies...a guy will get cast, and he has a deep foreign accent. The guy that played Kano is Australian or South African? If you got a deep accent, talk SLOWER 🙂.  He's firing off lines and destroying it with that accent, and you're like, what did he say? 

Oh well, on to Wonder Woman 1984. 150 minutes, whoa...

WW84 isn't even on HBO Max currently. 

• Haha 1

I thought this was a let down. 

Some of the acting is really unacceptable, especially from Liu Kang and Raiden. 

The lead is a wet blanket, he slows things down and should’ve been replaced with Johnny Cage. Some nice moments and fatalities, Sonya and Jax are likeable, Kano gets some laughs. The opening is fantastic. Not enough use of the music.

2/5 

12 hours ago, Krissykins said:

I thought this was a let down. 

Some of the acting is really unacceptable, especially from Liu Kang and Raiden. 

The lead is a wet blanket, he slows things down and should’ve been replaced with Johnny Cage. Some nice moments and fatalities, Sonya and Jax are likeable, Kano gets some laughs. The opening is fantastic. Not enough use of the music.

2/5 

I thought Kang was fine. He did what he was asked which is play him as a solemn monk, but Chin Han was terrible as Shang Tsung. And ditto Raiden. The Sonya girl wasn't great either. Most of them sounded like DTV performers. 

Honestly I thought Liu Kang’s actor was the best performance in the movie. Doesn’t really say much considering how terrible everybody else was, even for what is supposed to be a B movie tribute

On 5/5/2021 at 1:43 PM, poweranimals said:

WW84 isn't even on HBO Max currently. 

Really? Well, that's out the way, I can go right to Justice League Director's cut 🙂. Have to make that a two-parter, there's no way I can sit through a 4-hour film. I saw that new Christopher Nolan movie on there too. It looks like a movie with an abundance of twist and turns, which I'm not fond of ("twists"), but I'll check it out.