Neo

Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets | July 21, 2017 | FLOP OF THE YEAR

24 minutes ago, Arlborn said:

I was waiting for that comparison to arrive. Every single sci-fi set in the space not called Star Trek/Wars is going to have thrown that at them I suppose. It's a bit of an obvious observation, really.

Audiences don't flock to the campy space opera so willingly anymore. Anything that's not Star Wars/Trek comes off as ripping off Star Wars/Trek. This looks a very similar situation to Stanton with John Carter where a director with an ego and blank check thinks the material he's been a fan of for so long is a lot more relevant today than it really is

Edited by tribefan695
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, Arlborn said:

I was waiting for that comparison to arrive. Every single sci-fi set in the space not called Star Trek/Wars is going to have thrown that at them I suppose. It's a bit of an obvious observation, really.

Oh well, I really enjoyed Jupiter Ascending and I'm sure I'll really enjoy this one too! It already looks better visually at least! Some scenes looked incredible.

the comparison doesn't come from the fact it's set outside earth...

Edited by Goffe

25 minutes ago, Arlborn said:

Oh well, I really enjoyed Jupiter Ascending and I'm sure I'll really enjoy this one too! It already looks better visually at least! Some scenes looked incredible.

exactly, people are being locked into the SW relatively regressive visual style (not that I don't appreciate solid practical effects) and anything stylistically more imaginative is automatically unacceptable,  but I want Sci-fi worlds to be as imaginative and as futuristic as possible, there is not a single visual elements from TFA that pops into my mind now, I hope this movie, however, can blow my mind.

Holy shit...the aliens and stuff look amaze balls...the acting looks iffy...but i have a feeling this will be a very fun popcorn sci-fi action adventure fantasy movie.

Something that IDR failed to deliver.

As far as boxoffice is concerned, I am still not sure it will do well. It has to make bulk of its money overseas. France has to deliver big time.

Edited by marveldcfox
  • Like 1

You know, whith the title, I always thought the album they tried to adapt was "L’Empire des mille planètes" ... going by the trailer and Besson's description, it will be far more from "L'Ambassadeur des Ombres". Both are rather colourful adventures, but with completely different settings and plots and atmosphere, so I don't see a mashup - curious how it'll turn out, maybe an original plot in the established setting?