Neo

Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets | July 21, 2017 | FLOP OF THE YEAR

I think he works better in smaller/weirder movies. I recently saw The place beyond the pines and he was good in it.   For the blockbusters you need charisma/to own the screen. I'm not gonna write him off yet. I think he looks good in the trailers for Valerian

Edited by Alli
  • Like 2

I actually liked Dane DeHaan in The Place Beyond the Pines as well (never saw Chronicle) but he's never struck me as the "dashing hero" type. We'll see if he avoids fading into obscurity like failed leading men before him such as Taylor Kitsch and Ryan Phillippe after the star-of-Hollywood-flops phase of his career is over.

6 minutes ago, filmlover said:

I actually liked Dane DeHaan in The Place Beyond the Pines as well (never saw Chronicle) but he's never struck me as the "dashing hero" type. We'll see if he avoids fading into obscurity like failed leading men before him such as Taylor Kitsch and Ryan Phillippe after the star-of-Hollywood-flops phase of his career is over.

Kitsch and Philippe are bland hunks, DeHaan has a weirder, more memorable look and vibe that he can always build a character-actor career on if he hooks up with the right people. 

I wonder if Laureline in the movie has the same origin from the comics. It's a bit absurd. I just finished reading the first issues, that were released here this year, and I liked it. Can't wait to get the rest of the series. No wonder Luc Besson is so passionate about it, I can only imagine how exciting these comics were for kids in late 60s.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, CoolioD1 said:

mmmmmmm

"Talking to Luc Besson yesterday, he said both Peter Jackson and James Cameron sent him notes after seeing "Valerian." They adored it."

Just one more reason why those are my two favorite directors. ;)

You know another problem with this movie is the title. They should have just called it "Valerian & Lauraline". Simple and beautiful. It gets across the point that those are the names of the lead characters. Also, it is good marketing ploy i.e appealing to male and female demographics. I cannot believe Luc and the thousand distributors didn't think of that.

"Valerian and the city of a thousand planets" is a mouthful and too cumbersome. 

Edited by marveldcfox
  • Like 2

36 minutes ago, marveldcfox said:

You know another problem with this movie is the title. They should have just called it "Valerian & Lauraline". Simple and beautiful. It gets across the point that those are the names of the lead characters. Also, it is good marketing ploy i.e appealing to male and female demographics. I cannot believe Luc and the thousand distributors didn't think of that.

Is Valerian the name of the person or the city of thousand planets?

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, AJG said:

Is Valerian the name of the person or the city of thousand planets?

Valerian is Dane DeHaan's character because I'm pretty sure Clive Owen refers to him as Agent Valerian

1 hour ago, marveldcfox said:

On the list of problems the title is, like, #25

Thanks. When I read the Wikipedia article about this comic/property they wrote in a way that I thought the original title was "Valerian & Laureline" and I was not happy about the film title dropping the female character.

But I see I was wrong.