Neo

Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets | July 21, 2017 | FLOP OF THE YEAR

19 minutes ago, NCsoft said:

I'm rooting for it but I feel it's just unlikely for this to break out at this point, I hope for good numbers in France and China.

it will be lucky to do better than John Carter domestically, should have casted more well names in supporting roles

Edited by Ryan Reynolds

Just saw it. Wow, that was quite an experience. I felt like I was watching the movie high, but I wasn't. The visuals, jesus fucking christ, are absolutely insane. Forget the trailers on your small screens, this DESERVES TO BE SEEN ON THE BIGGEST SCREEN EVER. I could rant for days about how colorful this movie was. Absolutely gorgeous. You can definitely tell where the budget went into. The use of color was pretty fascinating to watch. SO MUCH MY EYES ARE AMAZED. I sound kind of hyperbolic here, but the visuals are well worth at least a watch.

As for the story... It was kind of okay. Delevingne was excellent and DeHaan was good as well, they were pretty much a team and both had their quirks. But I felt like the story fell flat, especially in the third act when it suddenly decided to start to dump info on you. Had a good time though, and I'm glad to see space operas are still around. Never read Valerian btw, maybe I'm missing something extra. 

I'm still not sure how this will do against Dunkirk (which I'm also seeing soon btw). Won't be surprised if Dunkirk does like 45m OW and this does like 30-35m OW. 

• Like 24

Just now, BoxOfficeZ said:

Just saw it. Wow, that was quite an experience. I felt like I was watching the movie high, but I wasn't. The visuals, jesus fucking christ, are absolutely insane. Forget the trailers on your small screens, this DESERVES TO BE SEEN ON THE BIGGEST SCREEN EVER. I could rant for days about how colorful this movie was. Absolutely gorgeous. You can definitely tell where the budget went into. The use of color was pretty fascinating to watch. SO MUCH MY EYES ARE AMAZED. I sound kind of hyperbolic here, but the visuals are well worth at least a watch.

As for the story... It was kind of okay. Delevingne was excellent and DeHaan was good as well, they were pretty much a team and both had their quirks. But I felt like the story fell flat, especially in the third act when it suddenly decided to start to dump info on you. Had a good time though, and I'm glad to see space operas are still around. Never read Valerian btw, maybe I'm missing something extra. 

I'm still not sure how this will do against Dunkirk (which I'm also seeing soon btw). Won't be surprised if Dunkirk does like 45m OW and this does like 30-35m OW. 

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

HOLY SHIT IT'S HAPPENING.

41 minutes ago, NCsoft said:

Liking these reactions so far, I never expected wide spread acclaim or anything, that'll be boring, but this at least confirms a visual masterpiece and entertainment values, so must see for me.

Except for that reaction that knocks Avatar for no reason, did not like that one.

I have always known it.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, BoxOfficeZ said:

Visually, how it compares with Doctor Strange, GOTG 1&2? Can it be called the most visually good-looking blockbuster since Avatar?

Edited by firedeep

11 minutes ago, Eevin said:

How popular is Valerian OS? Seems like it's more of a known entity than here, but I can't imagine it doing that much more than Tintin numbers. $300m maybe.

The source material doesn't matter much. It's about the DOM/OS box office split. If it can gets 100m DOM, surely it will get 400m OS, as it looks like an OS heavy blockbuster like the recent Fast8, XXX, Resident Evil 5, Mummy, Pirates 5, TF 5 (these all had 80%+ OS ratio.)

Edited by firedeep

sounds like it would be wayy more exciting than Ghost in the Shell in IMAX except it is opening against a film made for IMAX.  Maybe push Valerian to early August?  Or is Dunkirk taking up IMAX on a 10 week contract?

Edited by Matrix4You

Hmm. I am still trying to understand why people think that Dunkirk is going to kill this. Is Nolan a big enough name to compel audiences to prefer what (to me) looks like a drab, dull film about some historical event that nobody’s ever heard of over a film that (to me) looks like precisely the kind of colorful, vibrant, escapist big-scale fantasy spectacle that summer audiences flock to? I just don’t see anything in Dunkirk that appeals to me even one bit. Of course, I know that means nothing, and I know Nolan is a potent brand, but damn...

A crazy , campy space opera starring Dane DeHaan beating a dark Christopher Nolan movie about WWII will be the greatest thing to happen at the Box Office this year.

Edited by TLK

1 hour ago, Matrix4You said:

sounds like it would be wayy more exciting than Ghost in the Shell in IMAX except it is opening against a film made for IMAX.  Maybe push Valerian to early August?  Or is Dunkirk taking up IMAX on a 10 week contract?

Indeed it is.

• Like 1

This one is more interesting to me than Dunkirk. The visuals for this is what sells it. Sounds like the movie falls apart a bit in the third act so will that stop people from spending their hard earned cash on it? 

Dunkirk looks like another run of the mill war movie except it has Harry Styles. He could be a factor. I'm not sure if being an non American story will hurt it domestically. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Harley said:

This one is more interesting to me than Dunkirk. The visuals for this is what sells it. Sounds like the movie falls apart a bit in the third act so will that stop people from spending their hard earned cash on it? 

For some people (not for me), Wonder Woman falls apart in the third act, but that did not stop audiences from spending over 660 million dollars on it. :D The average moviegoer, especially during the summer, wants to be entertained, and does not give a shit about three-act structure, methinks. I am truly rooting for Valerian to break out.

5 hours ago, Cochofles said:

Hmm. I am still trying to understand why people think that Dunkirk is going to kill this. Is Nolan a big enough name to compel audiences to prefer what (to me) looks like a drab, dull film about some historical event that nobody’s ever heard of over a film that (to me) looks like precisely the kind of colorful, vibrant, escapist big-scale fantasy spectacle that summer audiences flock to? I just don’t see anything in Dunkirk that appeals to me even one bit. Of course, I know that means nothing, and I know Nolan is a potent brand, but damn...

As visually appealing it looks, there are some who are turned off by hard sci-fi which inherently limits its potential audience. 

Regarding Dunkirk, not knowing about it is a failure of the education system...and relative. I'm sure several more are aware of it in Europe just like Valerian might be a known property in France or what not. But I don't think Dunkirk itself is killing Valerian, but if it fails it's more likely to be self inflicted. From concept to release, Valerian is a tough sell

Edited by MrPink
  • Like 2

If this is great too, 2017 could easily go down as the best year in CBM history. Logan, GOTG2, WW, Homecoming, Valerian. Unless, Ragnarok marketing is wildly misleading to how good it looks, it will practically be a perfect year for quality in the genre. I say practically because surely Snyder will fuck it up from being completely perfect.