A Marvel Fanboy

Assassin's Creed | 12/21/2016 | Michael Fassbender, Marion Cotillard | Final Trailer on Page 71

9 minutes ago, TimmyRiggins said:

We'll see. And about "no one can act surprised", I'm sorry,  but the third trailer got very good feedback, the 'I told you so" crowd is kind of annoying.

Dude, 95% of this forum said all of the promos looked shite. It's ok to say I told you so when it's true.

1 hour ago, RedX said:

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/films/reviews/assassins-creed-review-michael-fassbender-video-game-movie-animus-a7484781.html

LOL 

Well, I'm seeing a pattern of reviewers calling it the best video game movies have to offer. Low bar anyway. Still excited to see it tomorrow 

Let us know how it is.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, TimmyRiggins said:

We'll see. And about "no one can act surprised", I'm sorry,  but the third trailer got very good feedback, the 'I told you so" crowd is kind of annoying.

And yeah, this has been Fassbender's "baby" for a while, RedX said it best with the provided links, I don't think it's quite fair to judge most screenwriters on their credits, do you have any idea how many rewrites a script goes through? Hell, Eric Heisserer himself has shlocky credits, and yet he wrote Arrival. What I think happened here is either that there is indeed a 140 min cut somewhere from which they cut 40 min, and here goes the usual tale of exec/studio interference (which wouldn't be a first at 20th Century Fox with for example Kingdom Of Heaven, Prometheus, etc, etc), or they thought the script was in good enough shape and they legit think they have a good movie on their hands. Considering Fassbender is a producer on this, he was there in the edit room.

Or not all the elements quite came together, it is quite hard to make a good movie actually, I know some make it seem easy, but truth is, especially for actors, it's out of their hands sometimes or whatever. 

None of the trailers were getting much buzz or excitement at all.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, UTJeff said:

None of the trailers were getting much buzz or excitement at all.

I have issues with the marketing campaign too, but that's untrue to say not any of the promoted material was received with neither curiosity nor interest 

Edited by RedX

Just now, RedX said:

I have issues with the marketing campaign too, but that's untrue to say not any of the promoted material was received with either curiosity or interest 

It was never that high for this film.  Hence the tracking was only at around $20 million.

Pop culture movie, high budget, possible franchise starter? Rotten Tomato? That's not a surprise. RT is quite predictable. 

The big franchise-starter video-game movie with good reviews will be Detective Pikachu whether it's good or bad. Why? AC and WoW zealots can be ignored, but the Pokémon Legion reigns supreme. All Pokémon movies will be 70%+ on RT.

btw, i've been reading comments from people who wanted a light-hearted, straight-forward movie about buddy assassins cracking jokes at each other. Uhg, the Mickey Mouse Club will ruin cinema.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Goffe said:

how is this surprising? games are third rate movies, their stories aren't supposed to be good, and look at the filmmakers they generally attract. 

These filmmakers have done phenomenal work. Maybe Alicia can pull it off 

21 minutes ago, Elessar said:

Storrytelling has come a long way in games, there's some good stuff there, sometimes REALLY good. 

how come it seems impossible to produce a good movie based on games or attract real talent? it might have come a long way, but it's still shit as fuck.

Edited by Goffe

3 hours ago, misafeco said:

TOMATOMETER 

22%

Poor Fassbender... :(

I'd normally feel sorry for him, but he was also a producer on this. This was obviously his attempt to get his "own" franchise, and it looks like he failed miserably.