The Dark Knight Rises

230 members have voted

1. 1. Grade The Dark Knight Rises

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

It's flawed but fascinating and really, really ambitious. I seriously hope that Nolan doesn't get completely buried by piles of money thrown at his blockbusters by both studios and the public and returns to those smaller, yet smarter and more interesting projects like Memento and The Prestige as soon as possible. Four huge tentpoles in a row has got to be enough for him, at least for now.

• Like 2

My biggest problem with The Prestige was that despite the good performances I dont think any of the characters were that interesting or three dimensional imo.

Me, no matter how much I wanted to, I just never could get completely behind the

sci-fi

element. It doesn't make the movie fall apart, but it's still a clear weakness and a distraction, in my opinion. 

• Like 1

2012 was a great year for movies, but when it comes to the superhero genre, it seems as if it always comes down to The Avengers vs. The Dark Knight Rises. Well, I'm not here to argue about those two, but I will be defending the one I consider to be the greatest CBM of all-time....

Firstly, let’s address some of the biggest complaints about the movie. Ones which, you know, people are STILL bringing up in arguments over a year later (hence why I’m addressing some of them here). For example, how did Bruce Wayne get back to Gotham City after escaping the pit?

Bruce Wayne get back to Gotham City after escaping the pit? What, you don’t think travelling in poverty for all those years without a passport in Batman Begins didn’t teach him a few tricks? He couldn’t have an offshore account somewhere? There are actually perfectly reasonable explanations you could think up for this, not to mention stuff like Alfred’s whereabouts during Bane’s siege on Gotham or how Batman managed to paint his symbol on one of Gotham’s bridges. Admittedly, this could be countered with the argument that it’s up to the filmmakers to explain these sorts of plot developments, but are audiences truly so stupid that everything must be spelled out to them? We’re talking about a movie where the lead character dresses up as a Bat and fights crime. If you can accept that, you should be able to get over the fact that there was seemingly not enough time for Bruce to eject himself from The Bat before the bomb exploded. Also, we’re talking about a movie which was already over two and a half hours long. Why waste that time explaining this type of thing?! 

Oh, and those claims that the Talia reveal made Bane look weak are laughable.

Was the flashback to the prison not enough to explain why the villain would be so devoted to her? And what’s the issue with how Bane was taken out by Catwoman? Batman had been stabbed and badly beaten. Someone had to save him and we had already seen two BIG fights between the Caped Crusader and Bane. The latter being taken out in yet another would have been nothing short of tedious by that point. 

Ultimately, it’s almost difficult to put into words just how great The Dark Knight Rises is in my eyes. Like The Empire Strikes back and The Avengers, it’s just one of those movies which has that “It” factor. Whether any future Batman or superhero movies will be able to top this remains to be seen, but for time being, I don’t see anyone being able to take Christopher Nolan’s crown. 

Read more at http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/JoshWildingNewsAndReviews/news/?a=87293#speKf8fb3QoLkYUl.99 

Read more at http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/JoshWildingNewsAndReviews/news/?a=87293#speKf8fb3QoLkYUl.99 

Edited by #ED
  • Like 1