chasmmi

Which Franchises can you forgive nomatter what?

What films can you get excited for a new installment of regardless of the quality of the previous ones?

For me I can think of

Indiana JOnes

Indy is such an awesome character and the first three films are so damn good that despite the awfulness of Crystal Skull I would be first in line to see number 5. And if that was bad I think I would still get excited over a number 6.

Men In Black

Will Smith is great in this role and even though 2 showed it doesn't alway mean a great film, 1 and 3 show that when its on form it can be one of the most entertaining films of the year.

Alien

Its the ultimate Alien horror creature. A new Alien Film always has potential to be something great and even AvP were enough to make me want to see the films. Even if they arguably haven't made a classic version since Aliens meaning that the ration of good to bad could be as high as 2:5. (ALthough for me there are more than 2 films I think are good.)

So how about others. What films could let you down again and again yet you will still forgive it and go back for more when the next installment hits?

I don't know.If they were making a movie again and again with the same cast, but many times they're not.I can't say something like Harry Potter already based on a story.If a movie's trailer is great then there's always the chance I end up seeing it otherwise, no point.

The alien series. The mythology is that good! Just give a me a ship with a crew awaiting a mission and some extra-terrestrial awesomeness.

I don't think Alien could have ever recovered from Alien 4. I forgive the largely disappointing Alien 3 because it does have some redeeming qualities, but Alien 4 was the nail in the coffin. I do think Alien 3 should've been the end of Ripley's story though like it did(but in more dramatic fashion), because after 3 films it would've started to become silly and forced. The franchise could've been saved if they went in a completely different direction with Alien 4. I would've started fresh with Weylend Yutaniu sending a whole new heroine/crew and gone back to LV-426 which would have them run into some Engineers investigating their shipwreck(change it up a bit like Prometheus did) and go on from there... as far as we know the nuclear blast at the end of Aliens didn't reach the Engineer's ship. Instead we got a direct to scifi channel quality horror movie known as Alien Resurrection and a PG-13 AVP that actually tried to legitimately merge the Alien and Predator franchises followed by another cash grab once Fox realized they fucked up again. Edited by Shpongle

I don't think Alien could have ever recovered from Alien 4. I forgive the largely disappointing Alien 3 because it does have some redeeming qualities, but Alien 4 was the nail in the coffin. I do think Alien 3 should've been the end of Ripley's story though like it did(but in more dramatic fashion), because after 3 films it would've started to become silly and forced. The franchise could've been saved if they went in a completely different direction with Alien 4. I would've started fresh with Weylend Yutaniu sending a whole new heroine/crew and gone back to LV-426 which would have them run into some Engineers investigating their shipwreck(change it up a bit like Prometheus did) and go on from there... as far as we know the nuclear blast at the end of Aliens didn't reach the Engineer's ship. Instead we got a direct to scifi channel quality horror movie known as Alien Resurrection and a PG-13 AVP that actually tried to legitimately merge the Alien and Predator franchises followed by another cash grab once Fox realized they fucked up again.

I think everything you just said is absolutely correct, but I did enjoy Alien 4 more than 3 (watched them all recently) even though it should have been completely different like you said. I just hope we get a sequel to Prometheus, very badly. I loved that film!I'd welcome another Indiana Jones if they had a great story. Archaelogy inspired movies have the potential to be mind blowing.

I think everything you just said is absolutely correct, but I did enjoy Alien 4 more than 3 (watched them all recently) even though it should have been completely different like you said. I just hope we get a sequel to Prometheus, very badly. I loved that film!I'd welcome another Indiana Jones if they had a great story. Archaelogy inspired movies have the potential to be mind blowing.

Yup, I know not everyone agrees(especially the fanboy culture that the sequel ALIENS created) and I'm cool with that, but I think Scott is basically saving ALIEN by having made Prometheus. A prequel that defies canonicity in the extreme, so much so that you almost wonder if Ridley Scott was saying "Fuck you" to that culture. "I created Alien." I love ALIENS(for what it was) as much as the next guy, its one of my all time favorites, but that movie opened the door to most of the poorly thought-out shit that came after that cheapened the Alien and made it very mundane and generic.Take the last scene in the movie for an example. I think it both fits with the meta-heavy readings of the film, and it is a direct response to how the iconic Xenomorph has been portrayed following the original Alien film(ALIENS, ALIEN 3, ALIEN RESURRECTION) by Ridley Scott himself.Each character in the film got what they wanted/expected but with an ironic twist. For example, Shaw wanted to become pregnant, but she ended up impregnated with a nightmarish monster fetus. David wanted to be free from Weylend, but it came with the price of his head getting ripped off, so now he's "limited" again. Weyland wanted to literally meet his maker, but instead he "met his maker". And so on etc...Well, the built-in "fanboy" audience of the movie also got what they wanted (a direct Alien prequel/remake) but not the way they wanted it. There is a point in the film where everything almost aligns to be a direct prequel to Alien, but then that possibility is snatched away. Then for the last shot of the movie (after the screen has already faded to black) we are finally shown the iconic Alien, but its not quite right. Its weirdly underdeveloped, lacking the most famous aspects of the original design (details, the biomechanics, penis head, life-cycle). That scene is a glorious subversion of the audience's expectations.Secondly the power of the original Alien design comes from a simple fact... this is a being that should not exist in any literal or biological reality. Its a creature straight from the most perverse Freudian/Lovecraftian nightmare (actually H.R. Giger's signature style came from his real life struggles with ceaseless nightmares). Later entries in the franchise made the Xenomorph creature into a simple beast; a species of giant ants that were often treated as mere cannon fodder. But what Prometheus' final shot did was return the Xenomorph to its rightful place as a thing that SHOULD NOT EXIST. It became a perverse nightmare creature born from a barren woman's abortion in a ridiculous sequence of events that ended with the surprise sex and death of a god. The creature we see in the final shot of the film is no dumb space-ant, but the embodiment of horror that Alien so masterfully captured.Now Prometheus wasn't exactly a truely scary film, its more of a introduction and commentary that teases on big ideas. But if it gets a sequel I'm sure it will be a scary as fuck film now that Ridley Scott has reset the franchise. Edited by Shpongle