mmacader

Tuesday (7/24/12) Numbers: TDKR @ $17.76m

Why do people take the IMDB top 250 seriously? It's literally a popularity contest, it's got nothing to do with what people actually think are the best movies ever made.

A popularity (among internet geeks and fanboys) contest

Olympics are big in America?

Opening ceremony ratings are typically pretty good

70 Million Viewers Saw Opening Ceremony on NBC; 14 Million More than Athens

18.6/33 National Rating is 27% Higher than Athens

BEIJING – August 9, 2008 – In the nearly 50 years of televised Olympics, NBC’s coverage of the Opening Ceremony in Beijing was the MOST VIEWED EVER for a non-U.S. Summer Olympics with nearly 70 million total viewers, 14 million more than Athens (56 million).

The Opening Ceremony on NBC earned an 18.6/33 national rating for an increase of 27 percent over Athens in 2004 (14.6/27), and averaged 34.2 million viewers, nearly nine million more than Athens (25.4 million). NBC’s Opening Ceremony 18.6/33 household rating is the highest rated Opening Ceremony for a non-domestic Summer Olympics ever, surpassing the 1960 Rome Games on CBS that delivered an 18.1/36, a record that stood for 48 years, according to Nielsen Media Research.

“The Olympic Opening Ceremony captivated the American public in unprecedented numbers for a non-U.S. Olympics,” said Dick Ebersol, Chairman, NBC Universal Sports & Olympics. “It was a magical and memorable spectacle and a great way to start the Beijing Olympics.”

Additionally, NBCOlympics.com saw its most traffic ever on Friday with 70 million page views, 10 times more than the seven million page views on the opening day of the Athens Games.

NON-U.S. OPENING CEREMONY TOTAL AUDIENCE:

1) Beijing – 2008 – 69.9 million

T2) Athens – 2004 – 56.0 million

T2) Sydney – 2000 – 56.0 million

4) Seoul – 1988 – 51.2 million

5) Barcelona – 1992 – 50.2 million

-Opening Ceremony in Atlanta had a total viewership of 77.0 million; Total viewership data did not exist for Los Angeles in 1984

NON-U.S. OPENING CEREMONY AVERAGE AUDIENCE:

1) Beijing – 2008 – 34.2 million

2) Sydney – 2000 – 27.3 million

3) Athens – 2004 – 25.4 million

4) Seoul – 1988 – 22.7 million

5) Barcelona – 1992 – 21.6 million

-Opening Ceremony in Atlanta had an average viewership of 39.8 million; Average viewership data did not exist for Los Angeles in 1984

NON-U.S. OPENING CEREMONY NATIONAL RATINGS:

1) Beijing – 2008 – 18.6/33

2) Rome – 1960 – 18.1/36

3) Sydney – 2000 – 16.2/29

4) Seoul – 1988 – 15.2/29

5) Athens – 2004 – 14.6/27

6) Barcelona – 1992 – 13.8/29

-Opening Ceremony in Atlanta in 1996 earned a 23.6/45; Los Angeles in 1984 earned a 23.9/48

NBCOLYMPICS.COM OFF TO RECORD START:

NBCOlympics.com garnered 70 million page views on 8/8/08 an increase of 900 percent and 10 times more than the opening day of the Athens Games in 2004 (7 million).

·The 70 million page views are nearly 50 million more page views than the peak day in Athens (Day 4, 20.6 million).

·NBCOlympics.com’s 4.2 million unique users show an increase of 496% over the unique users for the opening day of the Athens Games in 2004 (705,000).

·Since August 1, 2008, NBCOlympics.com has accumulated more than 127 million page views, nearly half the TOTAL for the entire Athens Games.

·Viewers can relive the excitement of the Opening Ceremony now at NBCOlympics.com.

NBC Universal, broadcasting its record 11th Olympics and surpassing ABC for the most Olympics broadcast by any network, will present an unprecedented 3,600 hours of Beijing Olympic Games coverage, the most ambitious single media project in history featuring the most live coverage (nearly 2,900 live hours in total), across the most platforms, of any Summer Olympics in history.

Dick Ebersol served as executive producer of NBC’s Opening Ceremony coverage; David Neal, producer; and Bucky Gunts, director.

Source: NBC

how much does canada account for during weekdays approx

I honestly don't know, but with discount Tuesdays, it's a lot.

Isn't it a U.S. thing too? Maybe it's our proximity to Canada but most, if not all, the theaters in the Minneapolis metro offer discounted tickets on Tuesdays.

The US is all over the place, Cinemark for example have discount tuesday at selected locations (think it doesn't apply if tues is opening day and may not apply to first tues can't recall)Cineplex when they had US cinemas had in Colorado discount tuesday back in 07 and some other areasCanada & Australia started discount tuesdays in the 80's, initially it was called half price tuesday, From memory Canada started it first out of the two, Over the years the discounting % varies greatly on whats on offer same with Australia(could be 30% off, 50%, 70% etc.With Canada over the years different cinema chains and individual theatres have stopped /started the discounting (some times the stop start is selected theatres or cities, where as Australia for example has remained more consistent), Tuesday plays a big part across large majority of years. So whether at any particular point in time Tuesday was discounted or not depending where you are, it was still one of the prefered middays to go in Canada.I don't really have time of day for this but below gives you an overallWE % of WK, TU % WK2012USA 72%, 8%CAN 64% 13%2011USA 71%, 7% (wed 7%)CAN 63%, 12% (Wed 7%)2008USA 71%, 6%CAN 65%, 11%2006USA 71%, 7%CAN 66%, 10%2004 USA 70%, 6% (wed 8%)CAN 65%, 12% (Wed 8%)2002USA 71%, 6%CAN 65%, 12%2000USA 71%, 7%CAN 65%, 12%1999USA 70%, 7% (wed 8%)CAN 65%, 13% (Wed 7%) Edited by Rth
  • Like 3

"I don't know how you can quantify "universal love", but TDKR currently on RT/Flixster is at a 93% user like rating with an average rating of 4.5/5 (which has gone up since the film came out)."

Wrong it has gone from 94% and 4.6/5...

... Yes the percentage rating went from 94% to 93%, but the average rating went up from 4.4/5 to 4.5/5. ...

LMD is right, it went down, from a 4.6 to a 4.5. Tho I would say big woop either way.

Also you should know that IMDB is also refereed to as the Nolan Worshiping site as well. ^_^...

IMDB is the world's most popular movie site. ...

IMDB is also often referred to as the Incorrect Movie Database. IMDB's reputation & credibility were tarnished beyond repair by its own hand years ago. It's so old school now, it's practically archaic... a dinosaur! RT has superseded the antiquated IMDB in every respect, ESPECIALLY popularity! RT's awareness goes well beyond the internet, BTW. Meanwhile, IMDB just continues to grow more obsolete & irrelevant by the day.

Yes IMDB ratings are in many ways a popularity contest, and yes the site might not be as "cool" as RT but the fact remains IMDB is still more visited worldwide than RT is.

In any case, my point was that there is so many metrics which show TDKR has great WOM. There is nothing to indicate WOM itself is bad or not good. The domestic box office numbers are not strong proof because of the tragedy and the unknown effect it is having on the box office.

IMDB is also often referred to as the Incorrect Movie Database. IMDB's reputation & credibility were tarnished beyond repair by its own hand years ago. It's so old school now, it's practically archaic... a dinosaur! RT has superseded the antiquated IMDB in every respect, ESPECIALLY popularity! RT's awareness goes well beyond the internet, BTW. Meanwhile, IMDB just continues to grow more obsolete & irrelevant by the day.

I only use IMDB for the factual information - cast, crew and release date. And that's it. I have never used it as a barometer for film quality simply because recent films are included in the top 250 WAY too early. As of this moment, TDKR is number 9. The original Star Wars is 17. Casablanca is 23. Citizen Kane is 43. 43!!!! That's 24 slots BELOW The Matrix. That right there tells you the ratings mean NOTHING.

Yes IMDB ratings are in many ways a popularity contest, and yes the site might not be as "cool" as RT but the fact remains IMDB is still more visited worldwide than RT is.

In any case, my point was that there is so many metrics which show TDKR has great WOM. There is nothing to indicate WOM itself is bad or not good. The domestic box office numbers are not strong proof because of the tragedy and the unknown effect it is having on the box office.

But BO is the strongest indicator of WOM. I remember Spider-Man 3 had a pretty high rating on IMDB during the first week of its release; I'll bet a lot of people who vote this early are either the die-hards or even people who haven't actually seen the film. I ran into 2 more people at work on Wednesday who saw DKR and got an "it was OK" and "it sucked." That's about 10 people I know who've seen it, and I have yet to get an "I loved it - it was great!" reaction from any of them (or even close to that). Sure, my small circle doesn't mean much, but among this same circle I only heard one less-than-glowing review for The Avengers. I'm just not sensing strong WOM personally, and the BO may be reflecting that. We shouldn't discount BO completely, since it's the strongest barometer there is in every other case. This wouldn't be the first movie to be adored by critics that didn't catch on with the general public, by any stretch! (Not saying that's definitely the case here, just saying that love from critics does not necessarily equate to strong WOM. There are too many examples to cite, there!)
  • Like 1

I only use IMDB for the factual information - cast, crew and release date. And that's it. I have never used it as a barometer for film quality simply because recent films are included in the top 250 WAY too early. As of this moment, TDKR is number 9. The original Star Wars is 17. Casablanca is 23. Citizen Kane is 43. 43!!!! That's 24 slots BELOW The Matrix. That right there tells you the ratings mean NOTHING.

Except The Matrix is a much much much better film than Citizen Kane.The thing about TKR's wom is that it is good, no doubt, but not strong I guess you could say. There are all kinds of websites you can go to that will have many people rating it a 9 or higher but if you read those same reviews, I don't think they are being honest with themselves. And that is where the wom will hurt it. If you have people like me and others saying yes it was good but I had problems with A, B, C and D and Bane wasn't as good as Joker and it was too bloated, but I STILL REALLY LIKED IT, that might be a 9 rating on some site, but what it really should be is a 7.The wom was never...and i mean EVER going to be as strong as TDK. And that is why I called a 2.5-2.7 multiplier off a 180 mill opening back in May.

Ye to you

Except The Matrix is a much much much better film than Citizen Kane.

I would agree that The Matrix is much much much more enjoyable film than Citizen Kane. If I had sit and watch one of them right now, I would pick Matrix in a heartbeat.... and I guess that's what it all boils down to, huh? crap.It's just that the cinema is MY church. I'm driven to remain reverent about the classics... but I WOULD rather sit and watch The A-Team movie on any night rather than Schindler's List. But I just can't bring myself to even consider A-Team to be the better movie.

I just don't like Citizen Kane and as most know here, I think it is the most over rated film in the history of cinema. But, discussion for another time. :)