Ezen Baklattan

Friday & Early Wknd Estimates (9/21/12): END OF WATCH Solid, everything else soft...

I dunno how long we're supposed to wait for JGL to "have a career" before we can start saying we think he's talented because he's been working since he was like 12 and most of those films are at the very least solid and at best pretty damn good. And I say this as someone who's not fond of him personally because he can come off as a hipster douche a lot. Doesn't mean he doesn't have talent.

Edited by lilpunkryo

Don't blame us, blame the studio for its poor marketing and release date.

Thats part of it, but not all of it. The only reason I went to see this movie was because of the glowing reviews it was getting, otherwise I would've never given it a chance and thought it was another shitty Dredd film. But most of the general public don't check reviews or RT before they go see a movie so they probably dismissed this out of hand. I also think the exceptional violence may be too much for some people, plus the R rating.I really don't care much about the boxoffice it makes though, I'm just glad we got an excellent film.
  • Like 1

Thats part of it, but not all of it. The only reason I went to see this movie was because of the glowing reviews it was getting, otherwise I would've never given it a chance and thought it was another shitty Dredd film. But most of the general public don't check reviews or RT before they go see a movie so they probably dismissed this out of hand. I also think the exceptional violence may be too much for some people, plus the R rating.

If they had released this in June with a decent marketing campaign, instead of shitty September with crappy advertising it might of actually been a hit.
  • Like 1

Open Road's END OF WATCH officially clocked in at $13.1M--and will likely be #1 this weekend.

Haha End of Watch came out of nowhere. Move over Clint and Jennifer. (If it holds. Still not totally sure about it.)

Punisher War Zone, while not exactly highly acclaimed, still received a lot of reviews stating it was better than the 2004 film. Regardless, it bombed badly. Dredd looked like more of the same and the good reviews(way better than Stallone's film) were not enough to rise above its lack of interest and star power. Also, say what you want about the Stallone film, it was fun. Dredd looked too bleak , and no matter how much better of an adaption it is, the public perception was that Judge Dredd was a comic-al character. The GP was never gonna accept a serious Dredd film sans Stallone(or another big star).When will Hollywood stop attempting to cash in on popular megastar action films of the 80's/90's when they can't even get said former megastar to at least do a cameo. What's next? A remake of Die Hard? Demolition Man? Commando? This needs to stop.

When will Hollywood stop attempting to cash in on popular megastar action films of the 80's/90's when they can't even get said former megastar to at least do a cameo.

Funny thing is that the Stallone Dredd wasn't even popular to begin with.

The one....ONE trailer I saw for Dredd didn't make me want to see the film. It looked.....I don't even know how it looked. It just didn't look appealing. And for those people who are not comic book people, why remove JUDGE from the name? What the fuck is DREDD?I think it's easy to see why it failed. I'm not sure why it bombed, but a failure is not surprising.

• Like 2

Funny thing is that the Stallone Dredd wasn't even popular to begin with.

Nearly 200m WW adjusted isn't too bad, but considering its budget(90m was a lot for 1995, although it's not Waterworld), yeah, it was a flop.

The one....ONE trailer I saw for Dredd didn't make me want to see the film. It looked.....I don't even know how it looked. It just didn't look appealing. And for those people who are not comic book people, why remove JUDGE from the name? What the fuck is DREDD?I think it's easy to see why it failed. I'm not sure why it bombed, but a failure is not surprising.

It was probably an attempt to further differentiate it from the Stallone flick, but this should have never been greenlit in the first place, regardless of its name.
  • Like 1