Neo

The Warner Bros. Thread | Will NOT merge with Paramount...capitalism is still terrible

2 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

We already got real numbers indicating that this is looking a Dunkirk type performance

If Oppenheimer is a sucess then Nolan might be an exception to that comment Speilberg made a number of years ago about how every director since the 70's has triec to be another David Lean at some point, and fail at it.

2 minutes ago, dudalb said:

If Oppenheimer is a sucess then Nolan might be an exception to that comment Speilberg made a number of years ago about how every director since the 70's has triec to be another David Lean at some point, and fail at it.

I think Oppenheimer's OS might be slightly hampered by the fact it's quite an American story. Dunkirk's OS was powered by a strong UK performance which isn't surprising given the subject matter.

3 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

I think Oppenheimer's OS might be slightly hampered by the fact it's quite an American story. Dunkirk's OS was powered by a strong UK performance which isn't surprising given the subject matter.

I'm pretty sure the ending of World War 2 was importand and relevant to people around the world, not just Americans...

11 hours ago, NamakFiskKa said:

All his projects for the next 2-3yrs announced right now are all niche C and D tier dc properties except Superman and GL 💀💀

The most niche stuff save The Authority and Swamp Thing is for streaming though.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, ZattMurdock said:

Huh. Didn’t see this one coming.

Call me very,very, skeptical.

Are they going to do what is being done with Harry Potter and refilm the novels??

Paging Tom Bombadil and the Scouring of the Shire....

I would rather see Jackson get off his butt and finally make his "Dambusters" movie anyway.

Edited by dudalb

On 6/15/2023 at 12:36 PM, 21C said:

The most niche stuff save The Authority and Swamp Thing is for streaming though.

And The Authority are going to be introduced in Superman Legacy. I’m guessing Superman will counteract them in regards to morals and what being a hero is. The Authority is a perfect team to use as foils to Superman 

4 minutes ago, poweranimals said:

It's starting to become obvious that anything short of a full fledged reboot for DC is gonna be too little too late. This brand is toxic when a Flash movie with at least 2 Batmans can't even open more than a Transformers movie in 2023.

It's bating a dead horse at this point, but pretty clear that combination of created such a low performance:

• Unpopularity of previously films within this universe
  • Length of time since we last saw this version of Flash (nearly 6 years ago)
  • Awareness that this film exists in a dead timeline and is basically a one-off with no future
  • Ezra Miller Situation
  • Recent over performance of Spiderverse and Transformers

See what happens with Blue Beetle, get the money you can get out of Aquaman, and then take 18 months off. 

I think the situation is much more complex than just brand damage. The Flash is being completely rejected by those who didn’t have a problem with the DC brand and went to see it. It got a B cinemascore. And, from what I’m seeing on social media, the main criticism is the awful visuals and CGI, which is the same problem that plagued Green Lantern in 2011, and that was present in all the trailers. We chose to ignore what our eyes were seeing because several credible people were calling this a remarkable film that would be one of the year’s best, but all this time the thing that made audiences reject The Flash was probably already turning people away in the trailers.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, excel1 said:

It's bating a dead horse at this point, but pretty clear that combination of created such a low performance:

• Unpopularity of previously films within this universe
  • Length of time since we last saw this version of Flash (nearly 6 years ago)
  • Awareness that this film exists in a dead timeline and is basically a one-off with no future
  • Ezra Miller Situation
  • Recent over performance of Spiderverse and Transformers

See what happens with Blue Beetle, get the money you can get out of Aquaman, and then take 18 months off. 

All this. Just saw this and I am with you. The CinemaScore for this is a joke. This should have been a A- easy. I feel all the baggage just it up for an unwinnable situation.

One other note- totally understand the "1 film at a time" note, but only to a point. A big reason for the Flash DOA performance is no doubt the almost 6 year gap from his last film. Sure they will blame Covid, but its inexcusable how long it is taking the studio to put out some sequels. Far too much momentum gets squandered when the delay is too long and yet it doesn't enter legacy sequel explosion potential until far later. There needs to be a 3 year gap max between films if they decide to go with a sequel.

Flash - 5 1/2 years

Aquabro 2 - 5 years

Joker 2 - 5 years

The Batman 2 - 3 1/2 years 

This is inexcusable - their 2 billion-dollar-breakouts over performers in Joker and Aquabro waiting 5! years for a sequel is not acceptable. These things should have been ready for 2022 latest. With Superman: Legacy, WB producers need to start plotting potential paths for the sequel in advance so they're ready to go. 

27 minutes ago, excel1 said:

One other note- totally understand the "1 film at a time" note, but only to a point. A big reason for the Flash DOA performance is no doubt the almost 6 year gap from his last film. Sure they will blame Covid, but its inexcusable how long it is taking the studio to put out some sequels. Far too much momentum gets squandered when the delay is too long and yet it doesn't enter legacy sequel explosion potential until far later. There needs to be a 3 year gap max between films if they decide to go with a sequel.

Flash - 5 1/2 years

Aquabro 2 - 5 years

Joker 2 - 5 years

The Batman 2 - 3 1/2 years 

This is inexcusable - their 2 billion-dollar-breakouts over performers in Joker and Aquabro waiting 5! years for a sequel is not acceptable. These things should have been ready for 2022 latest. With Superman: Legacy, WB producers need to start plotting potential paths for the sequel in advance so they're ready to go. 

Spider-verse was 5 years and that didn’t have any problems. Joker 2’s 5 year wait isn’t even gonna be an issue considering a sequel was off the cards for so long