Neo

The Warner Bros. Thread | Will NOT merge with Paramount...capitalism is still terrible

My ranking (from most satisfying to least):

• Man of Steel
  • Aquaman
  • Shazam!
  • The Flash
  • The Suicide Squad
  • Birds of Prey
  • Wonder Woman
  • Wonder Woman 1984
  • Black Adam
  • Shazam: Fury of the Gods
  • Batman v Superman
  • Justice League

Can't rank the following two because I've never watched them properly:

• Suicide Squad
  • ZSJL
Edited by nox

1. Wonder Woman

2. Aquaman

3. Joker

4. WW1984

5. The Batman

6. Birds of Prey

7. Black Adam

8. ZSJL 

9. Shazam

10. The Suicide Squad

11. Man of Steel

12. Suicide Squad

13. Shazam 2

14. Justice League

15. Batman v. Superman - coherent movie edition

16. Batman v. Superman - Lex Luthor frames Superman by shooting people with bullets edition

Edited by PlatnumRoyce

The past 3 years have been terrible for WB tentpoles. Half of the 10 movies with $100m+ budgets bombed catastrophically, and only 2 were really successful:

Title Budget Global BO Multiplier
The Flash 200 300? 1,50
The Batman 200 771 3,86
Fantastic Beasts: The Secrets of Dumbledore 200 407 2,04
Black Adam 200 393 1,97
The Matrix Resurrections 190 157 0,83
The Suicide Squad 185 169 0,91
Dune 165 402 2,44
Godzilla vs. Kong 155 470 3,03
Space Jam: A New Legacy 150 164 1,09
Shazam! Fury of the Gods 125 134 1,07

If nothing else, Batgirl almost certainly had a scenery-chewing villain performance for the ages from Academy Award Winner Brendan Fraser. That failure to capitalize on a star moment is all we need to know about the poor state of the studio these days.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, filmlover said:

If nothing else, Batgirl almost certainly had a scenery-chewing villain performance for the ages from Academy Award Winner Brendan Fraser. That failure to capitalize on a star moment is all we need to know about the poor state of the studio these days.

This must’ve happen on The Slap year because I had no idea Brendan Fraser won an Oscar.

• ...wtf 1

If Batgirl had come out it would have flopped hard lets be honest. If WB released Flash because test screenings were good (despite literally everything else going on with the movie's production), but canned Batgirl, I can only imagine how bad that movie would have been. Probably Catwoman or Green Lantern quality.

20 minutes ago, Bob Train said:

If Batgirl had come out it would have flopped hard lets be honest. If WB released Flash because test screenings were good (despite literally everything else going on with the movie's production), but canned Batgirl, I can only imagine how bad that movie would have been. Probably Catwoman or Green Lantern quality.

It wasn’t supposed to be a theatrical release. That was reportedly why it was canned. 

On 6/19/2023 at 12:10 AM, Belakor said:

What a mess the DC brand is now, in 10 years they've made 15 movies and only 3 of them have been successful (The Batman, Aquaman, Wonder woman).

At this point they should just push the hand brake and let Matt develop his Batman Universe without adding more saturation with more mediocre/bad movies (Brave and the bold, new Superman, etc.).

I think you forgot The Joker so 4/15, though to be fair MOS, BVS, Suicide Squad and Shazam also made a profit. 

Bizarrely, they tried to sell The Flash on Keaton's big return as Batman, but the film that would have probably done well out of it is actually Batgirl. 

Keaton in The Flash isn't really Burton's Batman at all, in terms of his surroundings and characterisation. But it seems like Batgirl would have gone a lot harder on recreating Batman 89.

I'm pretty convinced that Batgirl - even if it was trash - would have actually proved more profitable than Flash.

What an absolute mess.

Edited by FunkMiller
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, FunkMiller said:

Bizarrely, they tried to sell The Flash on Keaton's big return as Batman, but the film that would have probably done well out of it is actually Batgirl. 

Keaton in The Flash isn't really Burton's Batman at all, in terms of his surroundings and characterisation. But it seems like Batgirl would have gone a lot harder on recreating Batman 89.

I'm pretty convinced that Batgirl - even if it was trash - would have actually proved more profitable than Flash.

What an absolute mess.

Well, given the Miller situation, they did not have much choice

I don't fault the studio for not giving a theatrical run to Batgirl..people forget it was first intended as a Streaming movie; the theatrical release idea waa added later. And if the film was not that good, killing the theatricla release was the right move. But the putting it in the vault and not giving it a streamaing showing...that I don't get. God knows enough crappy stuff  gets a streaming release.

What we don't kow is how close it was to being completed when it was canned. We know they got to the rough cut stage, how clpse it was to a version that cuuld be released we don't know.