Neo

The Warner Bros. Thread | Will NOT merge with Paramount...capitalism is still terrible

HBO has been licensing library titles for years, they sold a bunch of content to basic cables back in the 2000s. 

I could see a lot of titles which are not fully owned by HBO eventually making their way to other streamers, The Gilded Age for example is made by Universal and The Last of Us is Sony. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, MightyDargon said:

They seriously need to get rid of Zaslav. He has such nuclear heat that multiple films have died from his mismanagement alone.

I think the issue goes deeper than one man.

The DC IP at Warner Bros has been mismanaged for decades. There was never a time when things were rosy. Even during the success of The Dark Knight years, they were still producing trash DC movies. Nolan succeeded despite the people at WB, not because of them.

The Batman series prior to Nolan was allowed to flounder, and even further back, so was Superman. Every single DC franchise has ended in failure, other than Nolan's Batman movies.

I do not see any reason for this to change now Gunn is in charge. There will still be executive interference, cost cutting, and people involved who have no idea who or what DC comic characters are.

I truly think that the best thing that could happen is for WB to lose so much money on DC movies, that they sell the whole damn thing to someone else. Sadly, this is now unlikely that they are once again trying to kick start a new DCU. Which will probably also flounder and fail, thanks to the multitudinous people at WB who have no idea what they're doing.

Edited by FunkMiller

19 minutes ago, FunkMiller said:

I think the issue goes deeper than one man.

The DC IP at Warner Bros has been mismanaged for decades. There was never a time when things were rosy. Even during the success of The Dark Knight years, they were still producing trash DC movies. Nolan succeeded despite the people at WB, not because of them.

The Batman series prior to Nolan was allowed to flounder, and even further back, so was Superman. Every single DC franchise has ended in failure, other than Nolan's Batman movies.

I do not see any reason for this to change now Gunn is in charge. There will still be executive interference, cost cutting, and people involved who have no idea who or what DC comic characters are.

I truly think that the best thing that could happen is for WB to lose so much money on DC movies, that they sell the whole damn thing to someone else. Sadly, this is now unlikely that they are once again trying to kick start a new DCU. Which will probably also flounder and fail, thanks to the multitudinous people at WB who have no idea what they're doing.

They're not going to sell DC, it's more than just movies. Batman alone makes them a ton of money and as seen with the likes of Joker, when they hit, they hit big. 

I do think we need to stop having such hate boners for the likes of Zaslav, it's really not healthy to rage against an exec who likely does not care what some nerds on forums think of him. 

• Like 1

WB made efforts to trust their filmmakers, it just leads to widely varying results. Nolan, Wan, Jenkins, and Phillips delivered. Singer and Snyder....?

Just now, WittyUsername said:

On the plus side for WB, Barbie looks like it has pretty strong momentum that isn’t artificial like with The Flash. Their Summer might not be a total loss. 

If that doesn't work out, there's always The Meg 2

4 minutes ago, Cappoedameron said:

The board can, which they will if the press around Zaslav continues to be as bad as it is, and definitely if his upcoming films all underperform or bomb.

I doubt CEO of a media company like WBD is fired for movie box office which makes tiny portion of overall revenue. He will get fired if the overall financials are not inline with the expectations. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

I doubt CEO of a media company like WBD is fired for movie box office which makes tiny portion of overall revenue. He will get fired if the overall financials are not inline with the expectations. 

Exactly and you can blame the previous regime as well not the current regime. 

19 minutes ago, Cappoedameron said:

The board can, which they will if the press around Zaslav continues to be as bad as it is, and definitely if his upcoming films all underperform or bomb.

Except Zaslav has no upcoming films this year that come from him. Pretty much all of them are inherited. The one hit WBD had in Evil Dead is one that became a hit because he sent it to theaters instead of streaming. 

1 minute ago, 21C said:

Except Zaslav has no upcoming films this year that come from him. Pretty much all of them are inherited. The one hit WBD had in Evil Dead is one that became a hit because he sent it to theaters instead of streaming. 

The current regime at WB won't see their fruits until 2024 or 2025. 

1 hour ago, WittyUsername said:

I will never understand the protectiveness certain people have over this guy, but whatever. 

It's not really protectiveness as much as I simply think that a lot of the arguments made against him are kinda dumb. I'd rather not defend him, but I just don't agree with a lot of the takes over his business decisions. 

• Like 2