Neo

The Warner Bros. Thread | Will NOT merge with Paramount...capitalism is still terrible

Regarding the Looney Tunes movie, they said it would be "delivered" in early 2024, which I presume means that's when production will finish. If that's the case, and assuming it doesn't get pushed back further due to the strikes, 2025 is probably when it's coming out.

Which begs the question, how well will it do? The last Looney Tunes movie was Space Jam 2. That one made $163 million, but it could easily have made more if it weren't for the fact that it was given a day-and-date release on HBO Max, and released in the midst of the COVID pandemic. It also cost $150 million, most likely due to being a live-action/2D/CGI hybrid. This movie is going to be entirely 2D, so its budget will probably be quite a bit lower than Space Jam 2. If that's the case, I'm cautiously optimistic for the moment. 

But then again, I was optimistic about Lightyear and Strange World too. 

Edited by El Squibbonator
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, WittyUsername said:

These past few years have convinced me that WB is quite possibly the pettiest studio in Hollywood

Yeah they do this a lot.

After Black Adam flopped, they had the trades drop articles about Dwayne Johnson to make him look bad (for serving alcohol at a premiere for his PG-13 films?) after the Snyder Cut fiasco, they had the trades drop articles on how Snyder is some Lex Luthor villain (for being rude to studio execs). 

5 minutes ago, TheDude391 said:

Yeah they do this a lot.

After Black Adam flopped, they had the trades drop articles about Dwayne Johnson to make him look bad (for serving alcohol at a premiere for his PG-13 films?) after the Snyder Cut fiasco, they had the trades drop articles on how Snyder is some Lex Luthor villain (for being rude to studio execs). 

They have a tendency to throw their talent under the bus when it suits them.

• Like 1

If WB were really smart, they'd arrange a major wide release for the 10th anniversary of Interstellar with major IMAX support.

The film is beloved on a level with The Godfather and 2001: A Space Odyssey with Millennials and has a strong TikTok presence as a result.

Could easily see it clearing $50 million with full marketing support. There's a massive yearning to see it on a big screen for the people too young to have seen it initially.

With theatres looking sparse next year, there's a terrific opportunity laid out in front of them.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pieman said:

If WB were really smart, they'd arrange a major wide release for the 10th anniversary of Interstellar with major IMAX support.

The film is beloved on a level with The Godfather and 2001: A Space Odyssey with Millennials and has a strong TikTok presence as a result.

Could easily see it clearing $50 million with full marketing support. There's a massive yearning to see it on a big screen for the people too young to have seen it initially.

With theatres looking sparse next year, there's a terrific opportunity laid out in front of them.

Insane how Interstellar got such middling reviews at the time when superhero dog water was getting overpraised - even funnier seeing the difference in the impact between the two

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Dominic Draper said:

so uh, what if superman legacy flops and gunns dcu struggles.

They let him cancel and scrap pretty much everything except Reeves Batman universe. I have no doubt he would scrap that too if he was allowed.

Then what? 

I didn't see the series, but I really think the strategy of putting all things in a basket shows how wrong studios nowadays are. They want all those attentions for their universe, but all they can do is to delete anything else. It makes me feel they have no confidence in their own plan.

The reason MCU works and come true is that Marvel Studios delivered great things like The Avengers instead of controlling all those characters incl Spider-Man. Greater power don't always come with great attention or reputation. But great works can make it. Now MCU is suffering from the same bad situation. People are losing their attention and interest, even though Marvel now control almost everything and have the power to do whatever they want except delivering great movies.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Dominic Draper said:

They let him cancel and scrap pretty much everything except Reeves Batman universe. I have no doubt he would scrap that too if he was allowed.

Then what? 

This isn't on James Gunn. The CW is under new ownership and they basically want to lean more into cheaply made content and S&L is more on the expensive side.

• Like 3

22 hours ago, Dominic Draper said:

Then what? 

One thing DC did right over Marvel was having separate universes for their DC adaptations. Greg Berlanti and the CW were allowed to build a successful universe on TV despite all the messy changes that eventually ran the DCEU into the ground. Movies like The Batman and Joker were also successful stories that would never happen in the MCU model.

Marvel fans used to complain that Agents of SHIELD was ignored by the movies, and now that the Disney+ shows are part of the overall MCU storyline, some fans are complaining that they are required to watched them. Hopefully after Gunn establishes his own universe, we continue to get separate DC projects that aren't limited to fit into a larger storyline.