Neo

The Warner Bros. Thread | Will NOT merge with Paramount...capitalism is still terrible

4 hours ago, JWR said:

If The Batman was a critical and commercial flop, I'd understand. But it made money, people liked it, so why fix something that ain't broken? Meanwhile, Superman's last standalone film was incredibly polarizing and that iteration (along with most of the DCEU) has not clicked with audiences. 

At least this way, DC is putting out content of some kind while Gunn is getting the house in order. And who knows? Maybe Reeves will change his mind and bring Battinson over. But for now, just leave it alone.

I do wonder if Joker and The Batman sequels could be put under a sub brand of DC Studios similar to DC Black Label. 

Supposedly Zaslav and WB were begging Todd Phillips to take the job as the new head of DC Studios before James Gunn was hired. If that’s true, then that sounds just plain desperate. Getting the guy who admitted that he doesn’t care much about superhero movies or comic books to headline your superhero franchise? 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, WittyUsername said:

Batman is no more integral to the DC Universe than the Fantastic Four historically was to the Marvel Universe, but that didn’t stop the MCU. 

Maybe, but Batman is DC most popular charecter.

I repeat,no reason why you can'thave a gritty, grounded Batman in the DCU.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, ZattMurdock said:

Why do we need three, four takes on Batman running at same time?

The question is simply. Why can’t Matt Reeves play ball? What having his Batman be ‘alone’ in the universe benefit the story? Because I wouldn’t call his take on Batman grounded. Neither that it’s actually treading new ground. It feels like playing a Nolan’s Batman cover if he can’t be part of the bigger universe.

You must not be paying attention to what's going on.  David Zaslav, head of Warner Bros. Discovery, has literally said "There won't be four Batmans..."  A point I again tried to clarify pages ago...but you need to read.  Keaton's Batman will likely be a one-off appearance in THE FLASH in the spring, and Affleck's Bats will also be done/finito...for the last time...we think...in that same movie.  There are no other scheduled Batman appearances formally announced at this point until Matt Reeves' THE BATMAN 2...whenever that happens.  And I'm predicting Gunn/Safran don't introduce their Batman for quite a while, yet...  And why do you think Reeves "isn't playing ball"?  You're operating off gossip/speculation from fanboy Twitter that to my knowledge, has no grounding in factual statements from anyone involved.  Perhaps Gunn/Safran are OK with Reeves continuing his own universe until they really figure out their own?  It's quite possible!  Let's see how the popcorn shakes out before we complain about the burnt kernels...

Edited by Macleod
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, dudalb said:

Maybe, but Batman is DC most popular charecter.

I repeat,no reason why you can'thave a gritty, grounded Batman in the DCU.

I repeat, no reason to have a DCU on film at this point. The shared cinematic universe craze is past its prime. If you’re going to just scrap the previous continuity, you might as well focus exclusively on standalone franchises moving forward. I seriously doubt that general audiences would care about seeing a Justice League reboot in 2029 where they fight Starro or Darkseid for the 52nd time. 

If this was Nolan post TDK I would understand not interfering with his stuff but it's not. Reeves Batman flick was nothing special quality or box office wise

Aquaman made like 400m more than The Batman and yet it's the one getting shelved. Make it make sense

Edited by DlAMONDZ

Ray Fisher is starring in a critically acclaimed Broadway play with Samuel L. Jackson and John David Washington and is filming the next Zack Snyder hit on Netflix, his career is doing fine. He will continue to get support from his community. Long gone are the days when straight white men ruled every industry and people were scared to piss them off. And it's not like his career would be doing any better had everyone stayed silent about what happened during the Justice League reshoots - they had already cut almost all of his character's story arc from the theatrical cut anyway, of course the people who took over the DCEU franchise at the time would not bring Cyborg back 🤷‍♂️

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

15 hours ago, ZattMurdock said:

I seriously cannot stand this much versions of whatever ‘auteurs’ want to make for DC characters. It’s not like The Batman is The Godfather. It’s a good superhero film, right there with the best Batman films of all time, sure. But if he is isolated from the universe that they are building, you all can enjoy it but I’m likely giving up on that, even if I loved the first film.

What I want is what Gunn is envisioning for the DC Universe. I will follow that instead.

Looking at how The Dark Knight, Suicide Squad and Joker did with 3 different versions of the Joker in the span of 11 years, not to mention the one on the Gotham TV series, I think audiences are able to accept different universes at the same time. The box office decline from The Dark Knight Rises, to Batman v Superman and to The Batman is a counterpoint to that, but I still think it's worth the risk considering all of them were big and profitable. If I were running WB I would let Reeves do his own Batman universe separated from Gunn's. The Batman universe in the comics has enough iconic characters and storylines for it to have its own cinematic universe separated from the rest.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, WittyUsername said:

I don’t understand why you guys care about this stuff. It’s not like James Gunn’s career is going to take a hit because of this. 

Why do we care that some Hollywood actors and directors behave like a mafia marking targets on social media? Because DC’s name has been tarnished enough as it is. Snyderverse did more damage to DC’s brand than the inoffensive Adam West’s Batman tv show ever did, and that made DC take ten to fifteen years to recover the Batman’s brand. Not only that, this shit is dangerous:

https://www.rollingstone.com/tv-movies/tv-movie-features/justice-league-the-snyder-cut-bots-fans-1384231/

11 minutes ago, ZattMurdock said:

Why do we care that some Hollywood actors and directors behave like a mafia marking targets on social media? Because DC’s name has been tarnished enough as it is. Snyderverse did more damage to DC’s brand than the inoffensive Adam West’s Batman tv show ever did, and that made DC take ten to fifteen years to recover the Batman’s brand. Not only that, this shit is dangerous:

https://www.rollingstone.com/tv-movies/tv-movie-features/justice-league-the-snyder-cut-bots-fans-1384231/

Not sure what you’re getting at with the Adam West comparison. Has anyone ever really accused that show of harming Batman’s reputation? 

Just now, WittyUsername said:

Not sure what you’re getting at with the Adam West comparison. Has anyone ever really accused that show of harming Batman’s reputation? 

Lol. Definitely. Adam West’s Batman is glorious, but was heavily vilified between the 70s and 80s. Hence why Miller’s grim and gritty take on the character post Crisis was so celebrated. Truth to be told, Danny O’Neil and Neal Adams Pre Crisis also played a major part rehabilitating the character, at least among comic book readers.

4 minutes ago, ZattMurdock said:

Lol. Definitely. Adam West’s Batman is glorious, but was heavily vilified between the 70s and 80s. Hence why Miller’s grim and gritty take on the character post Crisis was so celebrated. Truth to be told, Danny O’Neil and Neal Adams Pre Crisis also played a major part rehabilitating the character, at least among comic book readers.

The Adam West show was simply a reflection of what the comics were like at the time.