Neo

The Warner Bros. Thread | Will NOT merge with Paramount...capitalism is still terrible

Coyote V Acme has been cancelled again-- for real this time. WB tried to market it to other distributors, including Paramount and Amazon, but none of them offered a high enough bid for their liking and they have once again written the movie off. I'm definitely disappointed by this, but I can't say I'm surprised given how the company has treated its movies in the past few years. The Day The Earth Blew Up, another Looney Tunes movie, was lucky to get picked up for distribution by GFM Animation.

But beyond that, who knows? Which WB movies and franchises can we consider "safe"?

I hate to be a Negative Nancy, but at this rate I wonder if Warner Bros. Pictures Animation even has a future. The Day The Earth Blew Up and The Lord of The Rings: The War Of The Rohirrim aren’t being released under the WBPA banner, and they don’t have any other movies with a release date planned except for The Cat In The Hat, in 2025.

On the surface that would seem like a surefire hit, given how beloved Dr. Seuss is, but we thought Coyote V Acme was an obvious success too and look what happened.

10 minutes ago, Human said:

I think it is reasonable that Saffron's job is mostly (or entirely) to fuck with Gunn's DCU.

No, that makes no sense at all. If that were true, they'd have put one of their studio execs on the job, not some producer who worked with them before and is good friends with James Gunn. Any fuckery will be coming from both of their bosses.

6 hours ago, Reddroast said:

https://puck.news/ryan-cooglers-25-year-plan/

Some interesting stuff here 

I agree though it also really feels like sour grapes. Ben Affleck made comments while promoting Artists Equity (it was a big, long profile in the trades that I'm struggling to find) that imply he got a similar deal for his movies like "The Town" (which he announced was recently re-licensed by him for an 8 figure payment). That means Affleck got the 8-10 year reversion this article mentions Coogler sought (and Affleck did so a decade ago at WB). To me, that begs the question as to why there aren't any examples cited of people getting such aggressive reversions for major films. 

Edited by PlatnumRoyce

4 hours ago, Warmaster506 said:

Zaslav will fuck with Gunns DC no question.  

Sometimes I really wish DC could just break free and become an independent company like how Marvel was before Disney came in. That way Gunn could have all the power and fend off any meddlesome executives. The recent Coyote news has definitely dampened my hopes for the new DC universe going anywhere, I'm not going to lie.

3 hours ago, Speedorito said:

They’ve screened it to 12 buyers but refuse to budge on the price. SXSW also wanted to screen it but they refused.

It wouldn't be cost-effective to release themselves, but they won't show it to increase hype or let other studios bid more than once?

They didn't want this sold period. Would it have cost money to screen at SXSW? Yeah, but there would have been a ROI on it to entice other studios.

5 hours ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

Sometimes I really wish DC could just break free and become an independent company like how Marvel was before Disney came in.

If that was the case, they wouldn't be able to fund their movies and they wouldn't survive 8 flops in a row like they did under WB.

• Like 1