A Marvel Fanboy

China Box Office Thread | Oppenheimer-August 30

1 minute ago, Matthew said:

Last year Infinity war had very good post second weekend hold. That's why it legged up to 365M. 

it legged it to 376 still it was 315 plus even before its 3 weekend now endame its earlier it has holidays in 2 weekend and five day ow

4 minutes ago, Matthew said:

Last year Infinity war had very good post second weekend hold. That's why it legged up to 365M. 

True, but it also made nearly 90% of its box office in the first 14 days, and it’s 3rd weekend drop was still 67%.  So Pikachu in weekend 3 won’t hurt it but a little bit. 

20 minutes ago, Matthew said:

Thanks for clarifying to him. He is spreading this on r/boxoffice also. That Avengers Endgame is not having 5 day weekend. Weekend doesn't mean holiday for a country. It means the amount of money it has earned through first Sunday. 

Making one comment isn't spreading it. But sure, whatever you want to say.

4 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

Does this mean EG will more and more likely pass Titanic ww?

I hope so. Wishful thinking but it can happen. As of now 60/40 chance but that can change as we go nearer to release and the marketing campaign by Disney. They will have to release something substantial to get the attention of family audience that are not looking forward to Endgame 

10 minutes ago, Matthew said:

I hope so. Wishful thinking but it can happen. As of now 60/40 chance but that can change as we go nearer to release and the marketing campaign by Disney. They will have to release something substantial to get the attention of family audience that are not looking forward to Endgame 

They released Infinity War for that.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

I would say there is a huge difference of fan base between Pikachu which I liked 22 years ago as a child versus End Game but some crossover sure. 75% drop from week 2 to week 3 is unlikely because I doubt End Game will have bad legs.

However since you predicted 1.5 billion minimum for DP I can understand your opinion. I disagree on the level of success but assume that it will do very well.

Since chances are some of the older cast will bite the bullet, I wonder what the overall reaction will be. IW of course had that ending, but there was also an undeniable factor of "they'll undo this, they can't keep Spidey and BP dead when they've just started". If EG is 3 hours and Cap and/or Tony die, would people be upset enough to reduce multiple viewings? If it's well done, I don't think it will be an issue, but just a thought...

Anyway, would like to see this pushing 500 in China.

6 minutes ago, reddevil19 said:

Since chances are some of the older cast will bite the bullet, I wonder what the overall reaction will be. IW of course had that ending, but there was also an undeniable factor of "they'll undo this, they can't keep Spidey and BP dead when they've just started". If EG is 3 hours and Cap and/or Tony die, would people be upset enough to reduce multiple viewings? If it's well done, I don't think it will be an issue, but just a thought...

I could see this going either way. 

Reduced repeats due to super sad ending and long film 

BUT

Increased repeats due to it being the last film for Cap/Tony, thus providing an emotional attachment to the movie and wanting to rewatch. Similar to how fans of FRIENDS rewatch "The Last One" since it is an emotional send off.

I think these might balance out to give not much difference to Infinity War

• Like 1

1 hour ago, VenomXXR said:

So with the release date now being 4/24 and not the 5/10 that most people anticipated a month ago, when do we expect presales to start? 4/2 as is expected in the US?

The earliest I've seen PS start other than CNY is 21 days out.  3rd or later

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Matthew said:

Disney has to be careful. If EG will indeed surpass Titanic, they shouldn't gloat about it too much, or else they will risk pissing Jim Cameron (who is now Disney-based). You know Jimmy is quite moody 😉

1 hour ago, reddevil19 said:

If people think that film being depressing don't make money, just a reminder Titanic is still 2nd highest grossing film of world.

Nothing sells better than emotions.

If Tony/Cap dies, that's only gonna help.

Don't underestimate power of crying/weeping fans.

Edited by Charlie Jatinder
  • Like 6