Neo

Pacific Rim: Uprising | March 23, 2018 | Steven S. DeKnight (Starz' Spartacus, Marvel's Daredevil) directing | John Boyega. Scott Eastwood joins as co-lead | Tag All Spoilers!

5 hours ago, MyMovieCanBeatUpYourMovie said:

Huh.  So not the clusterfuck everyone was expecting?

I already bought tickets with friends for the weekend.  Looks like it might actually be an enjoyable sit and not just something to endure and snicker at.

4 hours ago, The Dark Rock said:

Looks like not the crapfest everyone here was expecting this one to be. Surprisingly decent reviews so far.

4 hours ago, Treetanic said:

Oh what's that? It's getting good reviews? Screw you haters and non-believers. 

4 hours ago, Cookson said:

Yeah, surprised at the RT score! Gives me hope we'll have at least an enjoyable SFX monster film. I think BP is going down... Too many people on spring break for a movie like this to not at least hit 20m... Hell, I wouldn't be surprised at a 30m weekend with it being spring break.

4 hours ago, Valonqar said:

75% RT with 24 Fresh reviews! :ohmygod:

4 hours ago, Valonqar said:

Time for me to eat a crow pie.

319.gif?a=1109940972767

Congrats to everyone who believed in this movie. It's probably going to open bigger than expected too. 

4 hours ago, MovieMan89 said:

Legit shocked this isn’t getting panned. Seemed like as obvious of a Rotten as Freed. 

lol at everyone when there's only 22 reviews in. 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Valonqar said:

He's not bringing anything interesting to the character. He's playing him like a straight up comedy even though he's supposedly a born and bred soldier. But he doesn't even have a posture and carriage like one! There's no way that JJ forbid him to act as anything other than a total doofus. I bet Boyega simply had no ideas. In all honestly, it's an uninterested, basic performance so no wonder RJ expanded Poe at Finn's expense cause Oscar Isaac at least did something memorable with that nothing of a character in TFA. Storm Pilot ship is so popular mostly thanks to what Poe/Oscar brought to it. So yeah, I'm not surprised they are not interested in Finn when they have actors who actually bring something to their characters. 

Completely agree, Boyega wasn't great in TFA either, but he was lucky enough to have Harrison Ford aid him in his first blockbuster, and unfortunately, Kelly Tran wasn't as good as Ford, but as an actor, you can't only count on your co-star to save you. Seriously, Boyega had a lot of screen time in both TFA and TLJ with a proper subplot, a B grade villain for him to defeat and they even created a love interest (Rose) for him, and Boyega's stans still think he got sidelined??? WTH? 
Btw, I was hoping that PR2 would succeed because I liked the original PR that Del Toro made, but it seems like PR is a hopeless brand now.

Edited by flyingflowerz
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, flyingflowerz said:

Completely agree, Boyega wasn't great in TFA either, but he was lucky enough to have Harrison Ford aid him in his first blockbuster, and unfortunately, Kelly Tran wasn't as good as Ford, but as an actor, you can't only count on your co-star to save you. Seriously, Boyega had a lot of screen time in both TFA and TLJ with a proper subplot, a B grade villain for him to defeat and they even created a love interest (Rose) for him, and Boyega's stans still think he got sidelined??? WTH? 
Btw, I was hoping that PR2 would succeed because I liked the original PR that Del Toro made, but it seems like PR is a hopeless brand now.

I think people felt he was sidelined because yes he got his own subplot, villain, and love interest all to himself... but the subplot was shit, the villain was shit, and the love interest was shit.

4 minutes ago, Treetanic said:

I think people felt he was sidelined because yes he got his own subplot, villain, and love interest all to himself... but the subplot was shit, the villain was shit, and the love interest was shit.

Don’t disrespect Rose

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Treetanic said:

Also his screentime was around 30 minutes in TFA.. and about 17 minutes in TLJ, which is a longer movie too.

1 minute ago, Rebeccas said:

Also his screentime was around 30 minutes in TFA.. and about 17 minutes in TLJ, which is a longer movie too.

yes and Rey is very clearly the lead, not "one of the three leads" which TFA tried to convince us. But i think if the Finn stuff had worked people wouldn't mind his smaller role.

1 hour ago, flyingflowerz said:

Completely disagree about Boyega, he was far more entertaining onscreen in TFA than Rey. His comedic touches worked well and Rey was pretty wooden 

Daisy Ridley was very wooden in Force Awakens and one of the things I disliked most about it, but shes much stronger in Last Jedi and genuinely impressed me by how much she's improved her acting.

Edited by Treetanic

1 minute ago, intenso said:

how can a movie with average score of 5.2/10 be over 60% :apocalypse:

Not sure if you are being serious but do you understand what the mean average actually is? The average person has 1.9 legs and yet 99% of people have 2 legs, etc

I thought Boyega's acting was better than Ridley's in TFA. His role was just small and useless And his role was more shit in TLJ.... his whole plot line was irrelevant and he had half as much screen time 

Edited by ban1o

63%/5.2 after 24 reviews means it's likely to end up rotten once more reviews come in. Not that it matters much. Even half the critics liking PRU is as good as an Academy nod in the context.

Matching Pacific Rim's global cume is possible.

102 dom + 112 China + 197 OS-China = 411 ww PR1

70 dom + 150 China + 200 OS-Chna = 420 ww PR2

• Like 1

@Treetanic

That's perception vs intention. Nobody at LF forked out pretty money to film in Dubrovnik only for Finn's special adventure and created brand new creatures and characters only for him in order to "sideline" him. So if Finn stans feel he was sidelined cause they didn't like his plot (and lets be honest here, they wouldn't like anything short of Jedi Finn who scores out of his league like Seth Rogen in Space) that's their problem. But acting like LF intentionally sidelined the character by creating entire movie within a movie just for his pleasure is the most ridiculous thing ever. Perhaps their problem is that they don't really like Finn but only the idea of what they want him to represent but he doesn't? Cause I swear I've never seen a whinier fandom than Finn's. These fans have issues with absolutely everything about their "favorite" character. Who needs detractors with fans like that? 

@flyingflowerz Well said! 

Edited by Valonqar