Rthmessiah

Weekend#s BD2 $43.1M/$227M, Skyfall 36/221.7, Linc 25/62.2, Rise 24/32.6, Pi 22/30.2, Ralph 16.8/1

Quality has no bearing on a movie's box office. If box office is the only measure of quality, below average movies from the Twilight saga (Excluding the first one) have surpassed all Bond movies (Unadjusted) but for Skyfall. Does it mean those are better than most Bond movies? Anyway, while Skyfall is a decent movie it is tad overrated. It lacks entertainment and a good script. Except for Javier Bardem, there is nothing special about Skyfall. Script is below average and is a patchwork of several other bond movies/spy thrillers:Villain gets back at MI6/M: Check GoldeneyeVillain Mole helps Bond and is killed by the Villain: Check The Man With The Golden GunSpy List missing/stolen: Several movies including the first Mission ImpossibleSkyfall falls behind as a Bond movie in a big way. But it has hit the perfect box office storm and is a huge blockbuster. There is not a single action scene that thrills or is even remotely Bond worthy. Anyway, being a Bond fan for almost 4 decades, I'm glad to see a Bond movie perform better than many unworthy movies at the box office.

• Like 2

Villain gets back at MI6/M: Check GoldeneyeVillain Mole helps Bond and is killed by the Villain: Check The Man With The Golden GunSpy List missing/stolen: Several movies including the first Mission Impossible

Some people complain that Skyfall doesn't feel like a Bond movie while others complain that it rips off its own franchise. It sometimes feels like the film can't win. Anyway, I thought the action was nicely integrated to the story. Which is rare these days, usually the the story is just a bridge to the next set piece.
  • Like 1

Some people complain that Skyfall doesn't feel like a Bond movie while others complain that it rips off its own franchise. It sometimes feels like the film can't win.Anyway, I thought the action was nicely integrated to the story. Which is rare these days, usually the the story is just a bridge to the next set piece.

While Skyfall rips off other Bond movies, it seriously lacks the entertainment quotient of great Bond movies. Bond is a great character in himself. He does not have to become Bruce Wayne to be great.
  • Like 1

It passed Megamind and Puss in Boots in four weekends. It dropped -10% against two new family movies. Rich Moore has been given the greenlight for a sequel. It's a really big hit.

It won't get Tangled's I think nearly $40m Christmas boost though.
  • Like 1

I think Bond as a franchise is overrated. The stories are overlong, poorly edited, unnecessarily convoluted...Skyfall made it simpler.

By now Bond is so iconic it pretty much transcends descriptions of over or underrated. The films certainly stick to a formula which is both a strength (great production values) and a weakness (lack of character development, predictability), but having watched all of them in the last couple of months I think they've aged quite well.What I appreciated most about Skyfall is that it didn't feel the need to rush its quieter scenes, something that's painfully rare for blockbusters these days and actually harked back to eariler Bonds in the best way.

The fact that it is grossing 1b+ means your yardstick is wrong.

Huh!?Dark of the moon? Bad movies can make money too.Skyfall was good, just isn't great. We all have our opinions now...
  • Like 1

Quality has no bearing on a movie's box office. If box office is the only measure of quality, below average movies from the Twilight saga (Excluding the first one) have surpassed all Bond movies (Unadjusted) but for Skyfall. Does it mean those are better than most Bond movies? Anyway, while Skyfall is a decent movie it is tad overrated. It lacks entertainment and a good script. Except for Javier Bardem, there is nothing special about Skyfall. Script is below average and is a patchwork of several other bond movies/spy thrillers:Villain gets back at MI6/M: Check GoldeneyeVillain Mole helps Bond and is killed by the Villain: Check The Man With The Golden GunSpy List missing/stolen: Several movies including the first Mission ImpossibleSkyfall falls behind as a Bond movie in a big way. But it has hit the perfect box office storm and is a huge blockbuster. There is not a single action scene that thrills or is even remotely Bond worthy. Anyway, being a Bond fan for almost 4 decades, I'm glad to see a Bond movie perform better than many unworthy movies at the box office.

You forgot to add 'IMO'
  • Like 1

It won't get Tangled's I think nearly $40m Christmas boost though.

Still going to come close to Tangled (thinking 185m total) despite a far riskier premise to pull off IMO. And Disney will get that 40m from Monsters Inc 3D so I don't think they really care.

Still going to come close to Tangled (thinking 185m total) despite a far riskier premise to pull off IMO. And Disney will get that 40m from Monsters Inc 3D so I don't think they really care.

But marketed with very famous videogame characters Sonic, Pac-man, Bowser, ....