66 members have voted

1. 1. Grade Jaws

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

Legend, last Sunday I had a very similar experience to what you describe. It was my first time to see this glorious film on the big screen.

Cool to see it with a crowd. The digital print and projection were top notch and the theater was nice enough to put it on a legit big screen (at least 40 feet wide).

Seeing it on a much larger canvas than the TV screen makes you realize how good the cinematography is. Love the seascapes of the water, boats, barrels, etc.

Ultimately though it's about the characters. Scheider, Dreyfuss, and Shaw are a legendary trio. The movie is very underrated in the humor department. Many memorable lines and funny moments. Hollywood just doesn't make movies like they used to and seeing Jaws on the big screen is excellent proof of that fact. The original blockbuster is still the best blockbuster of all-time.

A+ (10/10)

• Like 9

Legend, last Sunday I had a very similar experience to what you describe. It was my first time to see this glorious film on the big screen.

Cool to see it with a crowd. The digital print and projection were top notch and the theater was nice enough to put it on a legit big screen (at least 40 feet wide).

Seeing it on a much larger canvas than the TV screen makes you realize how good the cinematography is. Love the seascapes of the water, boats, barrels, etc.

Ultimately though it's about the characters. Scheider, Dreyfuss, and Shaw are a legendary trio. The movie is very underrated in the humor department. Many memorable lines and funny moments. Hollywood just doesn't make movies like they used to and seeing Jaws on the big screen is excellent proof of that fact. The original blockbuster is still the best blockbuster of all-time.

A+ (10/10)

It's always about characters, that is why Spielberg could make a movie centered around grass growing and it would likely still be pretty good. I don't know if it is the best blockbuster but it is very good and a game changer for the industry.

• Like 1

A+ (10/10)

Awesome Red.

It truly is THE blockbuster.

The theatre I was at was a big screen which was great.  I found that in my screening that the sound of the background noises was much more in tune and audible.  I could hear different bits of music in the background, or comments made in the distance.  I thought that aspect was great.

The Ben Gardner scene still got a huge response and after hearing about how that scene was made and how much it added to the movie, it was neat to see a smaller version of that play out with an audience last night.

• Like 1

Finally got around to watching this in one sitting. Yeah, it's better that way. Quint's monologue, the opening attacks, anything with Hooper; all great parts of the film that add up to a classic. Williams' score and Spielberg's direction both started out strong with this one, and I find it particularly impressive how the film keeps on re-inventing itself but always is enjoyable to watch. A real masterpiece. A+

Also, the Blu-Ray transfer of this is absolutely gorgeous.

• Like 4

Saw this in the theater when it came out - I was almost 11 & we were on vacation at the Jersey shore.  It was absolutely incredible - I was terrified & needless to say it pretty much ruined swimming in the ocean for me ever since.  Strange as it may seem back then we really didn't think of sharks devouring us - the first time I saw the size of that shark I was absolutely astounded - never knew there were Great Whites & they were that friggin big!!  The theater was packed & everyone from adults to kids were just gasping & screaming - the music was phenomenal - made you so scared before anything even happened!  We still laugh at my sister - she was so terrified by the end of the movie she was curled up on her seat & had pretty much stopped watching.  It was such a phenomenon - it was what everyone was talking about - you had to see this movie & all the kids had to have the Tshirt - it was beyond huge!

I have watched it too many times to count since then & it is still a masterpiece - loved growing up with this movie & seeing it in a different light when I became a grown-up.  Spielberg's characters are just so real - love the relationship between Roy Schneider & his wife - the little playful moment when his son is mimicking him at the kitchen table - just fantastic!  One of my favorite movies of all time & loved seeing my kids fall in love with it too!

• Like 4

Spielberg's characters are just so real - love the relationship between Roy Schneider & his wife - the little playful moment when his son is mimicking him at the kitchen table - just fantastic!  One of my favorite movies of all time & loved seeing my kids fall in love with it too!

Little character moments like that are as responsible as the shark-related thrills for this still being the best summer blockbuster of them all (or at least in the top 3). 99% of today's big movies either don't bother with scenes like that or don't pull them off nearly as well as Spielberg and his actors do. 

• Like 4

I got to see it on the big screen for the first time back in June (probably the same night as others who posted here), and it was a great experience. Even though I'm guessing that most of the audience had seen it before, the jump scares still got solid reactions. The best part, however, was a very regional touch. I saw it in Providence, which isn't terribly far from the beaches where the film was shot, and there was a guy sitting toward the back of the theatre who brought in a can of Narragansett - the lager beer that Quint drinks, which did a throwback can promotion this summer with a design identical to that in the film - and proceeded to open, chug, and crush it in time with Quint.  :lol:

• Like 10

Yeah, that was pretty good, it kept in the edge of my seat during almost the whole movie. It never got boring due to well-thought characters and masterful direction by Spielberg. I actually cheered at the end when the oxygen cylinder exploded. Only a master like Spielberg could maintain 100% of audience's attention such a long sequence like the final one in the boat, from the moment they go to hunt the shark to the ending. And oh, the practical Shark is really something else, one of the biggest achievements in history of cinema.

I think my favorite attack was that second one in the beach, I got shivers down my spine the moment the movie dolly zoom in Brody's face.

Surprisingly enough, one of the small quibbles I had with it was the score, while the theme is pretty memorable, the adventure-ish stuff from the later half is rather out of place, feels like it doesn't belong to movie I was watching before. 85/100

When I got home, I put my blu-ray into the player to check the picture quality and compare with the one I just watched in theaters, and sweet jesus, the movie looks even better than it looked in the theater's print I watched, the colors are much more vivid.

Edited by Lucas Marmol
  • Like 2

Jaws is a truly stellar blockbuster. Constantly thrilling although not necessarily scary, it exemplifies Spielberg in its focus on three strong characters and their fight against the elements - in this case, a great white shark. Shaw gives the best performance of the three, but Dreyfuss and Scheider are also fantastic. Spielberg's direction is exemplary and the film is perfectly paced. John Williams' score is also phenomenally iconic and still stands today after countless parodies. Jaws is another masterpiece from Steven Spielberg and an legendary film that lives to the legends. A+

Count me as one of those who managed to catch it on the big screen as well.

• Like 4

Anyone here knows how was the Jaws run?
I explain myself, Mojo says it grossed 260 M but Star Wars beat Jaws in is first release that made 221, i don´t understand this, there were any releases after 1975 original show??
if anybody knows something, would be nice to know, thanks in advance...

On 10/14/2016 at 7:49 PM, John Marston said:

showed this to a couple of friends and they thought it was boring. :sadben:

http://cdn.bloody-disgusting.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/798kQwL-620x400.jpg

You need to upgrade the kind of friends you have.

Sadly, I have no doubt some people findi it boring because someout is not being eaten every five minutes. 

What is sad is that some people find Quint's long monologue as to what happened t him on the USS Indianapolis to be boring,where as I think is is one of the best things in the movie.

In the what if department Robert Shaw was not the first choice of Speilberg to play Quint..he wanted Lee Marvin who turned it down. But Marvin recommended Shaw. Later Marvin was to say aftrer he saw the film that  turning it down was the dumbest thing he ever did.

Edited by dudalb
  • Like 1

On 1/18/2012 at 8:27 AM, 4815162342 said:

It's one of those few movies that improves a hell of a lot on the source material.

Absoutley. The novel spends a lot of time on soap opera crap, like the wife of the Sheriff having an affair with the Dreyfuss charecter.

It's really not that good a novel, to be honest.