Alpha

Why do people dislike TDKR?

Not smoking anything. I just don't have to worry about what others think of me. It's okay to have an unpopular opinion. I know what I like. And if you can't see the brilliance in films like Falling Down and Lost Boys, your loss.

• Like 1

Baumer can get awfully defensive at times. :)

But yeah, Schmucher got nothing on Nolan. I'm saying that even though I looove Falling Down! The dude in the clip who said that is just a poor excuse for a human being.

I'll post this again:

Nolan's 5 last movies:

Batman Begins - 85% on RT

The Prestige - 76%

The Dark Knight - 94%

Inception - 86%

The Dark Knight Rises - 87%

Average ~ 86%

Schumacher's 5 last movies:

The Phantom of the Opera - 33% on RT

The Number 23 - 8%

Blood Creek - 33%

Twelve - 4%

Trespass - 10%

Average ~ 18%

:D;)

Edited by Don Niam The Stingray

That's your opinion and you are entitled to it, but I think the only film that Nolan has done that is better than Falling Down is TDK. Inception and Falling Down would rank the same to me.

35. Anne Hathaway doesn’t go topless. You called the movie the Dark Knight Rises, it’s your fault...

23. The Bat’s autopilot is working, but Bruce decides to stay in the thing with about 6 seconds left before bailing because he just loves dramatic tension and has always wanted to contract leukemia. Maybe he had a fridge on the Bat...

22. There are mere hours left before the city is obliterated and Batman takes hours to create a burning symbol of a bat on one of Gotham’s bridges. Of course, this act probably would have led to the “citizen” detonating the fusion bomb (seeing how it was a direct act of defiance), but Batman does love his theatrics.

12. Batman learns nothing. In the Dark Knight Returns when Bats is beaten by the mutant leader, he comes back for a rematch, but uses what he learned from the first fight to win the second. No such thing here. He just goes after Bane again, and really he should have just had his ass handed to him again if not for an inadvertent elbow and a lucky plot device.

:rofl:

Edited by baumer

23. The Bat’s autopilot is working, but Bruce decides to stay in the thing with about 6 seconds left before bailing because he just loves dramatic tension and has always wanted to contract leukemia. Maybe he had a fridge on the Bat...

Bruce didn't actually stay in until 6 seconds were left, it's simple editing trickery. You show a shot of Bruce close-up, then you show a shot of the timer, and then you have the wide-angle shot of the Bat disappearing then the explosion. While the editing makes people think the shot of Bruce is chronologically right before the shot of the timer, it's a simple cinematic trick when really Bruce could have ejected at any point immediately following the previous exterior shot of the Bat (where the timer is substantially more than 6 seconds).
  • Like 1

I have seen TDKR 8 times and it got huge applause in the end every time. People loved it. It's inevitable that there are a groups of saddos, who start digging out mistakes and criticize a lot of things just because TDKR isn't a classic like TDK. It's still a mini triumph for Nolan and the haters can come back when someone else makes a decent third franchise film in this genre.

Edited by Alfred Unchained
  • Like 1

Bruce didn't actually stay in until 6 seconds were left, it's simple editing trickery. You show a shot of Bruce close-up, then you show a shot of the timer, and then you have the wide-angle shot of the Bat disappearing then the explosion. While the editing makes people think the shot of Bruce is chronologically right before the shot of the timer, it's a simple cinematic trick when really Bruce could have ejected at any point immediately following the previous exterior shot of the Bat (where the timer is substantially more than 6 seconds).

So Bruce is a friggin' liar,-To Gordon who took care of him while he was frail after his parents death,-To Alfred who brought him up as a watchful protector since his birth just to be left alone as a poor old man with the burden of failing him-To Selina ("No autopilot") to buy her kiss and stroke his Dark Knight. Just for the sake of manipulating audience with a cheap cinematographic trick. That shot is useless.
  • Like 1

Oh no someone lied and they're not 100% perfect, oh the horror.That's a useless excuse to rag on the film, personally disagreeing with the morality of someone's actions. The fact is, you're disregarding the plausible reading because you're butthurt about other parts ofthe film and want to plow into it as much as possible.

Maybe you guys haven't noticed but Bruce is far from being perfect. He's not a superhero. Just a man. I understand that for some people it's difficult to digest, Nolan's trilogy isn't campy, isn't cheesy, isn't supernatural. It's above anything else in the genre. IT's out of its genre.

Maybe you guys haven't noticed but Bruce is far from being perfect. He's not a superhero. Just a man. I understand that for some people it's difficult to digest, Nolan's trilogy isn't campy, isn't cheesy, isn't supernatural. It's above anything else in the genre. IT's out of its genre.

No, it's pompous, overserious and pretentious melodrama with a man disguised in a Batsuit. There's no "transcending the genre" or "above the genre" giggity at play, it's squirming through the genre. ("Stop nitpicking it to death, it's just a comic book movie" has sure been popping through this thread. Right when it suits your agenda).

Oh no someone lied and they're not 100% perfect, oh the horror.

That's a useless excuse to rag on the film, personally disagreeing with the morality of someone's actions. The fact is, you're disregarding the plausible reading because you're butthurt about other parts ofthe film and want to plow into it as much as possible.

Yeah, so your grand finale is build on a lie and what was the point of that movie again? That Gotham's peace was bought by Dent's Act which was purely based ON A LIE and THAT IS MORALLY BAAAAD!!! :rolleyes:

So Nolan failed on wrapping his story up to a greater achievement because in the end, it's tarnished by the fact that Bruce Wayne had to LIE AGAIN. Yeah, Bruce's way to inspire and shine GOOOOODNESSS in people's heart, Lesson 1: Lying to your beloved close relations by faking your own death. So, Nolan's goal was that Bruce started as immoral in comforting Gotham into a lie just to repel at the end in a comfortable lie...That's what you call a complete character's arc when one learns nothing from their bad deeds especially dealing with the morals of being a superhero?! Please...

Sure, Nolan is human. He ain't a super God of filmmaking like his Zealots are keen to believe. Only butthurt fanboys like you defend that piece of crap like it's the Second Coming. But Alfred Unchained said it, and that's a glaring reveal: That's not a superhero movie, that's a Bruce Wayne movie because Nolan hates the superhero genre and Batman too.

Edited by dashrendar44
  • Like 1

Yeah, so your grand finale is build on a lie and what was the point of that movie again? That Gotham's peace was bought by Dent's Act which was purely based ON A LIE and THAT IS MORALLY BAAAAD!!!

So Nolan failed on wrapping his story up to a greater achievement because in the end, it's tarnished by the fact that Bruce Wayne had to LIE AGAIN. Yeah, Bruce's way to inspire and shine GOOOOODNESSS in people's heart, Lesson 1: Lying to your beloved close relations by faking your own death. So, Nolan's goal was that Bruce started as immoral in comforting Gotham into a lie just to repel at the end in a comfortable lie...That's what you call a complete character's arc when one learns nothing from their bad deeds especially dealing with the morals of being a superhero?! Please...

Dent Act- Turned Gotham into a police state with massive crackdown on civil liberties/due process.

Bruce Faking Death- Turns Batman into a symbol that inspires, setting the stage for a new hero to take the mantle, one who the police department won't hunt down like a dog every chance they get.

I fail to see how the two lies are even remotely comparable. TDKR has a number of problems, but Bruce faking his death to achieve immortality for the Batman and get a happy ending is not one of them. Furthermore, treating all lies as equally bad is idiotic and ignorant of how the world works, especially since the people who care about Bruce the most learn otherwise very quickly. I am sure Alfred accepts being lied to in the end because the result is that Bruce is able to cleanly get away and get the life Alfred always wanted for him (Alfred's facial expression and nod at the end show that).

Edited by 4815162342

Dent Act- Turned Gotham into a police state with massive crackdown on civil liberties/due process.

Bruce Faking Death- Turns Batman into a symbol that inspires, setting the stage for a new hero to take the mantle, one who the police department won't hunt down like a dog every chance they get.

I fail to see how the two lies are even remotely comparable. TDKR has a number of problems, but Bruce faking his death to achieve immortality for the Batman and get a happy ending is not one of them. Furthermore, treating all lies as equally bad is idiotic and ignorant of how the world works, especially since the people who care about Bruce the most learn otherwise very quickly. I am sure Alfred accepts being lied to in the end because the result is that Bruce is able to cleanly get away and get the life Alfred always wanted for him (Alfred's facial expression and nod at the end show that).

Oh, there's such thing of "good lie" and "bad lie" like there's "good crime" and "bad crime", now? Wow.

Nolan had to rest upon that ill-conceived dream-like twist ending when Alfred and Bruce part ways smiling at each other to brush away the fact that he made him believed he failed him and that failure made him responsible of his death, that Bruce lied to him.

So Bruce comes every day at that very same table in that italian cafe expecting Alfred to come just to share a smile so he can now be rest assured he is not responsible for his (fake) death. If that poor old man Alfred had suffer a heart stroke from the grief of bearing Bruce's death on his conscience, he would still come every day waiting for him to show up? Laughable.

Edited by dashrendar44