Elessar

Weekend Estimates (Jan 4-6 2013)

• Founder / Operator

This is purely speculative but I think they are actually handling SLP very well lol. If this was marketed with a huge NFL angle, you might get a lot of sports fans in seats on opening weekend but they may spread awful WOM since the film is not exactly a football movie. On the other hand, these people might be willing to see the movie after hearing good WOM from people not focused on the sports-angle and then, it being sports related might help push them over the fence:

"hey, I hear this is a good flick, and it has to do with football" as opposed to "I just saw the new football movie which sucked because it was all about depression and personal relationships"

If the film was marketed with the NFL as a huge component I think people would see through it–the trick can only last for so long. I think the way the "fat men" are playing it will ultimately result in a bigger gross.

That kinda reminds me of Drive, which was sold as a racing movie and resulted in a lot of pissed of crowds on opening weekend. Fortunately, everyone one else was wiser and the film built a niche audience.
  • Like 1

House will win the weekend. Thing about ZDT is that it has already opened in many of the biggest markets so you are not going to see a huge opening weeekend. Around $20 million for ZDT and maybe $30 million for A Haunted House.

Edited by TLK

That kinda reminds me of Drive, which was sold as a racing movie and resulted in a lot of pissed of crowds on opening weekend. Fortunately, everyone one else was wiser and the film built a niche audience.

Fight Club is the prime example of this. Advertising that film as a "fighting movie" during WWF broadcasts... not sure that can be topped.
  • Like 2

Didn't THL come out in the summer? ZDT should do much better, with the Oscar hype timely

It did..i would not be surprised if ZDT does 100 mill if it gets 7-10 oscar noms

Lincoln outgrossed The King's Speech! :rotfl:

If it gets 12-13 noms next week what would be its final gross?

The weird thing about Lincoln's box office run is that it's showing no signs of slowing down. Its Friday today was almost as big as its Friday three weeks ago. Now, if it becomes the frontrunner of the Oscar race... 200 could fall. But we'll see how it holds next weekend.
  • Like 1

The weird thing about Lincoln's box office run is that it's showing no signs of slowing down. Its Friday today was almost as big as its Friday three weeks ago. Now, if it becomes the frontrunner of the Oscar race... 200 could fall. But we'll see how it holds next weekend.

200 million would be incredible!