Gopher

Your Top 10 of the Decade-So-Far

For me it's the opposite, I always consider decades to be 1991-2000, 2001-2010, etc, because the starting point for modern calendars is Year 1. Logic indicates there can't be a Year 0 since the first day we'd take note of time would be the first day of the first year (Year 1).

I hate hate hate that definition of a decade. Even something like 1995-2004 makes more sense to me. Edited by lab276

I've always considered decades to be 2000-2009, 2010-2019 and so on.True Grit is a great, great film yet it's not even in my top five for Coens. I think those two have produced more masterpieces than any American filmmaker working today, though a case could be made for Tarantino and Paul Thomas Anderson.

I watched True Grit in the Coen brothers home town.
  • Like 1

1.Inception2.The Avengers3.The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey 4.The Dark Knight Rises5.How To Train Your Dragon6.Captain America: The First Avenger7.Thor8.Warrior9.The Muppets10.The Help (Wreck-it Ralph, Tangled and Hunger Games are about tied with this)

1. The Social Network2. Drive3. The Tree of Life4. The Dark Knight Rises5. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 26. Toy Story 37. Hugo8. Inception9. A Separation10. LooperStill have a lot of movies to catch up on this year so it could change.

For me it's the opposite, I always consider decades to be 1991-2000, 2001-2010, etc, because the starting point for modern calendars is Year 1. Logic indicates there can't be a Year 0 since the first day we'd take note of time would be the first day of the first year (Year 1).

I understand the logic you are trying to use, but doesn't make any sense to me. Using your logic, the year 1990 belongs to the 80's, 1980 to the 70's, and so on...

I understand the logic you are trying to use, but doesn't make any sense to me. Using your logic, the year 1990 belongs to the 80's, 1980 to the 70's, and so on...

That's because terms such as the 80s, 90s, etc are vernacular groupings of years that have nothing to do with the actual calendar math. It's a way for the public to group things together even though it gives the first decade of the Common Era 9 years instead of 10.

• Like 1

That's because terms such as the 80s, 90s, etc are vernacular groupings of years that have nothing to do with the actual calendar math. It's a way for the public to group things together even though it gives the first decade of the Common Era 9 years instead of 10.

A small sacrifice.

The decade starts at 0. You can't call 1990 as part of the 80s as it clearly has a 9 in there. Therefore my list includes 2010.

1990 is not part of the 80s. The 80s is an artificial decade construct, which is fine for grouping things together even if not mathematically correct.

So the thread means best films of the 2010s, which is fine to group films, but just as the Millennium began January 1, 2001, its respective actual decade began also on January 1, 2001 and ran through 2010.

• Like 1

Nice to see The Social Network in so many lists.

1. The Social Network

2. Life of Pi

3. Melancholia

4. The Kid With a Bike

5. A Separation

6. Source Code

7. Life in a Day

8. The Turin Horse

9. Another Year

10. Toy Story 3

Edited by JohnnY
  • Like 1

Nice to see The Social Network in so many lists.

1. The Social Network

2. Life of Pi

3. Melancholia

4. The Kid With a Bike

5. A Separation

6. Source Code

7. Life in a Day

8. The Turin Horse

9. Another Year

10. Toy Story 3

Finally, I'm not the only one!

• Like 1